Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Really itchin' to get these guys in my home, but I'm really not sure if I'll be adding Gonzo to my collection as he is now.
I'm glad to hear you say that, too. The only reason I'm buying these photo puppets is because this is probably the best we'll get. I'd rather have working hand puppets, but those are not going to made and these are the next best thing. However, because of that, I expect these to be near perfect (I know a mass produced item is not likely to be 100% perfect, but I want them as close as possible). Gonzo as is, is not close enough for me.

:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably too late to change his upper lip, but hopefully they can fix his pupils. Time will tell!
That is why someone there really needs to look at the boards once in a while. It's not a new criticism. :sympathy: It appears that the final decision-maker at MR doesn't care enough and that doesn't seem congruent with the type of item they are selling. It's a niche product in a niche market. They should be listening to the niche. It's a no-brainer. I wish they could replicate the initial prototype. The lip looked fine there. :concern:

I feel that the company just gave up on any real improvements with Gonzo and that's unfortunate. He may very well end the line if he doesn't look right. :cry:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
To let you guys know, I also emailed Amy personally about the color of his suit. I told her that the original color of it is burgandy and not red. I also sent her a few pictures of Gonzo in his burgandy suit. I hope this will help with the mix.

frogboy....if you need her email, I can give it to you.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Gosh... I'm so indifferent about this. I'm hoping that these are just bad pictures of the replica... because that just looks... well, bad. Compared to Kermit and Animal, it's just... yuck. The nose is the problem for me. I think the material is fine, but the shape of the mouth area is so incredibly off. The eyes as well, are off center.

Other than the nose I like it. But the whole mouth area is just wrong for me. I think it's just too wide.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Gosh... I'm so indifferent about this. I'm hoping that these are just bad pictures of the replica...
That's what I've been trying to make myself believe this whole time, the main reason I haven't really said anything before. BUT, there are too many pictures showing that Gonzo proto looking the same for it to be just the pictures.

I can't find it, but do you guys remember that first pic Travis (or somebody) showed us of just Gonzo's head, the very first proto-head? That one looked far superior to these recent protos, I wonder why they changed his mouth so much?

Ah well, maybe it's just not in the cards for Gonzo's likeness to ever look good on any licensed product, except Palisades Gonzo II of course!

Good luck MR! Really hoping Gonzo will turn out well!
:smile:
Anthony

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am really agreeing with most of the comments here about Gonzo. I have posted here with less haste before about some MR issues and unintentionally narked some people, so I would like to tactfully say, I'm not keen. Now I WILL be getting a couple of Gonzos. This is based soley on my affection for the character and nothing to do with this product. I agree 100% with the comments that the images have been Photoshopped, it's blatant, so we cannot know for sure how Gonzo will turn outtil later in the week.

When I saw Terrys proto I was the giddiest I have ever been about the MR line and Muppet products in general. The dream that I could own something so lifelike to the real deal really got me pumped. My feelings about the current state of Gonzo are lukewarm at best. I just hope the great people at MR have an ace up their sleeve and come pre-order some of us will spend the rest of the day (after ordering) removing out feet from our mouths.

PS. The tweaks that Kermiebaby made, really worked for me and changed my view considerably! I would skip to my mac to pre-order that one :smile:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night. In order for this to be the best product and get KermieBaby47's idea out, we all need to work as a team and let Master Replicas know that this is the way we would like him to be. They heard us on animal, now we got to work together on Gonzo. If anyone wants to help we ALL need to send emails to MR about this. If anyone needs Amy's email to let her know, just PM and I can send it to you. Bu we need to focus only on the changes that KermieBaby47 made to keep it consistant. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree here. I will be including the upper-jaw area in my inquiry. It is important that any exchanges with MR be calm, thoughtful and productive. That doesn't mean shelving any concerns; on the contrary, it helps such concerns get heard. It's just a reminder. I know some of that happened in correspondence about other companies' products. :wink:

:concern: I'm thinking the main areas to point out are:

Eye Focus - he just looks so wild-eyed in an incorrect way. (Jim Henson said all Muppet eyes should be slightly crossed in order to look real.)

Sagging Top Jaw/Lip - the top portion of the mouth sags far too much. The Palisades Gonzo series 5 action figure really got this part right. (Images are easily available online.)

The Suit Looks Red - Fans remember the suit looking "purpler" even if some notation from Henson says otherwise. I'm certain there were slight changes in color over the seasons (but even so, the suit never appeared this red).

Nose Texture & Shading - The nose is the central part of this character and it appears to be too smooth and flat-looking in the MR images provided. I have seen the real shnoz up close and there are many colors that make up the beak. Again, Palisades' Black Tux Gonzo and/or Cabin Boy Gonzo are really the best examples as to coloring I can point toward.

I guess that's it, then close with a compliment. :zany:

muppetperson

Reaction score
That's what I've been trying to make myself believe this whole time, the main reason I haven't really said anything before. BUT, there are too many pictures showing that Gonzo proto looking the same for it to be just the pictures.

I can't find it, but do you guys remember that first pic Travis (or somebody) showed us of just Gonzo's head, the very first proto-head? That one looked far superior to these recent protos, I wonder why they changed his mouth so much?

Ah well, maybe it's just not in the cards for Gonzo's likeness to ever look good on any licensed product, except Palisades Gonzo II of course!

Good luck MR! Really hoping Gonzo will turn out well!
:smile:
Anthony
The gonzo head only was also made by Terry, not China.First he made the complete Gonzo and then he got a better fur, but he only had time to make a head as he had a deadline for a convention to display it at.

Status
Not open for further replies.