1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by MuppetCaper, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

I'm glad to hear you say that, too. The only reason I'm buying these photo puppets is because this is probably the best we'll get. I'd rather have working hand puppets, but those are not going to made and these are the next best thing. However, because of that, I expect these to be near perfect (I know a mass produced item is not likely to be 100% perfect, but I want them as close as possible). Gonzo as is, is not close enough for me.

:p
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That is why someone there really needs to look at the boards once in a while. It's not a new criticism. :sympathy: It appears that the final decision-maker at MR doesn't care enough and that doesn't seem congruent with the type of item they are selling. It's a niche product in a niche market. They should be listening to the niche. It's a no-brainer. I wish they could replicate the initial prototype. The lip looked fine there. :concern:

I feel that the company just gave up on any real improvements with Gonzo and that's unfortunate. He may very well end the line if he doesn't look right. :cry:
  3. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

To let you guys know, I also emailed Amy personally about the color of his suit. I told her that the original color of it is burgandy and not red. I also sent her a few pictures of Gonzo in his burgandy suit. I hope this will help with the mix.

frogboy....if you need her email, I can give it to you.
  4. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

well I'll STILL be getting Gonzo! :smirk: *gets ready to pre-order* :)
  5. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Gosh... I'm so indifferent about this. I'm hoping that these are just bad pictures of the replica... because that just looks... well, bad. Compared to Kermit and Animal, it's just... yuck. The nose is the problem for me. I think the material is fine, but the shape of the mouth area is so incredibly off. The eyes as well, are off center.

Other than the nose I like it. But the whole mouth area is just wrong for me. I think it's just too wide.
  6. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

That's what I've been trying to make myself believe this whole time, the main reason I haven't really said anything before. BUT, there are too many pictures showing that Gonzo proto looking the same for it to be just the pictures.

I can't find it, but do you guys remember that first pic Travis (or somebody) showed us of just Gonzo's head, the very first proto-head? That one looked far superior to these recent protos, I wonder why they changed his mouth so much?

Ah well, maybe it's just not in the cards for Gonzo's likeness to ever look good on any licensed product, except Palisades Gonzo II of course!

Good luck MR! Really hoping Gonzo will turn out well!
    :)
    Anthony
  7. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I am really agreeing with most of the comments here about Gonzo. I have posted here with less haste before about some MR issues and unintentionally narked some people, so I would like to tactfully say, I'm not keen. Now I WILL be getting a couple of Gonzos. This is based soley on my affection for the character and nothing to do with this product. I agree 100% with the comments that the images have been Photoshopped, it's blatant, so we cannot know for sure how Gonzo will turn outtil later in the week.

When I saw Terrys proto I was the giddiest I have ever been about the MR line and Muppet products in general. The dream that I could own something so lifelike to the real deal really got me pumped. My feelings about the current state of Gonzo are lukewarm at best. I just hope the great people at MR have an ace up their sleeve and come pre-order some of us will spend the rest of the day (after ordering) removing out feet from our mouths.

PS. The tweaks that Kermiebaby made, really worked for me and changed my view considerably! I would skip to my mac to pre-order that one :)
  8. MuppetCaper

I was thinking about this last night. In order for this to be the best product and get KermieBaby47's idea out, we all need to work as a team and let Master Replicas know that this is the way we would like him to be. They heard us on animal, now we got to work together on Gonzo. If anyone wants to help we ALL need to send emails to MR about this. If anyone needs Amy's email to let her know, just PM and I can send it to you. Bu we need to focus only on the changes that KermieBaby47 made to keep it consistant. ;)
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree here. I will be including the upper-jaw area in my inquiry. It is important that any exchanges with MR be calm, thoughtful and productive. That doesn't mean shelving any concerns; on the contrary, it helps such concerns get heard. It's just a reminder. I know some of that happened in correspondence about other companies' products. ;)

:concern: I'm thinking the main areas to point out are:

Eye Focus - he just looks so wild-eyed in an incorrect way. (Jim Henson said all Muppet eyes should be slightly crossed in order to look real.)

Sagging Top Jaw/Lip - the top portion of the mouth sags far too much. The Palisades Gonzo series 5 action figure really got this part right. (Images are easily available online.)

The Suit Looks Red - Fans remember the suit looking "purpler" even if some notation from Henson says otherwise. I'm certain there were slight changes in color over the seasons (but even so, the suit never appeared this red).

