Inchworm

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah it was definitely early 70's (fuzzygobo says it's 1971) because I remember seeing it way back then on SS. And I know what you mean about the dimmer part. Interesting how a lot of other early 70's shows (like Hawaii Five-O and Emergency!) and movies too had that duller color. And also interesting how it seemed to be more noticeable on outdoor scenes (And Hawaii Five O and Emergency! took place outdoors a lot, as was the inchworm scene with a garden set.) It's like the green grass was a duller green and the blue sky was a duller blue but for indoor shows like "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" the color difference seemed not as less pronounced. :smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
At the risk of getting too off-topic, who remembers the TV commercial for a kids' riding toy called "Inchworm" from about 1973? This was a light-green toy that you rode, while bouncing up and down on the inchworm's accordion structure, though a different company had a model that stayed in a constant shape. The commercial had a high voice singing: (as best as I can decipher)

"Inchworm,
In the garden, ohhh
Want you with me everywhere I go
Inchworm, inchworm
I tell you a little (???)
Inchworm, I love you
Inchworm I love you"

Voiceover: "Ride up and down and up and down. On the Inchworm. From Romper Room."

See: http://www.timewarptoys.com/inch1.jpg for a pic

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes I sure do remember that commercial. In fact, when I saw the "inchworm" song on SS back then it made me think of the commercial. :smile:

And I think the line that you weren't sure of was, "I'm telling the truth."
And you helped me with the line, "Want you with me everywhere I go". The way that lady sang that line so high and emphasized I never could make it out. Always neat when finding something like that out and seeing how clearly it fits, both audibly and logically. :big_grin:

I also recall that final tag line, "The inchworm, from Romper Room." I also recall that children's tv show back then (was there a connection between the two?). Only saw it a few times. Like "Zoom", "New Zoo Review" and others, it didn't really endear me enough to keep watching. I was a viewer of the big three: SS, TEC, and Mr. Rogers! Oh, and also loved to watch "Wonderama". Remember that song, "Kids are people too"? Wocka doo Wocka doo! :smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
Romper Room was actually a locally produced TV show that was franchised to local TV stations, though there may have been a national version available. It was a product of Claster Television, the same company that created Bowling for Dollars, also locally produced.

But as for the connection, the Inchworm was apparently made by Hasbro, yet it like many other toys in the early 70s was marketed under the Romper Room banner. I think the popularity of the show made it a logical name under which to sell toys. Some of the toys were actually featured on the Romper Room show, most notably the "Romper-Stompers", those inverted buckets with rubber strings attached so you could walk on them.

Romper Room was a half-hour show, usually on about 10:00 or 10:30. Another morning kiddie show, Captain Kangaroo, was on from 8-9 (before it was relegated to early morning, then weekends only, then axed completely.) The "Sesame Street Complex" as a friend of mine used to call it, was:

Sesame: 4:00-5:00
Mr. Rogers: 5:00-5:30
Electric Company: 5:30-6:00

Then, depending on the year, either ZOOM and/or Villa Allegre (sp?) would follow. Sometimes I would catch "Lilias, Yoga, and You" which started beforehand at 3 or 3:30.

Wonderama, at least in the era I grew up, was on 8:00-11:00 on Sunday mornings. It was hosted by Bob McAllister.

Add in the regimen of game shows to the mix, and... hmmm, perhaps I watched a wee bit too much TV in the early 70s?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Danny Kaye was not the only performer to do Inchworm on TMS. The other was Charles Aznavour (who did it better, IMO).

Ziffel

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Romper Room was actually a locally produced TV show that was franchised to local TV stations, though there may have been a national version available. It was a product of Claster Television, the same company that created Bowling for Dollars, also locally produced.
And I lived in Maryland from 1969-1976 so I probably, like you, saw Romper Room on that local Maryland station. And I recall the show Bowling for Dollars back then too, so it must've been that local station.

SesameMike said:
Another morning kiddie show, Captain Kangaroo,
There's another children's television show I watched with regularity in the 70's. Forgot about that one. Bob Keeshan did a splendid job with the show.

SesameMike said:
The "Sesame Street Complex" as a friend of mine used to call it, was:

Sesame: 4:00-5:00
Mr. Rogers: 5:00-5:30
Electric Company: 5:30-6:00
There's the big three! And that sounds like it could have very well been the same schedule where I was too. SS was definitely on from 4-5 and I remember TEC showing around dinner time. I don't recall when Mr. Rogers was on, though. Also, on weekends I think SS was on pretty early, like about 6-7 or 7-8. Many times I would be up and watching SS while my parents were still asleep. :smile:

SesameMike said:
Wonderama, at least in the era I grew up, was on 8:00-11:00 on Sunday mornings. It was hosted by Bob McAllister.
Yes and, like Bob Keeshan, what a splendid job McAllister did. And 8-11 on Sunday mornings sounds exactly when it aired for me too. In addition to that closing song I alluded to before ("Kids are people too") remember the song ,"Well now that's really good news. I'm happy to say. Good good news today."? The good news from the kids in the audience was stuff like, "I got a new bike for my birthday."

SesameMike said:
Add in the regimen of game shows to the mix, and... hmmm, perhaps I watched a wee bit too much TV in the early 70s?
Heeheehee, yes. I vouch for that regarding myself. Starting in 1974, prior to SS coming on at 4 there was The Match Game and Tattletales from 3-4. After dinner there was The Hollywood Squares, The Price is Right (back then it was a half hour evening show) and Treasure Hunt. And I had to watch "The Flinstones" EVERY time it aired (which was 3 times a day at one point. One of which was conveniently right before I had to go out the door to walk to school). And yet, despite all the tv, I spent many, many hours playing outside, swimming at the local pool, riding my bike, etc. Wonder how I ever fit all that in!