Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've thought the same thing for years! He's still making CD's, still touring, still writing great stuff...why doesn't he do something with the Muppets or Sesame? He'd be the perfect guest and it wouldn't matter if kids didn't know who he was. He can do all kinds of silly things to make kids AND adults laugh. I wish that SW would hire him as one of the writers or musicians or something. If they did, we'd get great, classic parodies with the same quality as "Born to Add" or "Hey Food". Heck, he could do versions of some of his own songs if he wanted. Can't you just see a version of "Eat It" starring Weird Al and Cookie Monster?:insatiable:
Not to change the topic here, but Al was interviewed in Muppet Magazine, and he made two guest appearances on the CTW show Square One TV (one of which was a performance of an original song, "Patterns", which was written by somebody else). he would be a good guest for Sesame Street. And most of his material is family friendly (though it seems his last few albums have contained lyrics more adult than he's been known for, but still not too innappropriate for the kids).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to change the topic here, but Al was interviewed in Muppet Magazine, and he made two guest appearances on the CTW show Square One TV (one of which was a performance of an original song, "Patterns", which was written by somebody else). he would be a good guest for Sesame Street. And most of his material is family friendly (though it seems his last few albums have contained lyrics more adult than he's been known for, but still not too innappropriate for the kids).
Okay. Let's put this all aside for a second so I can say this. The worst thing that every happened to the Muppets, Sesame or otherwise, is that we could NEVER get these guys together. They NEED to go together. They have to. But on the flip side, look how long it took him to hook up with the Simpsons, even though he mentioned them, and used a sound clip of a Moe/Bart phone conversation, in a couple of his songs.

You know, I've seen cleavage my whole life, but I've seen a lot of things my whole life: trees, birds, skies, buildings, dogs, cats, cars, butterflies, rain, clouds... Because, like the cleavage, it's all there, it's everywhere you go, and there's no avoiding it like there's no getting away from the letter T or any other letter of the alphabet (reference to a skit from The Muppet Alphabet Album), I just don't see why people get so ballistic over it.

Until this whole bruhahahahahaha, I didn't know much about Katy Perry, as I've been out of the US for all these years. I've seen the video before the controversy broke out, and like the guy in the video said, it was anything but what the parents said. Like I said, I've seen cleavage my whole life, even before I could talk. I didn't even bother to bother (personally I'm more into booty, but that's not the point).
I agree FULLY. And as someone outside of the US, you have to admit, we look very puritanical in what we expect. We have some of the most PC, anti-violent, prudish standards for our kids and their programming and we idolize scumbags like the Jersey Whores. Snooky has her own line of costumes and bobbleheads. And we DARE talk about morals and ethics in our media? Reality shows are the most dangerous threat to our morals because there's just so much sleaze and muck and mire. Double crossing, double dealing, do anything to stay ahead, and above all, laugh at freaks you're glad you're not. That stuff is sick.

Look at the Tiger Woods thing. We idolized the crap out of him and he does something HUMAN. Same with Mark Maguire. And hypocritically enough we paid more attention to making sure Michael Phelps was the worst person in the world for doing pot, while 90% of Baseball players went years before they were caught doping up. It's not good time Charlie recreational hedonistic stuff... it's to CHEAT.

I'm sorry, but the only morals we NEED to fill our kids with are to play fair, not lie, not hurt anyone, and not to bully others. Yet, when we send these kids out into the real world, they learn that you get ahead by NOT playing fair, lying and cheating, and bullying others... the hurting people is just icing on the cake. That will warp a kid more than Katy Perry's outfit and/or her California Gurls (which INDEED is on Kid's Bop).

Sure, I'm glad we're out of the 3 year olds wearing Playboy Bunny shirts and bumping and grinding before they can walk period. Katy ISN'T one of those artists that tried to get kids to do that. Her outfit is not going to bring back the slutification of little girls. And I'm glad SW stayed away from people like Britney Spears back then. That I object to. if they're physically telling your kids to do something wrong, THEN that's completely inappropriate.

That said, banning the skit is NOT going to stop someone from hiring a sex offender who covered his tracks as a soccer coach, or protect your kid from a passing bullet from a gang member's car. If you want to protect children, go to source of mayhem and evil. Donate to food pantries. Support local schools. Hire disenfranchised youths. Get politically active in trying to get starving kids in bad foreign countries where their kids have REAL problems. That's protecting kids.

