1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

More Non-Muppet-Shaped Muppet Toys

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by jvcarroll, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Agreed. I spent 5 minutes presumptuously tweaking it and this is really the best that can be done with the framework...
    [​IMG]
    Not every character was meant for every shape.​

2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Those things are really bad. The only one that looks decent is Rowlf.
    Disney should make sure these things stop production immediately. There must be some copyright issue!

3. jvcarroll

These are mostly cute. I don't think there's cause for alarm. Artists often create commissions and one-off pieces featuring pop culture icons and that's okay. Usually artists, like KAWS, make creative changes to skate copyright; especially if they want to create serialized pieces like these Pillaging Pop Culture ones. Here's an example of an Astroboy by KAWS. The changes are what make it art...and highly sought-after art! Yes, it's creepy, it's creative, it's odd and that's what I love it!!
    [​IMG]

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I remember the first series of Kid Robot toys (before they became a thing) were various parodies of Japanese pop culture icons... Gachaman, Doraemon... I swear I saw a Warsman parody somewhere. Very Japanese references that mostly never got here. I seem to remember Street Fighter parodies where the heads of the characters were...well... poop. No... not poor quality. Their heads were poo shaped.

They look far more homemade than bad. I don't see why Piggy came out so terrible, since these things look like fair level custom jobs other than that. I highly doubt the likenesses are skewed to prevent copyright problems. Still, the only people who are buying these are those who would buy expensive custom jobs. It really is a shame Disney doesn't market more polished, professional looking things like these. These are good, but official merchandise would look much, much better.

5. jvcarroll

6. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Ok, I do like that Lew Zealand. They got him pretty well. Gonzo on the other hand... :eek:

7. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

That pink lower lip... I know why they did that, but it still looks weird.

...Gonzo looks like a baby bird. Don't you just want to stuff a worm into his mouth?

8. Drtooth

Gonzo's easy to screw up anyway. That's why, for years, toy companies went the "Baby Gonzo" route. Again, it looks the victim of recycling materials. The head shape throws everything out of whack. The eyes don't go nearly as deep in as they should, and the wide head stylization works well on some characters and particularly bad on others.

But that Lew Zealand is nice! Kinda helps that his head is wide to begin with.

9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

In every series, there's only one they get really good.
    I like the Rowlf, Beaker and the Lew Zealand a lot. :)

10. Drtooth

The Sam looks like someone made a really good Sam...

...and then accidentally stepped on it.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  11. jvcarroll

My reviews from greatest to least:

Rowlf: Virtually perfect for the shape.
    Lew: Very nice rendition. Ruffled collar could use some help.
    Kermit: Close rendition. Color and "flat head" are off-putting.
    Fozzie: Close. Eyes are not quite right.
    Harry: Good, but a little too clay-looking.
    Bunsen: Good, but funky jowls.
    Sam: Too rounded and smooshy for his personality.
    Gonzo: Nice sweater pattern, yet looks like a dress. Eye focus, and exaggerated lip look strange.
    Beaker: Too clay-like and just doesn't look right to me.
    Piggy: Just not right at all!

12. Drtooth

I give Beaker credit for having a different shaped head. Something that would work on certain characters. The cone shape approach is interesting. At least it stands out in a line where they kept the Munny heads in tact. Sam would have benefited from a more cylindrical head.

They do have a very clay appearance, probably cuz they're made of it. I don't know if they even used molds, nor do I think they did. That's the peril of well crafted, yet not professional fan made merchandise. You're a prisoner to non-insider materials.

13. jvcarroll

My hypothesis is that each base-mold made a base mold from a Munny. They then cut into and sculpt on top of this soft Munny base in order to create the Muppet character. This is then made into a mold resulting in a resin sculpture. This is then painted and details are added. So this would be considered a micro-production that is hand crafted all the way through the process. I just still don't get what makes it legal or something that anyone with the Sideshow busts would want. :confused:

14. Drtooth

I have trouble finding out who this is for as well. It really seems to be focused to some extremely underground toy collectors with a crap load of money. It doesn't seem to fill any real void in Muppet fan collections. Sure, we'd all love more merchandise out of Disney, especially obscure characters... but it looks like characters we already got out of Palisades' line. (the silhouettes left are quite obviously :hungry::sleep::boo:;) and the entire Electric Mayhem). Lew and Harry may never be toys again, but toys of the other characters probably aren't too hard to track down (band's got to be disgustingly expensive by now, though). When it comes to custom figures, people are usually looking for unmade characters or franchises, OC's, and strangely specific variants.

These are interesting to a Muppet fan, sure, but the artisan pricing is going to scare off anyone who isn't extremely interested in homemade underground toy production. If it was something far more obscure and never produced (say, Heathcliff and the Cattillac Cats, emphasis on the Cattilac Cats.... furries would eat that stuff straight up), it would be far more interesting. I have all these guys already via Palisades. That said, if it was legally produced, mainstream, affordable and accessible Muppet Merchandise, it would be different.

15. jvcarroll

Wave 5 is now out. [​IMG]
    Brown slacks instead of blue jeans or red sneakers for Scooter? What happened to the stems of Dr. Teeth's glasses and where is this costume from? The least-liked look for Zoot? I enjoyed series one, but I'm just not feeling it anymore. Still, I'm glad that someone likes Muppets enough to attempt these. We'll see what the last series looks like.

16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

How does a muppet fan mess up details like this though? Unless its intentional and "stylistic" :/

jvcarroll likes this.
  17. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

.....has Floyd ever worn anything that looks like that? Cause man...erg...

Although I do like Animal's Anarchy shirt...

19. Drtooth

These would all look a lot better if they weren't using re-purposed Dunny figures and sculpted the heads free form. Floyd's head would look better if it wasn't so stretched and squashed... He looks like Dr. Robotnik turned purple.

20. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

to my surprise Floyd has worn that type of costume before

[​IMG]