Love's Long Journey

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully good start here Beth... Few things though...
Uncle Traveling Matt still leaves the rock and sends Gobo postcards? Thought that obstacle was solved when they found what is now known as the T. Matt Fraggle Cavern. It's a cavern with a sort of Doozer statuette and stairs that lead to a lower cavern. Inside that cavern there are multiple arches, which lead to different points in outer space. This cavern was featured in the episode Red's Blue Dragon, and the episode where Doc and Sprocket are painting garden gnomes.

The relationship hookups... Reminds me of Christy's story... And though I kind of understand it, why is Boober linked with Mokey? Thought he and Tosh were the ones who'd hook up, at least that's who Boober had a crush on like Wembley has one for Lou.
Oh well, post more when ready please.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Ed! I'll have to see if I can find that episode at some point, it's been a few years since I've seen most of the episodes of Fraggle Rock, just started watching again last year when the DVD's started coming out.

I sort of took a cue from Christy and hope she doesn't mind too much with some of the pairings going on.

It is true that Boober may have had a crush on Tosh, but I also thought with Mokey's sweet, gentle spirit she may be the perfect person to deal with some of Boober's neroutic tendencies. I also remember a little less about the Fraggle characters not part of the original Fraggle Five, so I guess that's also some motivation for the pairings. :smile:

Anyway, I really do appreciate the feedback, I should have a third chapter up at some point today.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
All righty, here's chapter three, a little longer than the first two chapters. Please continue giving me feedback, I should've put a disclaimer that it's been a few years since I've seen most of the episodes of Fraggle Rock considering I am a pretty big fan. So, I'm doing as well as I can! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Chapter Three:

Red couldn’t sleep that night. Mokey came back really late and was humming softly. Red turned over to face her.

“I’m sorry Red, did I wake you?” asked Mokey.

“No, I was awake. I can’t sleep,” said Red.

“That’s too bad. Why can’t you sleep?” asked Mokey.

“I’ve got a lot of stuff on my mind,” said Red not really in the mood to talk.

“Well, if you need to talk, I’m here,” said Mokey.

“Yeah right,” muttered Red.

“What was that?” asked Mokey.

“Um, good night,” said Red and turned over to end the conversation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next day Red gathered her friends together in the Great Hall along with several other Fraggles around their age who were also beginning to act peculiar.

She wasn’t surprised when she noticed Mokey sitting right next to Boober and Wembley sitting over by Lou. But, this was the very thing she wanted to address, especially when she saw other male and female Fraggles pairing up in similar fashion around the large table.

The only Fraggle sitting alone was Gobo. He caught her eye and smiled, but Red just scowled at him.

“All right Red, why don’t you tell us why you wanted us all here,” Gobo said finally.

“Fine, I will. It has come to my attention that many Fraggles have been gallivanting off to the Cavern of the Sparkling Lilies!” said Red giving special emphasis to the last part. To her disappointment, no one said anything in reply.

“Come on you guys! There’s only one reason Fraggles ever go there!” exclaimed Red.

“Yes, young Fraggle you are correct,” came the voice of Uncle Matt from behind her.

“Oh man, Gobo’s Uncle Traveling Matt. Could my day get any worse?” muttered Red.

“I’m here to try and help you understand what is happening with your friends,” said Uncle Matt.

At this point, most of the Fraggles gathered began to disperse when they realized Red was just off on one of her tangents. They didn’t need for this to be explained to them. Mokey, Boober, Wembley and Gobo stayed behind though. Red was still their friend and appeared to need them.

“I told all of you this many years ago when you were still quite young, but I will tell you again because it is upon you,” said Uncle Matt.

“Humph,” said Red.

“Red! Listen to what Gobo’s Uncle has to say,” said Mokey. She really hoped this would help her friend feel better and see what she was missing.

“As young Fraggles come of age, something inside of them begins to change. The water on Fraggle Pond glistens in a new light to them. They see flowers and dewdrops wherever they go,” started Matt.

Mokey sighed as she knew exactly what he was talking about.

“They also begin to notice other Fraggles in a new way. Before they realize it, they find a connection, a spark with another Fraggle. Then, they travel to the Cavern of the Sparkling Lilies, a special and magical place where they declare love for one another and begin a journey of discovery,” continued Uncle Matt.

“I knew it! I knew that’s why people went to that Cavern!” exclaimed Red.

