1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Most Iconic Big Bird Design?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by DarthGonzo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

What does everyone think is the most iconic Big Bird "look" in Sesame Street history?

For me personally, it's the early-to-mid '80s give or take a few years. The version of Big Bird that appears in "Follow That Bird" is what I consider to be MY Big Bird.

I can't stand how the character looks now.

gavry3, MikaelaMuppet and muppetgem like this.
  2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Probably his first appearance because of.... Well, how dopey he looked.

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, i'd say probably the one from the 80s, just because so many famous moments happened during that time, including the "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper" scene, Follow That Bird, and the episode where Snuffy is revealed to the adults.

MikaelaMuppet and muppetgem like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Really, the only version of Big Bird I ever truly "disliked" was the early 90s Big Bird as seen during the tail-end of the Jon Stone era, just before ATC: his head was too flat and had too much white around the eyes.

I agree that my personal favorite Big Bird is the 80s version, but I also really liked Caroll's puppet used during the ATC era up into the mid-2000s; Matt's puppet (and ensuing versions of Big Bird since) has too big a head - it looks massive.

muppetgem and Pig's Laundry like this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!

6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

The one from the late 90s because that's the design I grew up watching with.

7. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

I like the 70's and 80's one, but definitely the Follow That Bird one was the best.

muppetgem likes this.