1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Interesting thing about Muppet Central that can wreak havoc on people computers...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Movies205, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ok Jamie, thanks i understand. I guess maybe someone will create a more error proof solution for detecting flash in the future.
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The subject isn't dead - just have to find a better option. Issues seem to get magnified on the board and many of those who align themselves with an argument really aren't having the issues. It really is a rare problem, but we are always trying to improve the site. Fact is, there will always be a fringe group who will have issues with every site published on the web. We'd like to minimize that. It is certainly on the list, but that list contains hundreds of other things.
  3. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

My school allows internet browsing but you see they have slateaway or something so when you restart anything just added is deleted. So it doesn't matter if you install flash cuz you have to do it every time...
  4. Luke

Luke Active Member

I think people are just adding their views on the discussion - it might seem magnified because there are a lot of posts in the thread but it's not like anyone's saying it's a major problem. I think you've gottta remember it's more an 'Us' situation than a 'We' one - most of Muppet Central's content is written by users of the site, not just the 'staff', and they are the majority of people who use the site so as i'm sure is the case, their views and feedback are most important during the design process. I myself am very pro-flash and think you've done wonders with the site - it's a small download and enables a much more 'Muppety' surfing experience.

As you say, the main thing to deal with is the person actually having problems, and as a great designer i'm sure if in time you found a good overall solution that wasn't going to cause problems for everyone else you'd implement it. There doesn't seem to be a solution right now that wouldn't involve one of those pointless splash pages and it's not like there are lots of people having problems so it seems the best approach to take is the one you're already using.
  5. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

I don't have issues with the menus or any of the technical stuff which means nothing to me anyway, but I do think it would be a real plus if the forum had a link to "new messages" on every page.

I know others have said it too, and although you (Jamie) say that it does, I'll be damne8 if I know what you mean. I just think it is a pain to constantly have to click back through two pages to get to the new stuff. Seems like it should be a simple thing to do, but then again, what do I know?

(Edited to say that I didn't mean that the new menus are "meaningless"... they are very nice. Rather, I was saying that once you computer people start talking about the technical stuff, my eyes glaze over.)
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That option wasn't in the original design before we added the menu. To iterate what was mentioned in another thread - we are considering implementing that very option iin the new menu design that will be out later this year. It was something we initially wanted to add, but decided to save it for the upgrade a few months from now. You are right, it would help.

(Added the I to Implementing. Didn't type it for some reason)
  7. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

aww great big words....and they aren't even spelled right! :D now i feel better....sorry to pick on you!

Sarah
  8. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Oh he spelled it right, but I think he meant "reiterate".

:p
  9. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

i was looking at 'mplimenting' iterate is spelled right, though maybe not grammatically correct!!!!!

Sarah
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Iterate is the correct word. I think that particular statement about the menu was only made once. Unless you have heard me makd that statement repeatedly - in that case it would be rather silly for you to ask the question. :D
  11. FellowWLover

FellowWLover Member

Oh you meant reiterate alright, as I have definately heard you "iterate" it more than twice, although not to me.

I just keep hoping for an answer I like better I guess...
  12. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

hehe

Sarah
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I guess. Reiterate it is. I don't remember repeating it, but it happens sometimes with me - especially on a board where people seem to ask the same questions several times. I'll see if I can change that option soon since the new forum menu has been delayed. I don't much like the current one. Check later this week. It could happen.
  14. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

aww just rant and rave frogboy...i know you want to just scream at some people (me included i bet) so let it all out

Sarah

*ducks for cover*
  15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Re: We'll try to check it out.

MC has an intro page? Other than the home page??
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

We have no intention to create an intro page. I used ithat as a bad solution to a simple problem - get the Flash plug-in. However, we are considering ways to make a friendlier solution for those who have restrictions against the plug in (i.e. schools). That is what this thread is about.
  17. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

it was fine at our school!

Sarah
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Good to hear. That was a rare problem. We have an incredibly high success rate with the new graphics, but it's important to look into these issues in time.
  19. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

Well, there's a splash page on my website, and of course, it's there mainly to let people know to get Flash. On one hand, I hate it if a new surfer missed something because they didn't have Flash, and on the other, big notices like that are a drag. I get about 350 visits a month (thanks everybody from MC who visits), but my audience is a sliver of what MC gets. So, a splash page at MC telling people to get Flash would be a drag.

Up until this week, I was using Explorer 4.5 :eek:

I now jump back and forth between that and 5.1, but I don't like 5.1 because it's for Mac, and although I love Macs, I don't like the Aqua interface, and Microsoft has Aquafied their latest Mac browser.

Still, MC with all the new Flash stuff still worked perfect for me and my Mac with Flash 5 on IE 4.5 :D

Some schools and libraries are weird. If ONE person in admin doesn't care about Flash, nobody else can be allowed to download ANY app, so the Flash doen't get installed :(

Other than that, Froggy is right: Just get Flash :p
  20. anathema

anathema Active Member

I'd like to propose a compromise: a simple message, permanently on the front page, which says something like, "In order to fully appreciate this site, Flash is required. If you cannot see the menu bar at the top of the page, please download Flash from here.", and provide a link to Macromedia, or something. Then, people who don't have and have never heard of Flash won't be stuck looking at a blank space and wondering how to navigate the site.