Nose Texture & Shading - The nose is the central part of this character and it appears to be too smooth and flat-looking in the MR images provided. I have seen the real shnoz up close and there are many colors that make up the beak. Again, Palisades' Black Tux Gonzo and/or Cabin Boy Gonzo are really the best examples as to coloring I can point toward.

I guess that's it, then close with a compliment. :zany:
  10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

The gonzo head only was also made by Terry, not China.First he made the complete Gonzo and then he got a better fur, but he only had time to make a head as he had a deadline for a convention to display it at.
  11. antonydavanzo

antonydavanzo New Member

KermieBaby47, the correction picture you did made me wanna buy Gonzo! I hope MR take into account these changes......impossible thing to ask them to do seeing as Gonzo will be getting made soon. I just want my Gonzo replica to look as good as my Gonzo 2 by Palisades
  12. lithiumbrain

lithiumbrain Member

I agree...We all need to do our part and start some sort of petition or at least just follow up emails. We have to stay on top of them about the changes. They are a busy group of people, and sometimes dollar signs and deadlines take precedence over fans....especially when working with Disney. Unfortunately, there are only a select group of us who are hardcore insane fans with the eye to catch small detail. Most people who bought Kermit think he is perfect. I can think of 3 small tweaks that MR could have made to him to make him perfect. He is nice, but not perfect. Same with Animal. Animal is not going to look any better or worse that the Comic Con proto. I know that the MR staff that post here on Muppet Central, really do care about this line and us as fans, but they don't have the ultimate final say on the products.
  13. Telly

Telly Active Member

I do like KermieBaby's tweeks to the original photo. As far as the color of the suit, I plan on dressing him in his 80's khakis and sweater vest (somehow).
  14. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

eye focus definatly helped. The suit color is not off exactly, Gonzo did wear a suit that looked like that sometimes, but his classic suit that most remmeber is the darker purple/maroon suit.
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I sent my email out. Pretty much said what my previous post did. I didn't go into the nose as much, but acknowledged their tireless efforts as it is (in shape, texture, color and shading) the central part of the character. :concern:

I also pointed to the Mega Gonzo (or Gonzo S5+) for reference.

I hope this helps! :eek:
  16. MuppetCaper

Comparing the Palisades plastic toy is nothing to compare to a actual replica. That is like comparing a plastic orange to a real one. Just does not add up. At least you can go back to the platic toy and repaint the suit. You cannot change too much on something like a replica unless you are a pro at it. I sent Amy some emails.......like pictures of the original Gonzo photo puppet. I hope this gets through to someone there. We all should send some emails to get this through to them.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

In the end - a likeness is a likeness. I think what's being said here is that fans would like the same quality of likeness in the product as Palisades' figures - not that it would actually be a figure. They should go back to Terry's prototype for proportion issues, but the figure's nose curvature can be used just as well. The issue with photography is that you can only see things in one perspective. It appears whatever method MR has been using has degraded the initial design of the prototype. They might consider a different approach or bringing in Terry again. :concern:
  18. MuppetCaper

I just hope that maybe someone at MR will hear us. I think this would make a great impact on the replica itself. I know that I am going to do all I can to find someone at MR who will actually listen to us even though Travis no longer reads has time to read these boards anymore. I might have another trick up my sleeve, but first, I want to see what Amy says first, then go from there.

I am wondering if I write an email to Micheal Cookson that this might also help. I know Amy is customer service, but I do not know how far she will take this, or how far she is to go with this. Let's all keep our fingers crossed and wich for the best.
  19. antonydavanzo

antonydavanzo New Member

Of course it adds up.....taking your example an plastic orange should look like a real orange!The Gonzo figure was spot in in a lot of peoples options and MR need to start listening to US all on this board! I will still get Gonzo
  20. Luke

Luke Active Member

I saw a few photos of Gonzo over a year ago, he actually looked better then. I had heard from someone "in the loop" over these that they had to make some kind of compromise with Disney over the materials but i guess that doesn't count for the dimension issues people have raised. I hope they can still change some stuff, but i know they have spent ages trying to get it right so maybe this is a case of the best they can get. No idea why the suit isn't the correct color - they really need to get that changed. One thing i'm for sure on is that Fozzie Bear will be the best one they make, he is a definite must for me. Gonzo i will probably pass on.

The Palisades figure, for me, was the ultimate Gonzo i've seen anywhere bar none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.