Nick22

Reaction score
Okay. Let's put this all aside for a second so I can say this. The worst thing that every happened to the Muppets, Sesame or otherwise, is that we could NEVER get these guys together. They NEED to go together. They have to. But on the flip side, look how long it took him to hook up with the Simpsons, even though he mentioned them, and used a sound clip of a Moe/Bart phone conversation, in a couple of his songs.

I agree FULLY. And as someone outside of the US, you have to admit, we look very puritanical in what we expect. We have some of the most PC, anti-violent, prudish standards for our kids and their programming and we idolize scumbags like the Jersey Whores. Snooky has her own line of costumes and bobbleheads. And we DARE talk about morals and ethics in our media? Reality shows are the most dangerous threat to our morals because there's just so much sleaze and muck and mire. Double crossing, double dealing, do anything to stay ahead, and above all, laugh at freaks you're glad you're not. That stuff is sick.

Look at the Tiger Woods thing. We idolized the crap out of him and he does something HUMAN. Same with Mark Maguire. And hypocritically enough we paid more attention to making sure Michael Phelps was the worst person in the world for doing pot, while 90% of Baseball players went years before they were caught doping up. It's not good time Charlie recreational hedonistic stuff... it's to CHEAT.

I'm sorry, but the only morals we NEED to fill our kids with are to play fair, not lie, not hurt anyone, and not to bully others. Yet, when we send these kids out into the real world, they learn that you get ahead by NOT playing fair, lying and cheating, and bullying others... the hurting people is just icing on the cake. That will warp a kid more than Katy Perry's outfit and/or her California Gurls (which INDEED is on Kid's Bop).

Sure, I'm glad we're out of the 3 year olds wearing Playboy Bunny shirts and bumping and grinding before they can walk period. Katy ISN'T one of those artists that tried to get kids to do that. Her outfit is not going to bring back the slutification of little girls. And I'm glad SW stayed away from people like Britney Spears back then. That I object to. if they're physically telling your kids to do something wrong, THEN that's completely inappropriate.

That said, banning the skit is NOT going to stop someone from hiring a sex offender who covered his tracks as a soccer coach, or protect your kid from a passing bullet from a gang member's car. If you want to protect children, go to source of mayhem and evil. Donate to food pantries. Support local schools. Hire disenfranchised youths. Get politically active in trying to get starving kids in bad foreign countries where their kids have REAL problems. That's protecting kids.
ew. jersey shore. reality shows and the disgusting people that are in them (who are famous for being famous) are congesting the media.

i think that katy perry is a perfectly acceptable example for kids. i mean some parents are just outta their minds. "oh no! they aren't wearing a floor length skirt and a turtle neck sweater! BAD EXAMPLE!"

and do parents think that they're children are never gonna see cleavage? i mean, honestly. it's not gonna kill them. ugh. ridiculous in my opinion. this whole thing.

beaker

Reaction score
Seriously, what is this the Muslim Arab world where women have to be covered up? I saw the outfit, nothing inappropriate...and usually I have a keen eye and ear for things that seem out of place for it's target demographic.

But times change, this isn't the 80's. Remember the way women dressed in kid's shows?(Pee Wee's Playhouse, B-52's videos, etc)
****, remember the "Disney kids movie" Roger Rabbit? Holy cow was that dark and adult. Jessica Rabbit would not fly in 2010. And John Lassetter completely redid the classic late 80's Pixar short "Knick Knacks" because of the girl's cleavage. It's like woman have breasts. Unless they are rail thin like a model, they have boobs. We haven't turned into a fundamentalist nightmare country ran by Sharia law yet.

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing how even a religiously conservative parent could be outraged by Katy Perry's outfit. Methinks it has more to do with the fact she had a song about kissing a girl, and we all know nothing more evil in America than themes of being gay.

beaker

Reaction score
So let me get this straight...pro war propaganda Sesame specials where Elmo and Rosita's dad get wounded blowing up people=ok.
Katy Perry=bad. Hmmm, yeah...ok

hey gang,

I gotta say I back SW on this decision. I like breasts as much as the next guy but that dress was, in my opinion, a bit too revealing for a show directed at 3-5 year olds.

We're not talking about politico groups here. We're not talking about network censors. We are talking about parents who work hard to raise their kids as best they can and that's hard enough in this day and age. As a parent, I personally would have felt very disappointed if the one place I knew was kinda safe and kid-friendly for my daughter, wasn't as kid-friendly as I've always known it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts from some of the other MC parents.

