1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Moby Dick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Thunder, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

And, doubtless, my going on this whaling voyage, formed part of the grand programme of Providence that was drawn up a long time ago.

I'm surprising myself at how full of knowledge and wisdom the "boring parts" are.

MuppetsRule and CensoredAlso like this.
  2. Old Thunder

It came as a sort of brief interlude and solo between more extensive performances.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  3. Old Thunder

I take it that this part of the bill must have run something like this:

"Grand Contested Election for the Presidency of the United States.
    "WHALING VOYAGE BY ONE ISHMAEL.
    "BLOODY BATTLE IN AFFGHANISTAN."​

MuppetsRule likes this.
  4. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

A great insight!

Old Thunder likes this.
  5. Old Thunder

Though I cannot tell why it was exactly that those stage managers, the Fates, put me down for this shabby part of a whaling voyage, when others were set down for magnificent parts in high tirades, and short and easy parts in genteel comedies, and jolly parts in farces -- though I cannot tell why this was exactly; yet, now that I recall all the circumstances, I think I can see a little into the springs and motives which being cunningly presented to me under various disguises, induced me to set about performing the part I did, besides cajoling me into the delusion that it was a choice resulting from my own unbiased freewill and discriminating judgment.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  6. Old Thunder

Chief among these motives was the overwhelming idea of the great whale himself.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  7. Old Thunder

Such a portentous and mysterious monster roused all my curiosity.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  8. Old Thunder

Then the wild and distant seas where he rolled his island bulk; the undeliverable, nameless perils of the whale; these, with all the attending marvels of a thousand Patagonian sights and sounds, helped to sway me to my wish.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  9. Old Thunder

With other men, perhaps, such things would not have been inducements; but as for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  10. Old Thunder

I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  11. CensoredAlso

Sounds like progress!

Old Thunder likes this.
  12. Old Thunder

Not ignoring what is good, I am quick to perceive a horror, and could still be social with it -- would they let me -- since it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  13. Old Thunder

By reason of these things, then, the whaling voyage was welcome, the great flood-gates of the wonder-world swung open, and, in the wild conceits that swayed me to my purpose, two and two there floated into my inmost soul, endless processions of the whale, and, mid most of them all, one grand hooded phantom, like a snow hill in the air.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  14. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll admit that he's posting a little bit more from Moby Dick than I thought he would. But it definitely won't be the whole thing. There's just no way.

Old Thunder likes this.
  15. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Honestly.... I'm starting to think otherwise.

Old Thunder likes this.
  16. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Don't encourage him! :p

CensoredAlso and Old Thunder like this.
  17. Old Thunder

CHAPTER II.
    The Carpet-Bag.

I stuffed a shirt or two into my old carpet-bag, tucked it under my arm, and started for Cape Horn and the Pacific.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  18. Old Thunder

Quitting the good city of old Manhatto, I duly arrived in New Bedford.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  19. CensoredAlso

So long, Manhatto!

Old Thunder likes this.
  20. Old Thunder

It was on a Saturday night in December.

MuppetsRule likes this.