“Then why did you call us all together for a meeting if you knew?” asked Boober.

“Because it’s foolish! We’re too young for this! Because after the journey of discovery….” Red began to say.

“Comes the commitment of marriage and the beginning of a new Fraggle family,” finished Gobo wistfully.

“Right! We’re not ready for this! Guys, this is crazy! Everything is going to change! I like it the way it is!” exclaimed Red.

“But you’re wrong young Fraggle. You are all at the age where this should be happening. It’s a natural part of life. Part of your journey as a Fraggle,” said Uncle Matt.

“Well, I refuse! I won’t go on this journey! I can’t believe you would choose Boober anyway Mokey,” yelled Red.

“What? I can’t believe you would say such a thing!” responded Mokey angrily. It took a lot to make her mad. Boober just glared at Red.

“Come on Red, you know the reason you’re doing this is because you don’t want to admit you have a thing for Gobo, you’re embarrassed!” said Wembley.

“Excuse me? I wouldn’t touch Gobo with a ten foot pole! That is a ridiculous idea! I can’t stand him,” yelled Red. She was beginning to lose control.

“Well, I guess I know where I stand, excuse me guys,” said Gobo quietly and walked away from his group toward his room.

“That wasn’t very nice Red,” said Mokey.

“Yeah, you’d better go apologize,” said Boober.

“No! I guess if you all want to ruin everything and change your lives than that’s fine. But I’m not going to be joining you. Goodbye!” screamed Red and ran back to her room.

“Don’t lose heart young Fraggles. She’ll come around with time,” said Uncle Matt and then turned to find Gobo and make sure he was all right.

Wembley said he wanted to make sure Lou was ok. Mokey gave Boober a hug and then decided she’d be the best person to talk to Red and told him she’d see him later.

When Mokey approached their room she saw Red huddled up on her bed crying.

“Red, this isn’t the end of the world. We’re moving forward in a good way,” said Mokey.

“No, things will never be the same. We’ll never have fun anymore. There have already been so many changes. I don’t like it,” sniffled Red.

“Red, changes are part of life! You have to deal with that,” said Mokey slowly approaching her bed. Red didn’t answer her.

“Red? Come on Red, talk to me,” said Mokey. She waited a few more minutes and then turned and said, “If you want to talk I’ll be over at Boober’s. I’ll be back later.”

But, Red couldn’t talk to her. Instead she jumped down and took a walk. She went down to the Fraggle Pond to see if maybe she was wrong and tried to see things the way Uncle Matt described them.

“Maybe something is wrong with me,” Red began to question. But, when she walked by Boober’s room and saw him and Mokey together she started feeling angry again. Then she walked by Gobo’s where she saw him with his guitar.

“Am I supposed to feel something for him?” she thought.

Gobo saw her watching him. He came over to her.

“Did you come to tell me more about how repulsive you think I am?” he asked her angrily.

“No, I came because…I’m not sure why I came,” said Red tentatively.

“Well, I think you should go. I don’t want to talk to someone who wouldn’t touch me with a ten foot pole,” Gobo spat at her.

“Gobo let me explain,” pleaded Red. She wasn’t sure why she was standing her trying to talk to him.

“No Red, you said enough. Now please leave, I don’t want to see you right now. I don’t want to see you ever again. You really hurt my feelings,” said Gobo and turned his back to her.

“Gobo…I….never mind,” said Red weakly and ran away. What had she done?

She ran back to her room and climbed in her bed so she could fall asleep before Mokey got back. She didn’t want to talk about what had just happened. Eventually Mokey crept back into the room and quietly got into bed. But Red couldn’t sleep.

“I’ve messed everything up and everything is changing. I can’t stay here anymore,” thought Red. She jumped out of bed and packed a small bag. She flung it over her shoulder and walked out of the room.

As she walked through the tunnels and caverns of Fraggle Rock she thought about where she’d go. To the Gorgs? No, they may be friends now, but that would be a lot to ask. To the Trash Heap? No, eventually they’d find her there. She walked and walked until she found herself at the opening to Doc’s old workshop. If she took a right she could go down to Doc’s new workshop through the Magic Tunnel. Instead, she thought long and hard, and decided what she would do. She quickly scribbled a note on some paper and tacked it to the wall by the opening just in case they looked for her. Then, without looking back she stepped through the hole into Doc’s old workshop which still sat vacant into a portal that would take her to a very different place, Outer Space.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Your pathos is truly evident in this chapter... And don't worry bout the episodes, you can get those when Season 2's released in September.

