1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Kermit and Miss Piggy to present award at Oscars

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Auberoun

Auberoun Member

Sig worthy...
  2. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

what were the other times they appeared at the oscars?

i know the one in '79, and then '82. what were the others?
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Jim Henson and Richard Hunt performed Kermit and Scooter as presenters for the 1986 Academy Awards.
  4. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

5. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

I remember Miss Piggy was on in 1996 when host Whoopi Goldberg was trying to get a satellite link to Hogget's Farm to talk to Babe the pig but instead Miss Piggy cut into the feed. Classic! :)
    panmanthe2nd and Abb Green like this.
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

was not Piggy also with Grocho Marx?
  7. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

Wow! This is great!!! :)
  8. panmanthe2nd

9. panmanthe2nd

Is that anywhere on YouTube? I've had a look and can't see it.
  10. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I'm ABSOLUTELY THRILLED that Kermit and Piggy will be presenting!!!

Despite the ridiculous decision to drop the Best Song performances, there's no way a broadcast honouring the past year in film could not have included the Muppets in some fashion, after the world (and the entertainment industry in general) welcomed them back with open arms.

Thank you to panmanthe2nd for that link to the Academy Award section of Muppet Wiki. Until I saw that page, I had no idea that Kermit performed "Rainbow Connection" at the 1980 Oscars (although I knew it was nominated), or that Kermit and Piggy sang "The First Time It Happens" at the '82 Oscars (or that the song was nominated that year), or that Statler and Waldorf also appeared with Kermit, Scooter and Jim Henson at the '86 Oscars. Very cool.

"The First Time It Happens" lost to "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" at the '82 Oscars...that's just so weird and bizarre I can't even see straight when I think about it...
  11. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

It would be such a HUGE number if Walter and Jason could do it....I can just see it now...Jason walks out...rain in the background starts singing...and all of us home give a thunderous applause!!!!!! LOL
  12. heralde

Wow I didn't know that either. Well I have to admit, I like both songs a lot, lol.
  13. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

WE WANT AN OSCAR! WE WANT AN OSCAR!
  14. heralde

I saw that appearance at The Paley Center for Media a few years ago and I wrote about it on the RHLC thread:

Kermit gives a speech about how animated characters can do anything (as opposed to real people). Then when the time comes to announce the winner, Scooter realizes he can't open the envelope! (You know, cause his hands don't work that way!). Kermit gets all flustered saying, "I just got done saying animated characters like us can do anything!" :)

They cut quickly to Statler and Waldorf in the audience (I think they wonder why these technical problems weren't fixed earlier!), and then back to the stage where now Jim Henson has replaced Kermit and opens the envelope. Jim briefly sounds like Kermit as speaks so he clears his throat and says, "Sorry, I had a frog in my throat!" Scooter laughs at that (sort of humoring his bad joke, lol) and Jim says, "I haven't done that one yet!"

Unfortunately, Richard didn't appear in that bit, probably they figured no one would know who he was, unlike Jim. Still, it's nice to see Scooter listening to the winner's acceptance speech. It keeps the Muppet magic of the moment.
    MrBloogarFoobly likes this.
  15. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I wish that stuff would find its way to Youtube! I wasn't alive in 86. :p
  16. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

there's a clip of kermit and piggy singing at the 1982 ceremony. and there's one of piggy introducing rainbow connection at the 1980 one, but kermit singing is cut out

i haven't seen the 96 one, i don't know if it's out there

i wonder if they'll do the red carpet. that'd be cool
  17. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

I know I saw that on youtube one time but I don't think it's there anymore.
  18. panmanthe2nd

Me too!
  19. panmanthe2nd

That's fine!
  20. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i wonder if they'll do the red carpet. probably not, i guess it'd be too difficult, technically. unless somebody talks to them behind the scenes or something.

maybe they'll show up on jimmy kimmel's big oscar special he does after the show. i hope we get to see them somewhere other than just the stage, that'd be cool
    panmanthe2nd likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.