Land of Gorch hatred

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Steve Martin was never a member of the SNL cast. He was a frequent host, but never a Not Ready For Prime Time Player.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully? Then why was it that whenever he was introduced it was along with the rest of the cast, alphabetically by their last names, just before Garrett Morris and Bill Murray? Thought the hosts were set apart from the rest of the cast, either introduced first without regards to last name alphabetization or by means of Don Pardo saying "...with your host...".

Davina

Reaction score
i think it became kind of a running gag that he'd hosted so often he was an unofficial member of the cast..

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The Count said:
Rully? Then why was it that whenever he was introduced it was along with the rest of the cast, alphabetically by their last names, just before Garrett Morris and Bill Murray? Thought the hosts were set apart from the rest of the cast, either introduced first without regards to last name alphabetization or by means of Don Pardo saying "...with your host...".
The only time Steve (or any other host) was mentioned with the cast was on the 30-minute "Best of SNL" edits. These shows were syndicated eps of the 75-80 years, and at the top of each episode, the cast, with the host, was listed alphabetically.

For instance, on the 30-minute edit of the Desi Arnaz show, Don Pardo says, "It's the Best of Saturday Night! Starring Desi Arnaz, Dan Aykroyd", etc.

The complete 90 minute shows always singled the host out from the cast. In the early years they were given "starring" billing, before the musical guests or the cast.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Davina said:
i think it became kind of a running gag that he'd hosted so often he was an unofficial member of the cast..
Steve Martin hosted the original SNL between 1976 and 1980 (the second-to-last show with what remained of the original cast). He, along with Buck Henry and Elliott Gould, hosted the most shows within those first five years. These three were often "go-to" guys (especially Henry), if the show needed a host at the last minute. Several hosts booked for the show in the early days backed out (Diane Keaton because of nerves, John Travolta because his reps thought doing the show would ruin his chances at an Oscar win for "Saturday Night Fever"), and Lorne would turn to his dependable hosts. Martin, Gould and Henry never quibbled about material that wasn't written specifically for them, and proved easy substitutes, which is why Buck Henry traditionally hosted the final show of the season. By the end of the season, the cast and writers were burnt out, and working with Henry was easy, as many of the sketches were written for past shows and/or other hosts that somehow never made it to air.

When Lorne returned to SNL in 1985 after a five-year hiatus, Steve came back to host, and he was on and off for the next ten years. I think his last appearance as host (to date) was in 1994, but he has appeared in cameos since then, and participates in the retrospectives produced over the years.

I think I read that Alec Baldwin has one more show to do to tie Steve's hosting record. Today Alec Baldwin, John Goodman, Tom Hanks and Christopher Walken seem to be the most recurring hosts.

What was this thread originally about again????:confused:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Steve once said he never really considered himself part of the SNL group. Despite his "wild and crazy" persona, he considered himself much "straighter" than the others.

evilhopscotch

Reaction score
I had never heard about the Gorch sketches till this thread. Is there anywhere to view them?

And Winslow Leach, don't I know you from the Tim Burton Collective board?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
evilhopscotch said:
I had never heard about the Gorch sketches till this thread. Is there anywhere to view them?

And Winslow Leach, don't I know you from the Tim Burton Collective board?
You mean there's another me floating around in cyberspace??:eek:

Sorry, evilhopscotch, that's another W.L. at the Tim Burton board. I used to frequent a Brian De Palma discussion board as W. Leach.

Glad to meet ya!

evilhopscotch

Reaction score
Aww darn. That's funny though. I might have to note the W.L I know and tell him about the coincidence :wink: