Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

Beebers

Reaction score
Neat. That's rather intriguing, that they got it to rhyme.

It would seem that some of the humor, especially, might be hard to bring across in some languages. Very interesting.

:cool:

Whatever

Reaction score
I can't think of any good examples, but like Sirius Black turns into a dog, and the Dog Star is called Sirius. They probably call that star something different over there. It still is a great story. My German host sister likes Harry Potter better in English.

Whatever

Reaction score
Check out www.literature.org/authors There is a great list of classic books available online, including the entire Oz series, which we might want to brush up on if the rumors about the next Muppet movie are true!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
I had a hard time finishing it in English!

Jen
Hehe. Well, it was very strange to read in French, and mostly I could only figure out what was going on because I knew the story already. I found it amusing how they changed some of the names; i.e. Bilbo=Bilbon and Frodo=Frodon. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

Crazy-Animal

Reaction score
I recomend anything from Paulini simons she is a brilliant writer :flirt:

buckshot

Reaction score
i just started Noam Chomsky's "MEDIA CONTROL". very interesting book. makes you think.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
I just read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" and I loved it! It was a great adventure with several interesting twists and the author obviously spent a great deal of time doing his research.

The plot is about an attempt to blow up the Vatican. The story features the same character as the bestseller "The DaVinci Code" by the same author. I haven't read "The Da Vinci Code," but I certainly plan to now.
Yes Yes Yes!!! :excited: I loved both of these books!! Actually, I still have about 20 pages left of Angels and Demons but it has been fabulous! and The Da Vinci Code was one of the most facinating things I have ever ever read! You definitely should read Da Vinci right away if you havent started it yet! It's funny because in that one it makes a reference to "the Vatican incident" and I was reading that before I knew there was a prequel so I was confused as to why they never explained what that was! I also plan on reading Dan Brown's other two books, "Digital Fortress" and "Deception Point".

Another book I've read recently is "Chocolat" and I'd definitely recommend that, and "About a Boy". They were both great :smile:

Fozzie54

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
It's funny because in that one it makes a reference to "the Vatican incident" and I was reading that before I knew there was a prequel so I was confused as to why they never explained what that was! :smile:
That's what happened to me, too. I just finished the Da Vinci Code (incredible book!), and am starting the prequel, Angels and Demons, next. Wish I'd thought to read them in the correct order, but I'm sure each book stands well alone as well. :cool:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Fozzie54 said:
That's what happened to me, too. I just finished the Da Vinci Code (incredible book!), and am starting the prequel, Angels and Demons, next. Wish I'd thought to read them in the correct order, but I'm sure each book stands well alone as well. :cool:
That's what I was afraid of too but it really doesn't matter at all. The only real connection is Robert Langdon.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
I also plan on reading Dan Brown's other two books, "Digital Fortress" and "Deception Point".

Another book I've read recently is "Chocolat" and I'd definitely recommend that, and "About a Boy". They were both great :smile:
"Deception Point" was really good. I like that he uses women as central characters and tells parts of story from their point of view. It's hard to find adventure type storys with women who aren't just accessories to the men.

I loved "Chocolate" also. I thought the book was better than the movie, except that in the movie you could actually see the chocolate!

Jen