Kermit and Ernie

BWSmith

Reaction score
If you listen to the evolution of Ernie and Kermit over time, both appear to gradually get closer to Jim Henson's natural speaking voice (and thus increasingly like each other).

However, if you go all the way back to the beginning and listen to the first Ernie and Bert sketches, it becomes clear that the gruff (angry-looking) Bert was intended to be a kind of "Ralph Kramden" clone, with the serious attitude, and Ernie was a complementary "Ed Norton", with a more carefree, zany outlook and mannerisms. I suppose the Honeymooners was the standard model at the time for what the "urban comedy duo" was supposed to sound like.

(If you aren't familiar with the Honeymooners, you could also compare the voice of "old Bert" to Fred Flinstone and the voice of "old Ernie" to Barney Rubble...)

While Ernie gradually trailed off toward Henson's natural speaking voice, Oz latched on to the idea that Bert was supposed to be really boring and appears to transition from a Kramden voice over to a more generic "nerd" voice.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I think all the way back, and Kermit just never sounded like Ernie totally to me.
eh they do sometimes, sirtain words, stuff like that, actualy when I was little I was able to pick up on that Grover and Yoda were the same person (pretty good for a 6 year old) lol, now anythine I liston to the muppets or some new puppet, I try to figure out who plays them just by hearing the voice. :smile: its like my appreatioaton started with just the puppets, but now more of the puppeteers.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
BWSmith said:
If you listen to the evolution of Ernie and Kermit over time, both appear to gradually get closer to Jim Henson's natural speaking voice (and thus increasingly like each other).

But in a way this was good, cuz no offenc to Jim (who I love dearly) but when he sang Bein Green the first time, it was awful! and later ones that he sang were much better, he just got used to the voice, he became Kermit. Same with Ernie :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

Ziffel

Reaction score
I don't remember ever seeing Kermit and Ernie interact with each other either. But also, I don't remember Kermit and Bert ever interacting, which would have been much more feasible since it would have been Henson and Oz. There was a Grover and Ernie I recall (Grover counts Ernie's balloons by popping them) and also a Grover and Bert ( which was Oz with Oz ). That was in a Prairie Dawn musical sketch. Grover was supposed to say ears in one line and says bellybuttons instead. Bert then chastises Grover for botching the line that they had rehearsed for together.

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I don't remember ever seeing Kermit and Ernie interact with each other either. But also, I don't remember Kermit and Bert ever interacting, which would have been much more feasible since it would have been Henson and Oz. There was a Grover and Ernie I recall (Grover counts Ernie's balloons by popping them) and also a Grover and Bert ( which was Oz with Oz ). That was in a Prairie Dawn musical sketch. Grover was supposed to say ears in one line and says bellybuttons instead. Bert then chastises Grover for botching the line that they had rehearsed for together.

Kermit and Bert were together on the Subway skit, but they didn't really interact with one another.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
But in a way this was good, cuz no offenc to Jim (who I love dearly) but when he sang Bein Green the first time, it was awful! and later ones that he sang were much better, he just got used to the voice, he became Kermit. Same with Ernie :smile: :stick_out_tongue:
I have to agree with that. I downloaded the first version of 'Bein' Green.' Kermit just didn't sound right there.

Censored

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I have to agree with that. I downloaded the first version of 'Bein' Green.' Kermit just didn't sound right there.

Is that the same one that's sung on the Sesame Street 1 album?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fighbird said:
Now this is stretching my brain here, because I only saw it when it aired originally - but didn't Ernie and Kermit interact in the 30 years special?
No. The Count introduces them, and then we cut to Bert and Ernie and they talk to wach otehr without disterbance (except the removel of Bert's nose...) but Ernie does not talk to Kermit.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
That's funny you mention this because of all the recent music trading I've gotten to listen to some very old stuff and newer stuff, and not only did Jim's character voices change in a positive way, but he developed a truly beautiful singing voice, I mean I enjoy listening to Kermit or Rowlf sing the same way I enjoy listening to Freddie Mercury, it's just become a very tuneful and beautiful sound!

In the book "Jim Henson - The Works", it makes mention that neither Jim or Frank were good singers in the begining and say rather tongue in cheek that they were pretty bad, but developed over time. It does elude that one (of thousands) of reasons Richard and Jerry were brought on was how well they could not only sing, but harmonize too.