Also, I think Christy would be honored. Rully some deep story-telling here, post more when ready.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
*Speechless* That's some story setting up Beth. Wow. [appernetly i'm not all that speechless]

Smiles

Reaction score
I love it! The Cavern of Sparkling Lillies! and I don't want to talk to someone who wouldnt touch me with a ten foot pole! Its just adorable! And poor Red! I hope she comes around soon.....

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Beth... If only I was actually awake enough to tell you how awesome this is. I... Oh my gosh. I... I just really wanna give Gobo and Red each a hug, and then hug them both at the same time, and... Oh, Red! <sigh> <reaches for teddy bear> I am so ready for this story. I love it, Beth. Write on!

And, on second thought, to be more specific, I'm really loving how you're portraying Gobo's emotions through all this. I mean, him sitting alone in the Great Hall, and smiling at her... “Comes the commitment of marriage and the beginning of a new Fraggle family,” finished Gobo wistfully. "Wistfully"... Maybe I pay too much attention in English class, but that is some awesome diction. And “Well, I guess I know where I stand, excuse me guys,” said Gobo quietly and walked away from his group toward his room. Don't you just wanna hug him? I mean... Oh, man! And then Red wondering if something's wrong with her... and... I just love the Red/Gobo interaction, I mean, I can just see it... I just love it.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Beth... If only I was actually awake enough to tell you how awesome this is. I... Oh my gosh. I... I just really wanna give Gobo and Red each a hug, and then hug them both at the same time, and... Oh, Red! <sigh> <reaches for teddy bear> I am so ready for this story. I love it, Beth. Write on!

And, on second thought, to be more specific, I'm really loving how you're portraying Gobo's emotions through all this. I mean, him sitting alone in the Great Hall, and smiling at her... “Comes the commitment of marriage and the beginning of a new Fraggle family,” finished Gobo wistfully. "Wistfully"... Maybe I pay too much attention in English class, but that is some awesome diction. And “Well, I guess I know where I stand, excuse me guys,” said Gobo quietly and walked away from his group toward his room. Don't you just wanna hug him? I mean... Oh, man! And then Red wondering if something's wrong with her... and... I just love the Red/Gobo interaction, I mean, I can just see it... I just love it.
Thanks Lisa! The Red/Gobo thing is just something I've wanted to explore for sometime now and it's so complex, but that's why it's so great to write about! I'm really glad you like it! Expect another chapter in a little bit here and then I'll be taking the weekend off, I've got a wedding to go to. :smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Four:

Red looked around her surroundings and began to get a little scared. It was dark in the empty workshop and there were shadows all around.

“Maybe I should go back?” she thought. Then she heard Gobo’s words “I never want to see you again” and she knew she couldn’t go back.

Slowly she crept toward the door that would truly take her into Outer Space.

“After all this time of making fun of Uncle Traveling Matt’s postcards, I’d give anything to have them now!” said Red out loud to no one. She finally reached the door. It was shut tight and being a small Fraggle she had no idea how she would get out.

“Now what do I do?” she sighed as she leaned against the door and slid down to the floor. As she slid down suddenly she felt something move behind her.

“Hey! It moves!” she said and turned around to see what was going on. She discovered the flap in the door that was Sprocket’s doggie door.

“So if I push on this, it moves!” she exclaimed excitedly even though no one was around. She pushed her way through the door and suddenly found herself on the other side of the workshop. She was truly in Outer Space now. And it was wet!

“What are these water drops falling from up above? Why won’t they stop?” she wondered as she stood getting soaked in the rain. Natural instinct kicked in as she looked around for a shelter. Her eyes settled on Sprocket’s old dog house.

“I hope that that doesn’t belong to some scary beast or silly creature!” she thought as she ran toward it. She peered inside and was relieved to see no one there. She was also surprised at how exhausted she suddenly was.

“Well, if someone does live here, I hope they don’t come back soon, I’m so tired,” she said and curled up into a ball and fell fast asleep. Her journey would begin the next morning when it was light outside and dry.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mokey awoke in a panic. She wasn’t aware yet that Red had run away, but something didn’t feel right. She was dreaming that someone was calling out to her, calling for help. Then she woke up.

