1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Misheard Song Lyrics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyWan Kenobi, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The Offspring-Half Truism
    What I heard: The banner you're waving, is burning erect/like broccoli in the sunlight, that shines overhead
    Real Worlds:The banner you’re waving, is burning and red/It’s blocking the sunlight, that shines overhead

Bowling for Soup-I Can't Stand L.A.
    What I heard: ...and Atlanta breaking off into the sea
    Real Words: ...and the threat of breaking off into the sea

Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    What I Heard: Back to my habit hole out it the woods...
    Real Words: Back to the howling old owl in the woods

I know theres more but I can't think of any

And I have no clue how I got Atlanta out of "the threat of," or what a "habit hole" is XD
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I said it before... they have Mushmouth from Fat Albert sing that song... sounds to me like

"Take a Mmmphhh fff mmmpphhhhy! Take a load off FRAAAAAAANNNN, Take a float on flanny! AHH AHH AHH You GRPHHHHHHHtxxpltk! Eeeeeeee!"
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You should do that for dA.
  4. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

For the longest time I always thought that "I saw the Sign" was "I saw the Sun." I'd still be thinking that if I hadn't mentioned it in the midst of some friends a few weeks ago and they started cracking up and corrected me.
  5. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

As a kid, I thought that "Hang on Sloopy" by The McCoys was "Hang on Snoopy" and that the song was about Snoopy.

:zany:
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

LOL! I did the EXACT same thing!

Here's one - "My Cherie Amour, ugly as a summer's day"

And a Muppet one - In Keep Christmas With You All Through the Year, it sounded like they were singing "These precious moments, hold them, Prairie Dear" (as if the song was directed at Prairie Dawn!)
  7. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

And "Hold on Loosely" would be "Hold on, Lucy!"--the sequel to "Hang on Snoopy!"
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never got that song... is it about a small boat?

Who names their kid Sloopy?

Oh great, not I'm thinking of D.W. mispronouncing something as "Sloopy Bloopy"

D'Snowth will get that one.
  9. I used to listen to Hurricane by Bob Dylan when I was in fourth grade and here are some lyrics to the song as I misheard them:

There's no shotswing out in the bar room night

Here comes the story of Hurricane
    The man the authorities gave to brain

He said "I saw two men running out, they looked like getaways
    They jumped into a white car with out-of-state police

Four in the morning in a bar room again
    They took him to the hospital and they brought him upstairs
    The wounded man looks up through his Worse high and eye
    Saying "What'd you bring him in here for? He ain't the guy?"

We want to pin this triple murder
    YM
    CA
    No gentleman jail

The judge made Rubin's witnesses drugs and slouse and slums
    To the white folks who watched he was a revolutionary war.
    And to the black folks he was a crazy bayer

Now all the criminals in their coats and their ties
    Are free to bring my genies and watch the sun rise

There are many websites that have the real lyrics so I will not provide them.

I also misheard the name of Ray Combs, the late host of Family Feud as "Gray Coat."
  10. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I heard it that way too, and was amazed it was on the radio, ha! We weren't the only ones, because it was in a book of misheard lyrics called, "Scuze me, while I kiss this guy" (The "Purple Haze" line "Scuze me, while I kiss the sky") and below the line you mentioned from Benny and the Jets, the next line, "a mohair suit" was in the book as misheard as "her mom has two" (but I think that was just made up for the book...that's not how it sounds at all).
  11. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Amazing song, thanks for mentioning your misheard lyrics! I like them :) Also, Gray Coat would be a cool name :D
  12. dwmckim

A couple Depeche Mode's:

Personal Jesus: "Reach out and touch faith" heard as "reach out and touch me"

Everything Counts: "The graph on the wall tells the story of it all" heard as "...the story of Adolph"

Prince's When Doves Cry: "Maybe you're just like my father, too bold" heard as "Maybe you're just like my father Tuvo"

And foreign language songs are always fun! The next to last line of Nina's 99 Luftballoons sounded like she was singing "99 left on the phone" and another line always strikes my ear as "and all kind of drigensneezal"

(and btw - some fun trivia about Bob Dylan's Hurricane: Dave Stewart & Siobhan Fahey named their firstborn Samuel Joseph "Hurricane" Stewart)
  13. dwmckim

When Pixies' "Monkey Gone to Heaven" first came out i thought they were singing "This month is going to happen"
  14. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

The actual lyrics:

"Michelle, ma belle, sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble, très bien ensemble..."

The words are the French equivalent of "These are words that go together well, my Michelle...", which occurs early in the song.

Another term for misheard lyrics is a "mondegreen", derived from "The Bonny Earl O'Moray", an old Scottish ballad from the 17th century:

"Ye highlands and ye lowlands, oh where hae ye been?
    They hae slain the Earl O'Moray, and Lady Mondegreen"

The actual line is "They hae slain the Earl O'Moray, and laid him on the green."

(Laid, as in the past tense of lay, or place)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen
    heralde likes this.
  15. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Back when I was younger, I used to think that The Gentrys' "Keep On Dancing" said "Keep on dancin' in a frying pan",
    until I found out later on that the actual lyric is "Keep on dancin' and a-prancin'... "
  16. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

The Beatles - I Am The Walrus

Correct: See how they smile like pigs in a sty
    Misheard: See how they smell like pigs in the sky

Correct: Man, you should've seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe
    Misheard: Man, you should've seen them kicking giant lollipops
  17. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Does a mishearing that happened when I was little count?

I heard a line of a church hymn that said "up from the grave He arose" and I misheard it as "up from the gravy He rose"
  18. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Norah Jones - Above Ground

Correct: Just my thoughts to keep me company
    Misheard: Just my frogs to keep me company
  19. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Why does that not surprise me. You always have frogs on the brain :p
  20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Anybody envisioning a Miss Piggy parody of "Above Ground"? :mad: