1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mary Louise, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Probably should have mentioned that in my first post.
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've been watching the El Sleezo sequence from The Muppet Movie online, and noticed that when Kermit walks by a table where the waiter is serving frogs legs, one of the people at the table looks like Doc Hopper. Not sure if that's actually him or not, but he's dressed similar, and I thought I saw somebody at the table who resembles one of his henchmen. Though I didn't spot anybody who looked like Max at the table. There was also some woman at the table, but in the movie Doc was not known to have a love interest or hench woman. I always thought that when Doc first sees Kermit, he and Max were about to enter the place. I wonder if it's possible they were leaving and Max suddenly noticed Kermit on stage.

Also noticed that in the scene with Madeline Kahn, after she leaves, she walks up the stairs, and she keeps turning her back towards the camera.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I just noticed that in "The Muppets," in the background of the Tex/Bobo fencing scene, it almost looks like The Today Show is on the TV right before the Muppet Telethon preview appears. I can't see it well, but it really looked like The Today Show's screen layout. (with the correct title spot on screen, and the right bottom bar)
  4. minor muppetz

I've noticed that The Jim Henson Company has released the Dog City special on DVD under the title "Dog City: The Movie", despite the fact that the series hasn't been on DVD (except for those Amazon burn-on-demand discs), hasn't been rerun in years, and I'm sure many aren't aware of the series (there's also the fact that the special is a special and not a movie). The DVD release of the special really should have had a bonus episode or two so people would have an idea of what the series is.

I've also noticed that The World of Jim Henson lacks certain clips that would be expected. Back when I first heard of the documentary I was expecting it to have Mahna Mahna and Rubber Duckie, but neither clips appears, not even briefly and without their audio in clip montages. And now as I'm older there are more clips that I'm surprised aren't included, like Kermit and Joey singing the alphabet and the Turn the World Around number (in fact, a long time ago on Toughpigs, I saw something that mentioned this documentary, and Danny said he couldn't remember what clips were included, guessing those two clips because they are always in retrospectives... I wonder if that was a joke or if he guessed wrong). Heck, the montage of clips from commercials doesn't include any Wilkins Coffee commercials. It's also interesting how that documentary includes interviews with Harry Belafonte, yet the documentary does not include any clips from his appearances on The Muppet Show or Sesame Street.
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I assume they probably did the release title thing so that us fans wouldn't go crazy thinking that the series was finally receiving a release. :p
  6. minor muppetz

I've noticed that in Muppet Classic Theater, nearly all of the supporting characters are incredibly idiotic. All of the established characters in the special (except for Fozzie) play most of the only smart characters; the only new characters who seem to be intelligent are the wolf (in both stories he's in) and the elves. Maybe also the banker. We get Miss Piggy being stuck with a family of stupid pigs (Poppa Pig as well as Andy and Randy), various idiotic townspeople (especially ones who overreact to what sheppard Gonzo tells them, and who when Gonzo is right don't believe him and berate him for all the times he lied when he never actually lied all those times, even mayor Kermit acknowledged previously that he had a habit of overreacting), a loyal advisor who seemed to care more about his castle award than finding king Kermit a special wife (thinking the gold Rumplestilksin made was a trick when Piggy was in the dungeon, keeping an eye on that gold while Piggy made more).

And on the subject of Muppet Classic Theater, I thought of a line in the "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?" number. Earlier, when Gonzo tells the townspeople what he's overreacted to, all the townspeople except for Kermit as the mayor are quick to overreact as badly (if not worse) than Gonzo. Clearly Kermit knows better, but then in the song, Kermit says "You had us running from a hundred-foot-cow". "Us"? So I guess that implies that the mayor had at least once overreacted to the sheppard's overractions. Maybe he knew better quickly.
  7. minor muppetz

Been watching some Muppet Babies episodes lately. I noticed that in the episode Puss 'n Boots 'n Babies (which must be Bean Bunny's first appearance), when Nanny shows up to announce a surprise for them, they mention that they were surprised as well because Bean Bunny showed up to play. Nanny wasn't aware that anybody came, so.... Did Bean just knock on the door and one of the babies answered the door all on his or her own?

On a sorta opposite note, I noticed that in Good Clean Fun, after the babies have made a mess in the kitchen, Nanny mentions making lunch for them after she cleans the place up, but Bunsen nervously turns down the offer and leaves the house with Beaker. So are Bunsen and Beaker actually capable of coming and going on their own? It seems Nanny didn't take them home, and they seemed to just leave like that, without expecting any parents or guardians to take them.

And in the episode where Nanny gives Gonzo some cookies for all the babies, but then Gonzo decides not to tell the others (because they didn't want to watch Gonzo's stunt), Nanny just comes home from the grocery store, not realising that it's past lunch time. So did Nanny just leave eight babies alone in the nursery without any babysitter or adult supervision?
  8. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the first two, but I was always curious about the last one. Probably just a case of the writers not worrying about those minor details.

Though I do remember one episode where Bunsen and Beaker randomly showed up by flying through the nursery's window via a new invention.
  9. minor muppetz

I've noticed that on The StoryTeller, characters who get forced to serve end up getting fair payment anyway.

In "A Story Short", the Storyteller gets punished for tricking the cook and the king decides that for his punishment, the storyteller must tell one story a day or get cooked, and the king decides to give the storyteller a coin or whatever a day. The storyteller says that's his usual fee, but if he's being punished for a crime then why should he get payment?

