Leave Frank alone

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel said:
I'm sure Eric and Frank have talked about the characters, but the performance Eric gives is the result of his own hours of patient effort.
And I'd say it's paid off! Eric's an excellent performer.

-Kim

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel said:
You may have, but it's not really true. The simple explanation is that if Frank were available to coach someone else, he would use that time to tape appearances instead. I'm sure Eric and Frank have talked about the characters, but the performance Eric gives is the result of his own hours of patient effort.

secret squirrel
thanks secret squirrel, it's great to clear up stuff like that!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
And I'd say it's paid off! Eric's an excellent performer.

-Kim
Yes, he is, indeed. All the Muppet performers do their job wonderfully, in all respects.

btw, Bill Barretta does Rowlf the Dog, John Kennedy does Dr. Teeth, though I'm not sure if he's the permenant performer of the Golden Tooth or not.

Like Sarah said earlier, people like to do a lot of different things. Personally, I love puppeteering! I always have. But recently, I've done a few projects where I can step behind the camera, and direct (these are all cheesy little personal projects I do on the side...), which makes me side for Frank even more. His decission to direct is well made. It's a wonderful, amazing experience to do that! I like it back there even more than I do performing my characters. Don't get me wrong, I still love puppetry, but, there's something so enjoyably different about directing. It's wonderful! So, I can deffenitely see why Frank directs, and I can assure you, he's not gonna give up on the Muppets easily. I'm sure he loves the Muppets, he's even stated it! He feels a loyalty to the company, and may never leave completely.

And, of course, even Jim stopped performing for a little bit to focus on directing more. As far as I know, there was only one scene in Labyrinth where he performed one of the puppets. Don't quote me on that. I'm not entirely sure. I just know he's not listed in the credits, but there is only one picture I've seen where he's under a puppet for Labyrinth. It's in the first scene with the Goblins when they're all gathered around listening to Sarah wish for the goblins to take Tobey away.

Luke

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
John Kennedy does Dr. Teeth, though I'm not sure if he's the permenant performer of the Golden Tooth or not.
He's not, Teeth is unassigned i think but John does a great job at all his characters when he gets the call to step in and do them when the occasion arises. As for Frank, he has had his problems with 'JHC' over recent years but details of that aren't really pulblic (and nor should they be) and i agree that his career direction is his own choice. It's cool that he supports the Henson Foundation and is involved for the most part.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
cool

i thought that there was another person that did Dr. theeth then rolf. And you all are right Frank is doing a great Job all of the guys and ladys are. maybe you all could help me figure somthing out . in a earlyer post somone said Dr. thhe was an unassinded Charitture. well who makes the call now that jim is gone who does what i would think that it would be brian, but im not sure. so if yeall know please share. :zany:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There has been much fan speculation on the place Frank Oz holds with the Muppets these days. It is unclear to us whether he is really preoccupied or is phasing out the performing side of his Henson duties. In the end, it's not very important what we think about the issue. Only one person knows the answer and that's Frank. I'm sure if he wanted to come back and do something Henson welcome him enthusiastically. It doesn't seem likely from the track record of the last few years, but it would be exciting.

I certainly don't think anyone is against Frank Oz at all. He has brought much joy into the lives of his fans and deserves to do what he chooses. Personally, I'd like to see consistency in character performance. If that means Oz is back in the fold or Eric totally takes over full time it doesn't really matter to me. Either way, the bear and the pig are in capable hands. I just hope the Muppets become a solid entertainment force like they once where and have regularly assigned performers. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
dwayne1115 said:
i thought that there was another person that did Dr. theeth then rolf.
Bill Baretta does Rowlf, Dr Teeth is unassigned but his most recent performer has been John Kennedy. They all do a great job, as does Eric Jacobson especially i have to say. The Muppet performers are a pretty informal gang, obviously at the end of the day it comes down to the management as to who does who but for the most part the performers try and out the characters and decide that way - not everybody can do certain voices and things so it's not like picking someone at random. I agree with Jamie that consistency with the performers is the key, and it's equally important that the characters get used as much too so i'm pretty happy we are seeing some of the old favorites back again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Frank does play Cookie and Grover from time to time, but David Rudman and Eric Jacobson fill in the characters so that they'd make more appearances. Frank has done a number of Global Grover Segments, Hawaii, Alaska, Baths around the world...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
As was said, Dr. Teeth is currently unassigned, though John Kennedy played him in Muppets From Space, and Dave Goelz (currently performing Waldorf, another Jim Henson character) performed him in the Muppet Treasure Island Cd-Rom thing. John Kennedy is quite good at the Tooth, of course, I've only ever heard him say but one thing: "Shalom!" I've never played the MTI game, but, if it was anything like his Waldorf, he'd do pretty good at. But, he would sound a bit more like Uncle Traveling Matt than anything else.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
John Kennedy is quite good at the Tooth, of course, I've only ever heard him say but one thing: "Shalom!"
it isn't just me who has liked that Shalom! line!