Land of Gorch hatred

Davina

Reaction score
on the other hand... would the muppets have developed in the ways we all came to love if they'd been left on SNL?? who knows what would have happened to them, or if we'd have ever had the chance at all the wonderful things that came later? (trying to be optimistic about their "booting"...)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's true, The Muppets certainly proved them wrong. The Muppet Show was in a way, their own version of SNL, and it worked!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Jim was still trying to get a Muppet prime-time show on the air when SNL came out.

There is that theory that the Muppets were on the show primarily to distance themselves from Sesame Street, and show they could work for adults as well as kids. Thus, The Muppet Show, appealing to both, and neither should be embarassed that they watch it.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Of course i agree..the 1st season is the best...

candygram!

landshark!!

Tim

Reaction score
Loren Michaels fought for Jim and said he would have rather had "the Kermit & Piggy" types, and both agreed it just wasn't working. Jim accomplished a LOT with those little sketches. The first Muppets without "cartoon" eyes and they were a step futher in creating The Creature Shop stuff.

And in case you are wondering, they felt as creepy as they looked.

As for the first season of SNL in was great (and I saw them all "live from New York")-the single best show they EVER did was the Richard Prior show..

"THE BED IS ON MY FOOT! THE BED IS ON MY FOOT!"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
I don't know about that. Jim was still trying to get a Muppet prime-time show on the air when SNL came out.

There is that theory that the Muppets were on the show primarily to distance themselves from Sesame Street, and show they could work for adults as well as kids. Thus, The Muppet Show, appealing to both, and neither should be embarassed that they watch it.
Oh I wasn't implying that Jim was trying to copy SNL. I know he'd been working on the idea of The Muppet Show for years. It's just that it ended up being a very similar show, and in a way, a sort of justice after being unappreciated on SNL.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Davina said:
and, of course, Gilda hosted an episode of TMS (along with a large singing carrot...)
She didn't host, she gues tstarred. Kermit was the host. There is a world of difference.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Ah, Scred. A face only a mother (and Lily Tomlin and Gilda Radner) could love. Yeah, Gilda seemed to like working with the Muppets...and after all, she did eventually cross the pond to work with Jim and the gang on TMS.

You know, I think there's an SNL reference in the Roger Moore episode of TMS; one of the animal spies comes up to Roger during the 'I Talk to the Animals' number and hands him a lit bomb, saying 'Candygram.'

Super Scooter

Reaction score
heralde said:
Oh I wasn't implying that Jim was trying to copy SNL. I know he'd been working on the idea of The Muppet Show for years. It's just that it ended up being a very similar show, and in a way, a sort of justice after being unappreciated on SNL.
... actually, I was writing that to Davina's comment right before yours was posted. Sorry about that.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
heralde said:
And then, years later, the Muppets (as in the Muppet Show Muppets) made a few guest appearances on SNL.

I'll bet that when that happened, up in heaven, John Belushi blew a few capillaries...while over on their cloud, Jim and Richard had a good solid laugh.