And in "The Soldier and Death", the soldier forces one of the devils into swearing to serve him faithfully. The soldier also cuts that devil's foot off. Several years later, when the soldier's son becomes ill, the solider offers to give him back his foot in exchange for helping his son recover, and then releases him from his promise to serve in exchange for the special glass that allows one to see Death. If the devilw as supposed to be serving the soldier, then why would the soldier have to give him back his foot and release him?

Additionally, it seems like the soldiers wife first meets the servant devil at the time that the boy had been ill. But this occurred many years after the devil had agreed to serve the solider, which happened before they got married and before they had a son. So this devil had been serving the soldier and yet during that time the wife hadn't met her husband's servant?
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Though not really a little thing, so to speak, I noticed for the first time today while watching GMC that right around the time of the whole pizza thing with Kermit and Fozzie, when Nicky and the girls are entering the Mallory Gallery, it quickly shows Nicky's sock, which looks very colorful and as if it was in some way supposed to be embarrassing. Not sure what it was, it flashed too fast, but something interesting.
  11. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Nicky's socks are running gag throughout the movie.

"Mr. Holliday, did you order a box of flowered-socks?".
    miss kermie likes this.
  12. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I noticed in MCC, what not that said, "even the vegetables don't like him" was not in jail, and he was performed by Frank (sounded like him) Them the same what not was in jail in "it feels like christmas" and he performed by someone else.
  13. minor muppetz

In It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, when Piggy answers a call for her psychic service, Miss Piggy tells the customer that it's "for entertainment purposes only", and then accidentally mentions over the phone that she's not really psychic, to which the customer hangs up. But if she had said it was for entertainment purposes only, why would it matter if she really was psychic? Shouldn't that have clued the customer in that she's not really a psychic and it's all just an act?
  14. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

They probably want to cover themselves in case some desperate person sued them saying "hey psychics are supposed to know the future, and she was wrong, I didn't meet my soul mate". You never know what people will sue about.
  15. minor muppetz

After watching The Frog Prince quite a bit lately, I must wonder if King Rupert, Princess Melora, or Featherstone knew about Sweetums being in the dungeon (well, Melora might, since she knew Taminella was a witch).

It's also interesting how it's said that Taminella put that spell on Melora so she couldn't tell the king she was a witch. I would have thought it was so Taminella could convince the king to make her the queen instead. Or maybe it's a little of both (Taminella planned it that way all along, and Melora just happened to find out she was a witch).

I've noticed that after her powers are gone, her royal clothes transforms into ragged clothes. I would have thought the fancier clothing would have been different, instead of her turning her old clothes into better clothes. But maybe it doesn't matter.

After watching the scenes of the peasants reacting the ways Featherstone orders them, they start booing and hissing after Featherstone says "enthusiastic cheer" when Taminella is announced to be the new queen... I wonder if they misheard it as "enthusiastic jeer", as that's the only time they go against what he tells them to do. After watching it I wondered if I misheard "jeer" with "cheer", but I'm sure he did say "cheer". Featherstone didn't seem to know Taminella was a witch so shouldn't have made them jeer, though it sorta seems he didn't think too much about her (that could just be me). If he knew she was a witch, he should have told the king (unless he was concerned about her making him talk backwards as well).

I've also noticed that many of the peasants seem to have a stiff, mechanical
    movement. I guess it's so they can have more puppets than performers, but it is a bit weird to watch. I can tell some of them are naturally being performed by performers, but many look like they are held up by poles or something and their mouths being moved maybe by string or radio controls (did they have radio control technology back then?).
  16. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

On "Business Business", when the green creature starts his first line, the blue creatures mouth opens, almost as if Jim forgot it was Jerry's line...
    miss kermie likes this.
  17. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that constantly notices Kermit's little face twitch? It's a tad weird, but I suppose when a puppet doesn't have a solid facial structure, sometimes you'd need to adjust your hand to kelp the shape.
  18. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

When Daniel comes to assist Kermit in IAVMMCM (2002), the following dialogue makes a subtle, indirect reference to the Muppet Central website:

:): Hey, who are you, and why are you breathing on me?
    Daniel: You're alive, now I can save you!
    :): Yeah, well do me a favor and don't bother, nobody can save me!
    Daniel: I think I can, you see, my name's Daniel, and I've been sent from above in the name of justice to right a wrong, and help you get the theater back.
    :): You? You like some kind of ice cream man from "Hello, Dolly".
    Daniel: Well, normally, I'm an accountant.
    :): Yeah, well, normally I'd like to sit and listen to this, but I've got other things on my mind, goodbye!
    Daniel: No, no, you don't understand; I know that Bitterman changed the contract.
    :): How did you know that-- Oh wait a second, you don't run one of those Muppet Internet fan sites, do you?
  19. chudman1000

chudman1000 Member

I was re-watching The Muppet Movie for the umpteenth time today, and one thing that I never noticed until today was that during the "motorcycle cop" scene, anytime they cut to show Dr Teeth in the drivers seat, you could see next to him that he had a picture of Big Bird. Now I don't know if there was meant to be any significance to the picture (I also noticed in the same scene there were quite a few bird decorations in the Electric Mayhem bus) but least it shows that he must have made it to New York and broke into Public Television by that time as the picture was of him in fromt of the 123 Sesame Street doors lol.
    CountFan1998 likes this.
  20. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

In the Jim Henson Hour episode Secrets of the Muppets, the animation company that Jim visits (in his demonstration of Waldo) is PDI, which now makes up half of Dreamworks Animation. And Rex Grignon, the on-duty animator, was head of character animation on the Madagascar films.