Inchworm

matthewxel

Reaction score
Now, this thread is not about the early Sam and Friends segment with Kermit nibbling on a monster's nose in which he thinks is a worm. Also, this skit has been done on the Muppet Show with Lenny the Lizard and Gorgon Heap.

It's actually about a song cover that has been done in 1971. The same as on The Muppet Show.

I'm asking, does anyone here know what the characters looked like and who they were performed by?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Inchworm wasn't preformed on Sesame Street.Sorry. :smile: :grouchy: :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I believe this sketch was also on the Ed Sullivan Show,and I'm certain the song is 'Gloworm'. I've seen the sketch of this with Kermit singing Gloworm on a wall(very casually),along slinks a small worm(usually from the right side,looks a little like an early Slimey).The worm pokes Kermit,and Kermit looks down at the worm,the worm backs up.They sniff each other.Kermit eats the worm and continues to sing.(Happens 3 times)The worm shows up again,pokes Kermit,Kermit tries to pull the worm.The worm becomes one long worm,which we find out is the nose to....a monster.The monster eats Kermit. I've seen the version also with Gorgon Heap & Lenny the Lizard too,basically the skit is the same. Inchworm was also performed(looking in Jim Henson The Works),on Sam & Friends.

matthewxel

Reaction score
Gee, Barry Lee. That's funny that you should say that, because it's on the SS lyrics archive and the CD rom "Numbers".

And JaniceFerSure, I'm talking about the song, "Inchworm".

It goes something like this:

"2 and 2 are 4.
4 and 4 are 8.
8 and 8 is 16.
16 and 16 is 32."

Censored

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the inchworm skit was in fact on Sesame Street. I remember seeing it on Sesame Street as a young child in the 70's and seeing it repeated on a mid-80's episode of Sesame Street.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I'm pretty sure that the inchworm skit was in fact on Sesame Street. I remember seeing it on Sesame Street as a young child in the 70's and seeing it repeated on a mid-80's episode of Sesame Street.
You're right. I have it in #2482, from 1988.

matthewxel

Reaction score
Boober Gorg, can you tell me what the caterpillar and inchworm looked like and who performed them and what color they were? :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Inchworm song

Okee doke, the Inchworm SONG was done on Sesame Street circa 1971, done on a set that looks like a garden with the Inchworm counting the marigolds
Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two

and a bug-like Anything Muppet

Inchworm, Inchworm
Measuring the marigolds
You with your arithmetic
You'll probably go far

Inchworm, Inchworm
Measuring the marigolds (miracles?)
Did you ever stop and see
How beautiful they are?

This was performed by Jerry Nelson and Fran Brill. Years later on the Muppet Show, Kermit, Fozzie and company sang it with Danny Kaye, who originally performed it in Hans Christian Anderson.

matthewxel

Reaction score
Thank U!! But who performed who? And what color were these insects? :confused:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
colors, etc.

Jerry Nelson was the Inchworm, and Fran Brill was the bug. Since at the time we still had a black and white TV the colors escape me. I'm really stretching here, but the Inchworm could have been green with black stripes, and the bug could have been blue (an early Twiddlebug, maybe?) You tell me what the colors were and I'll agree.