Lip Synching Technique

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Personally, my favorite part of puppets right now is lip synching to real songs. Anyone else here like to do that? What are some of your favorite songs to lip synch to? Do you have any techniques? Come. Share. Learn. :wink:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, depending if the song was prerecorded, I find it helps to sing the song to yourself while lip synching with the puppet. That way you can have a better reaction time of when to move the mouth, but thats just me

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Yeah I do that too. Kind of helps your hand get into character, per se.

daughterdeadly

Reaction score
I like making my puppets lip synch too, it's good practice for when I do puppet shows and stuff.
'Cause it helps me to make my puppet look more relistic when they are talking (you know,it actually is harder to have your puppet lip synch to songs then to regular talking? I think it's because it's not your voice and...)Is this making since? Cause it just doesn't sound right on my end, it sounds confusing...

As you can see, I'm a new member...

faze

Reaction score
i think that is a really good idea, helps you get familiar with movement of mouth, im new to puppteering and think i'll try this technique

puppetise

Reaction score
hey i think practicing in front of a mirror and moving with the puppet works
as you practice so you can get a feel

or sit down some were with no puppet and relax and play the song become familiar and move your hand in time if there a more then one singers focus on the one your mimming

muppetperson

Reaction score
You could always get technical and get a machine to lip sync for you, using sound impulses like they did in the British TV series-Thunderbirds.Anybody know if the technology has become wireless?Jim Henson creature shop has manuel radio control but I am not sure if it works automatically by recorded sound?

Blink

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Personally, my favorite part of puppets right now is lip synching to real songs. Anyone else here like to do that? What are some of your favorite songs to lip synch to? Do you have any techniques? Come. Share. Learn. :wink:
I do that every morning on my drive to work.

You can try lip synching to the radio, and use different techniques. For example try moving your hand to every syllable of the song (pretty tricky on fast songs). Then try leaving out a few syllables. Notice how it feels. Obviously in the car is not a good time to check out your success in the mirror, but you can get a very good "feel" for the movement.

Also try turning it to a talk radio station and try to keep time with the people talking for a challenge. Use the two different techniques and see what happens.

The more you practice the better you get.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
You could always get technical and get a machine to lip sync for you, using sound impulses like they did in the British TV series-Thunderbirds.Anybody know if the technology has become wireless?Jim Henson creature shop has manuel radio control but I am not sure if it works automatically by recorded sound?
Actually, the Creature Shop uses a type of automatic, pre-recorded lip sync on some of their characters. It's completely wireless.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
The Movie "Team America" used some amazing technology where the mouths were controlled by computer and activated by the voice. Its on the special features of the dvd.