--Matt
I agree...IF the dress was too revealing or if the song was filled with inappropriate inunendos. Maybe I'd have to hear the original song, but I didn't hear any inuendo stuff.

Only reason I can see banning the clip is it has Elmo, whom I consider unfit for humans of any age

they can have a woman breast feadding but that gets banded lol
The Dutch Sesame Street had adults bathing nude with kids from what Warrick and other Sesame fans have told ,e. So thankfully we've come a long way from that

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone remember how the Republicans in Washington tried to get rid of Sesame Street and public broadcasting?

If I was a celeb on Sesame Street, I'd specifically ask to work with Telly and or Oscar.
I'd refuse to work with Elmo, for me it's allll about Telly, Murrah, Ovejita, Hoots, and heck I even like Abby for all practical purposes

Above all

GRAPHICALLY ALTER THE FOOTAGE
AND

And everything will be fine.
why? Forget that, censorship through altering scenes is worse.
Look how Steven Spielberg removed certain words and digitally altered guns into walkie talkies in ET. I mean, that's just ridiculous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously, what is this the Muslim Arab world where women have to be covered up? I saw the outfit, nothing inappropriate...and usually I have a keen eye and ear for things that seem out of place for it's target demographic.

But times change, this isn't the 80's. Remember the way women dressed in kid's shows?(Pee Wee's Playhouse, B-52's videos, etc)
****, remember the "Disney kids movie" Roger Rabbit? Holy cow was that dark and adult. Jessica Rabbit would not fly in 2010. And John Lassetter completely redid the classic late 80's Pixar short "Knick Knacks" because of the girl's cleavage. It's like woman have breasts. Unless they are rail thin like a model, they have boobs. We haven't turned into a fundamentalist nightmare country ran by Sharia law yet.

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing how even a religiously conservative parent could be outraged by Katy Perry's outfit. Methinks it has more to do with the fact she had a song about kissing a girl, and we all know nothing more evil in America than themes of being gay.

I was not going to play this card. But I'm GLAD someone did. Hey. We have the same fundamentalist values as the same people we've been hotwired to hate, don't we?

If "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It" was a reason for the complaints, I want SS to air the skit completely and utterly, and TWO times this season. There is NOTHING I hate worse than parents who say "Don't teach this stuff to my kid! I wanna push MY prejudice and hatred I got handed down" and strangely resemble Biff Tannen that you see pulling books from libraries.

So let me get this straight...pro war propaganda Sesame specials where Elmo and Rosita's dad get wounded blowing up people=ok.
Katy Perry=bad. Hmmm, yeah...ok
To the person who said Jim and Joe would be rolling in their graves for the inclusion of Katy Perry... okay, Jim was pretty flirtatious, and he was a bit artistic/bohemian so he would no doubt say that's AOK. And Joe... he did the theme song to Three's Company. You KNOW what I'm talking about. But I'll be nwarffed if implying Muppets going off to war isn't the most offensive thing SS has ever done, even if they were trying to do good by it.

The Dutch Sesame Street had adults bathing nude with kids from what Warrick and other Sesame fans have told
You can apparently do that in EVERY OTHER country except for the US. Heck, certain places people of the same gender have public baths and bathe together and no one thinks anything wrong about it. But hey, American culture... there's a difference between modesty and introversion.

And here's the worst part that NO ONE seems to be getting.

Combine this with the bad press from the Fox News flap and whatever other things some yutz can complain about (I swear Tea Party people are going to get insulted over the veggie protest bit)... Sesame Street WILL start to repress itself, leading to finding subject matter kids need is a little too bold and risky, and certain guests they'll steer clear of. Ladies and gentlemen, Sesame Street is a bold show. We showed breast feeding and mentioned DEATH. You can't even say someone got killed in an action cartoon. We had Richard Pryor on the show... We had the Simpsons on the show when the PTA was whining about how realistic Bart was. And no 4 year olds grew up to drop cherrybombs in the toilet. You're not going to have your boys turn into Quagmire, and your girls aren't going to dress any wilder than they did 5 years ago when we were hotwiring them to become little ho's and NO ONE pulled Bratz off the shelves. Guy who created them looked like a dirty old man anyway.

And freaking California Gurls is on Kid's Bop and NO ONE complained.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And freaking California Gurls is on Kid's Bop and NO ONE complained.
Well, they probably changed the lyrics for it. "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror appeared on their Halloween album from a few years ago, and changed some lines ("But it's the pelvic thrust" became "But it's the way you shake it" :/).