1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Kimmel Editorial: A Note from Steve Whitmire

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Oct 10, 2003.

1. SammieRose

SammieRose New Member

I'm with you, Jamie..... I love the hair! When was this "debate"? I must have been MIA for it?

SSS!
    Sammie
  2. jediX

jediX Active Member

Original or 2000? I havn't seen either in years.
  3. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Have you seen "Trading Places," the Dan Ackroyd and Eddie Murphy classic? Frank Oz plays a police officer in that film. Also, if you watch Star Wars (Episodes One or Two) on dvd, you can see and hear Frank in some of the bonus features--the documentary on the creation of the digital Yoda in Episode Two, for example.

:)
  4. Don'tLiveonMoon

Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

Great write-up, Nik, and it's so cool that you got a personal response like that! :)
    Erin
  5. jediX

jediX Active Member

Oou! Just realized tha Frank does voice commentary in the Bowfinger DVD (which if you've never seen, go get).

:: pops DVD in to listen ::
  6. jediX

jediX Active Member

This is strange. I've been listening to this commentary for a bit now and I SWEAR I've heard Frank somewhere else before. Don't you hate it when you can't pinpoint a voice? Gaaah...
  7. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Wow. That's awesome. The Muppeteers are always so friendly and approachable. How thoughtful of him to send that. You rock, Steve!

Nik: Yeah, that is a great building, isn't it? I frequently have to drive past there while driving en route to someplace else. I'm always craning my head as I drive by, hoping to see someone I recognize! So far, a no go, though.

Re Frank's voice: There are many Henson documentaries where you can hear Frank's real voice. If you haven't seen "Of Muppets and Men" (BBC, '81), "Henson's Place" (PBS, '84), or "American Masters: The Worlds of Jim Henson" (PBS, '94), hurry over to the Wanted section of this forum and get yourself a copy from someone. :smirk: (I'd offer to do it myself, but I don't have 2 VCRs at the moment.) There's also "An Evening with Jim Henson and Frank Oz" ('89), which is available on video from the Puppetry Guild, I think. Someone else will need to fill in the details of that one. (I haven't seen that one yet, but I definitely need to!)

I think Frank might also have been involved in the "Biography" episode about Sesame Street, which should be available on A&E's website. My memory's kind of foggy, though; can anyone confirm this?
  8. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Sarah,

Sweeps lasts for an entire month. Sweeps months are always in November, February, and May. (I think they also do it in July, but that's outside of the regular TV "season," which runs from September through May.) For some odd reason, sweeps months always start on a Thursday (don't ask me why), so this year, Nov. sweeps should last from Oct. 30 to Nov. 26 (the day before Thanksgiving).

Hope that helps.
  9. jediX

jediX Active Member

My best guess about sweeps starting on Thursdays is because that was the timeslot for Seinfeld and now Friends (I think...I havn't seen Friends in years).
  10. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

He is in both of them.
    You can also try to take a look at "Spies Like Us".
  11. Amazing Mumford

Amazing Mumford New Member

Well, many other classic shows had Thursday time slots before Seinfeld and Friends. Cheers and The Cosby Show are two that come to mind.

I think Frank Oz speaks on The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson. He introduces one of the segments and talks about his friendship with Jim.
  12. AndyWan Kenobi

I think he played a bunch of those Muffin characters, or something...

:p
  13. jediX

jediX Active Member

I know THAT, but I swear I've heard him commentating something else too.
  14. AndyWan Kenobi

I were only foolin' ;) I couldn't tell if you were joking in your post...

Seriously, though, maybe you've listened to commentary on another of his movies? Or maybe you've seen him in interviews without realizing it? I remember how surprised I was when his voice popped out at me in the middle of seeing Monsters Inc. for the first time. Perhaps Mr. Oz is just everywhere!!
  15. jediX

jediX Active Member

Neat, I had no idea he was in Monsters...I'll check that out when I find time.

Hearing his commentary to Bowfinger was sort of like listening to a voice I'd known all my life although I'd never really heard him talk normally until then.
  16. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

spies like us? I know we have that, but I've never looked into it....*must hunt down DVD*

thank you guys for answering my question.....*goes on sarah's list of bad names*
  17. jediX

jediX Active Member

I got that years ago at Wal Mart for like 6 bucks, but I've yet to actually watch it.
  18. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

yeah dad's friend got him that DVD a couple years ago, and we watched it once...and now, it's starting a dust collection any person could be proud of
  19. jediX

jediX Active Member

Is the movie any good?
  20. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

it's interesting....I didn't care for it, much, but it had a few good lines in it