I Think my Head's Been in the Clouds too Long...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
its tough....people want the next jersey shore instead of actually something good to watch
I wouldn't say "people" want the next Jersey Shore, but I know it's the network executives that do... people certainly know what they want, and it eems to me that people want more of what television USED to be like, but all the execs care about are the cash cows, and in this day and age, what's going to be the cash cow: a series featuring puppets in relatable, true-to-life situations; or two people getting tangled up in bedsheets?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know something to keep in mind that we only tend to hear about the huge, continuous success stories in the business. They're few and far between and not particular realistic. You don't hear about the working actors, directors, etc. who encounter more failure than success, but keep going anyway. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Bad Religion puts it oh so eloquently :

"Life is the crummiest book I ever read"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ahahaha?

But anyway, getting back to your point Julio, actually, as it turns out, although I have still done little miniscule YouTube videos, it seems like Steve's following has REALLY dwindled to practically nothing these days, which is really discouraging, because that leaves me with hardly any feedback to provide me with stepping stones towards making improvements and such, so I really don't know what people out there think anymore.

beaker

Reaction score
Have you ever stopped and realized that perhaps your hopes, goals, aspirations, ambitions, and dreams are simply far too grand and big for a little person like you to even begin to try to achieve?

*Shrug*
Nope. It's just about taking small principle baby steps each day toward realizing them. No positive aspiration is too big or small. You just gotta go for it.

beaker

Reaction score
Also, sometimes you gotta just go the online route. Instead of trying to go to design school or move up through the ranks in the media industry, I decided just to do an online cartoon on youtube. And soon I'll be launching a comedy vlog/sketch show on youtube. Best way to get out there really. So if you wanna do a puppet show or whatever, youtube is the way to go.

You people REALLY need to see this amazing new documentary. You CAN do it, if you want to is the message

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Beaker, can you repost that? All I see is blank space...

Snowth, I agree with all the other punters here: do NOT give up. Rethink, replan, reissue your work, yes online...make sure you link back to other puppet appreciation sites, comedy video sites, get the search bots to recognize your stuff under broader keywords than just your name or your show's. ALSO, GO LIVE. Go hassle local clubs of all stripes to give you a one-night show of your puppets (if that's something you can logistically do), work for free, just get into the public eye and get someone to film any such performance and then put the film online! Bug festival organizers, even if it's just small potatoes, to let you perform. (I get the opinion Frogpuppeteer does a lot of this and knows how to get noticed from the ground up.) Grassroots, baby! Hey, isn't there some weird band who started with an obscure video about walking track machines at a gym who're now working with Muppets? Huh? :big_grin:

Don't lower your expectations. Think small, plan big.

You think I count on my writing here to get me noticed worldwide? Of course not. But it's killer practice, and word of mouth has to start somewhere...

----------------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I don't consider lowering my expectations means I've lost the big picture. I'm the kind of person who would, if necessary, take out an individual speck of sand in order to clear a beach (eventually, LOL). I had lots of dreams when I was a kid: doctor, teacher, preacher, etc. Heck, I still want to rule the world. :big_grin:

However, the REAL depressing thing, sometimes, is when you lower the bar and things still don't measure up.

I've learned to stop planning the destination and just follow my heart on its journey. :smile:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Let me ask you guys something, do you ever take the time to stop and think that the fine lines between fantasy and reality have become so fine they become blurred and invisible?

Do you ever stop and think that perhaps you've maybe had you head up in the clouds a little longer than you should have?

Have you ever stopped and realized that perhaps your hopes, goals, aspirations, ambitions, and dreams are simply far too grand and big for a little person like you to even begin to try to achieve?

*Shrug*
Honestly, I think that like at least once a week. I'll get really excited about my dreams and career and then the next day I start thinking "Stupid dreams!"

And...sorry that's really all I can offer is empathy. I still haven't wuite figured it out so you probably don't want my advice on the subject. Though I would tend to agree with all the other people who are saying don't give up on it completely, though trying to be flexible seems to work.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Admittedly, I do have another new video planned for YouTube... I may finish it later in the week, I'm not sure... it's the sudden drop in views and such that's rather discouraging.