“Oh my gosh, what an awful dream. Red, wake up, I think we need to talk,” said Mokey turning over in her bed. Then she discovered her worst fear realized.

“Oh my God! Red! Where are you!” she yelled in a panicky tone. It was early morning, so some Fraggles were already out and about. She ran out of their room in a desperate attempt to find her.

“I hope she just went someplace to cool off. Maybe she’s swimming,” thought Mokey as she headed towards Red’s favorite spot in the rock, the Fraggle Pond. Red wasn’t there.

Mokey turned around and almost ran smack into Gobo.

“Gobo! Thank goodness you’re here! Red’s gone,” said Mokey.

“Why should I care, I don’t want to see her anymore, she’s gone too far this time,” said Gobo a little angrily.

“Well, I’m really worried Gobo! She’s not herself!” said Mokey.

“You’re telling me! She complains about all the change when she’s really the one who’s changed,” exclaimed Gobo.

“No she hasn’t changed that much Gobo. That’s the problem,” said Mokey.

“I wish she’d accept the changes. I wish she would change,” said Gobo quietly.

“You like her don’t you?” asked Mokey.

“It’s complicated, but yeah, I think I do. I think I always have,” responded Gobo after a moment.

“Then we need to find her! Maybe if she knew how you felt, she’d feel the same way,” said Mokey.

“I don’t know, are you sure she didn’t just storm off someplace because she was angry?” asked Gobo.

“Well, I’m hoping that’s all it is, but we still should find her and talk to her about this. Maybe she’s feeling better today. Come on Gobo,” urged Mokey.

“Ok, I’ll go tell Wembley she’s missing and we’ll organize a search party. She couldn’t have gotten far,” said Gobo after hesitating another moment.

“Great! I’m going to go tell Boober she’s missing and then I’m going to see if Cotterpin has seen her,” said Mokey.

They agreed to meet at the Great Hall in a few minutes and get organized and parted ways.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When Red awoke in the morning she was relieved to see it had stopped raining.

“Oh thank goodness, those wet drop type things have stopped,” she thought as she sat up and looked outside. She wasn’t sure where she was going to go, but she was getting a little excited about the prospect of an adventure.

“Maybe Uncle Matt was right about Outer Space. It could be a really neat place!” she thought and stepped outside of the doghouse. She started walking through the grass towards a street. Across the street was a forest with many trees.

“I wonder if I’ll find anything to eat over there. It looks kind of like the Gorgs garden,” thought Red and decided to go over and check it out. She had had the good sense to throw a few Doozer sticks in her bag, but she knew they wouldn’t last her long.

As she approached the street, it appeared clear so she began to cross. Suddenly a car came whizzing by and she froze in her tracks.

“Ahhhhh! A hideous scary rolling thing!” she screamed and thought about turning back. But, she looked both ways and didn’t see anymore following so she quickly finished dashing across the street.

“Phew, that was worse than the hairy beast that lives with Doc!” she thought to herself as she slowly made her way into the forest.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The four remaining Fraggle friends met up at the Great Hall after a short search around the confines of the Rock had not turned up any sign of Red. No one had even seen her.

“I’m so worried about her, where would she have gone?” said Mokey.

“I don’t know what if something really bad happened to her, what if some crazy beast ate her?” asked Wembley and for once no one told him to stop wembling.

“I hope she’s not getting herself into some germ infested part of the Rock that’s going to cling to her when she comes back. She’ll probably be just filthy,” said Boober which got him glares from everyone, even Mokey.

“Look, I don’t know where else we can look, but I know someone who might be able to help,” said Gobo.

“Do you think she’d know where Red went though?” asked Mokey.

“Well, I’m going to find out what she thinks about the whole situation, she’s been helping us for years, she’ll know what to do,” said Gobo and started heading for the tunnel that would take him to the Trash Heap.

“Oh I hope we’ll be able to find her, I don’t want to take the next step without her here,” said Mokey to Boober.

“I know. Don’t worry, we can wait. Everything will be ok,” said Boober and took Mokey’s hand. They sat down to wait. All they could do for now was wait.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The same way that all we can do to get some more story is just sit down and wait?

Rully good stuff here Beth... Red almost getting hit out on the street, reminiscent of Kermit and Gonzo's near misses in TMTM and TGMC respectively.
Looks like Gobo's cooled off a bit...
And we're going to see Madam Marjorie, the Trash Heap? Yaey!
Post when ready.