kermit the frog

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
The pattern posted here in the forum has 6.5" from the tip of the nose to the base of the back of the neck written on the pattern, are you saying I should increase that size to almost 14-16.5" at the upsizing of 125-150% you mentioned??? that seems aweful big..?.. JH must have had some BIG hands!!

Lynn

Melonpool

Reaction score
125% of 6.5 is 8.125 inches. 150% is 9.75 inches. You must have a decimal point in the wrong place.

Here's how I'd figure it out. Take the mouth pattern and see how your hand fits from the tip of your middle finger to where it would meet the palm of your hand. Adjust the size of the mouth plate up until it fits. Now, bring the rest of the pattern up the same percentage. Add about 3 inches of fabric to the length of the neck. You may cut off a lot of this later, but it's good to have extra.

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!

I figured it by taking 6.5 and doubling it (100%) to get to 13.5" and then added another (50%) 3.25 making it 16.75"

It did it on the calculator the first time and got the measurment you got and I said "no that can't be right" and then did it my way. LOL.

Lynn

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
what kind of mouthboard did the real Kermit have? Something flexible obviously- would Gasket Rubber do?

Melonpool

Reaction score
I believe they use gasket rubber on the real Kermit. You could probably use a thick vinyl or leather, though. I'd steer clear of cardboard or foamcore, though.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Just a tip, but if anyone needs to scale up/down puppet patterns a quick way to do it is on a photocopier.

turbosinaboy

Reaction score
It has been a lot since last post.
I have begun to make my own Kermit Puppet (I scaled the pattern to 175% by the way).
What i can't figure out is how the stuffing is done. From some videos I realize that the head is not fullfilled. Does anyone can give a hint on how to stuff the head?

pashmonster

Reaction score
That is the pattern I used, i only used the mouth plate and the head pattern but i just kept scaling it up until the marking of the eye was same size of the half ping pong eye.

Just a little tip i used one peice of antron for the head, placed two pattern head peices like a mirror image and placed the front of his face between the eyes and the top of his lip so there is no visible seam at the front.

Check out my pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53875519@N02/5319632476/in/set-72157624941311336/

Mark

pashmonster

Reaction score
Just keep trying, mine isnt fully finished i need to do the eyes but the weather is bad so cant spray my ping pong balls white outside yet. You cant go wrong using that pic of the master replica one, just needs pulling into place and trimming to get it right.