I so do not fit in... ^^;

EleganceLiberty

Reaction score
Heh.

Perhaps it's just me, but no matter which Muppet fan community I go to, I always seem to be the one that never is able to fit in for whatever reason. XD

One, I'm more into Fraggle Rock than Kermit, Big Bird and co. Don't get me wrong, I like Muppet Show and SS, but the Fraggles have always been where its at for me.

Two, I'm really into other things that people just do not get. And... I don't like explaining things, so I tend to keep my fanworks to myself in my fandom*hermit hideout in the mountain. ^^; (Plus whatever I do post is usually met with some hostile response. After the incident where I got chewed out for drawing movie*Marvin the Paranoid Android with Boober, I've been petrified to post anything else)

Three.... eh. I don't think there is a number three.

I dunno. It's just kinda hard for me to find a niche in Muppet fandom, and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar experience as well. (This isn't a 'pity me' post, iffen you're wondering. Just a statement and a question, really)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I definately know the feeling of not fitting in. Muppet Central is about the first place I have ever really felt 100% comfortable being exactly who I am without being afraid of people treating me like I'm from a whole other galaxy.

So, I don't really know what to tell you except that... um... crazy and abnormal can be good? I hope you don't feel too left out, and that you find your muppet fandom niche soon? Um... something along those lines? This would be so much easier if I knew what you needed to hear. I know, let's try this: <hugs!>

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
What I like about it here is that it's such a big community, with so many different kinds of people. I think if you poke around enough, and stick around, you're bound to find a group you fit in with here. I think most people here try to be friendly and accepting...

Here are some Fraggles for you:

:smirk: :excited:

Beauregard

Reaction score
EleganceLiberty said:
After the incident where I got chewed out for drawing movie*Marvin the Paranoid Android with Boober, I've been petrified to post anything else)
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry about that. You know, at the time I was in a really bad mood with (And I mean REALLY bad) mood with the new movie and the new Marvin. It wasn't your drawings that I was complaining about...sorry...I didn't mean to offend. And I should love to see more drawings.

Also, your posts doo count around here. After the chewing out you gave me about the catena thing, I have realised it was wrong, and moved on to making my own comics.

I always pause to read your posts because your ScreenName always catches my eye, and I remeber that your posts are worth reading.

Beau

Vibs

Reaction score
Oh... I'm... truely so sorry!! But I know the feeling too. In 10th grade for instance - I never fitted in and I mean it. It was strange, in my old class (1st to 9th grade - Where I met Minidoozer aka Mingostone!) I could be pretty much me, but then I switched school because my school didn't have 10th grade. And that was one annoying year: Most of the girls and boys in my class had done aaaaall those things - Hope you know what I mean so I don't need to go further... um.... And they were out drinking and PARTYIIIING every weekend. And I'm not really into drinking and partying. I mean, sure I like having fun (!!!) but not in that... way. Anyway, the point is that I never fitted in, because when I told people what I hadn't been doing, they sorta treated me like I was a little child, a little "not at their hiiigh level" child. - And I definatly think that was wrong. Okay, so I like climbing trees, I like doing strange things, I like "playing around" but that doesn't make me a little child does it? That just makes me a... strange... teenager... um ...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway... yes I know the "I'm not fitting in" feeling. But, I never realised that people on MC felt like that. I'm sorry if I have done anything that made you not feel welcome. If so, I'm really sorry. I just suggest you give MC another chance and that you go read the Hug thread immediatly ... :wink:

I hope everything will turn out to the better. We are one crazy bunch of people, a great great Family of world wide nuts and getting new familymembers is always nice!!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I think, after a number of years in the same situation, this is basically the best way to sum it up:

The Muppet fan community just isn't conducive to "fitting in." That is just the reality of it. Reasons:

1. Passionate fans vs. Regular fans - Lets face it; everyone on planet Earth is a Muppet fan. No matter who you ask, if the question posed is "do you like the Muppets?" the answer will always be a varying degree of "Yes!" With such a wide popularity, I find it hard to be a hardcore fan. They don't love it like we do, yet they still say "I love the Muppets." It makes it hard to express true fandom, I feel. I think that carries over to the internet. Thus, you get many fans coming and going on forums and other online outlets, which is not a characteristic of a cohesive community.

2. Opinions - There are a LOT of strong-minded folks who like the Muppets. And with such passionate folks come passionate opinions. Every element of the Muppets from the Disney take over to new productions draws a bevy of opinions. These opinions can get heated and lead to arguments. This is also not a good characteristic of a cohesive community.

3. Sources - Overall, there are 2 sources for your Muppet info; MC, and the "other place." This is basically the problem that cast me out of Muppet fandom for a long while. MC is very family oriented; thus, there is little room for adult-oriented commentry. The "other place" is very adult oriented, and can be too strongly worded for some. Thus, without any other options, its either you're in, or out. This could be good community building, except if the sources aren't to your liking, then you're sunk.

It is for these reasons that I feel the Muppet mega-fan community will always be a disbanded group of persons from around the world, sometimes touching on the main sources, but often just sort of drifting about without any real unity. Unfortunate, but thats the story as I see it.

Its exemplified by the fact that I started posting here about 3 years ago, and since then nearly every person I knew has discontinued posting. They've been replaced by people I don't know. Fits well with my theory, no?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
Its exemplified by the fact that I started posting here about 3 years ago, and since then nearly every person I knew has discontinued posting. They've been replaced by people I don't know. Fits well with my theory, no?
Speaking of which, how is Koozbane this time of year?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Hey Cantus, when you say "the other place", you mean Tough Pigs, right? Stopped going there a while back when I read the "Week with Elmo" bit. Anyway...

Now personally, I've always felt I fit in perfectly here, but that's just me.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
Lets face it; everyone on planet Earth is a Muppet fan. No matter who you ask, if the question posed is "do you like the Muppets?" the answer will always be a varying degree of "Yes!"
Actually I know one person who detests the Muppets, but she's also the kind of person who buys big purple dinosaur DVDs for her sprog so it's no great loss there.

EL: I always love to read your posts here and over at FR.com. I always feel a bit out of place here because I'm only just getting back to the Muppets via Fraggle Rock and, quite frankly, I hardly remember anything about it except I like Gonzo and Animal and my brother had a crush on Miss Piggy when we were very young. Frags has kindly lent me some of the movies and I'm waiting to get my sticky little mitts on some of the shows but generally I don't know what anyone is talking about over here and so I can't really join in.

Oh, and I would love to see some more of your art over here or at FR.com I have your Boober as a favourite on Deviant Art and I keep hoping for more.

That Announcer

Reaction score
luvtosr said:
Actually I know one person who detests the Muppets, but she's also the kind of person who buys big purple dinosaur DVDs for her sprog so it's no great loss there.
ARRGH! Have to send Animal on her.