MSTies unite!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I can't believe I missed these. Those MST3K Flash shorts that I heard so many negative things about have been on youtube for years. I don't really thinkg they're... terrible, but I have to agree with what Mike said about them. They're cute, but really not funny.

Teheheman

Reaction score
We just did our little tribute to this show for the show I'm doing. I actually tried to talk the other 2 into redoing our main titles to our own version of these but they kind of nixed it. Maybe for our 100th episode(If we make it that far lol). But anyways, enough of the cheap plugs, this show is one of those groundbreaking shows that you see, and it becomes a classic because the format was never duplicated again on network TV or basic cable. You see a lot of these shows that become hits and all the sudden there are 85 shows JUST like it. Shows like MST3K didn't have that. There weren't really any shows that duplicated that same format that succeeded the way that it did and I applaud that.

Daniel

Scooterforever

Reaction score
My brother and I got 30 minutes into "Gorgo" last night, but our internet connection sucks we didn't get to finish:rolleyes:. Hoping to finish it today. A LOT of Irish jokes in that one, and I'm Irish myself, so I get most of 'em:smile:.

Princeton

Reaction score
Just saw a whole big mess of MST3K eps; here’s my takes.

The Crawling Eye: The very first post-KTMA episode and Best Brains clearly had a lot of work ahead of them. It’s an episode that you’ll admire rather than enjoy.

Robot Holocaust: Apparently this episode was the result of a viewer complaint that the show didn’t do enough color films. Luckily the film is right up the show’s alley and goofy to beat the band, but at the same time, I can’t help but feel like Best Brains were succumbing to peer pressure.

The Beatniks: One of many ‘teenage criminal’ films tackled by MST3K (it greatly troubles me that that was an actual genre in the 1950’s). A valiant effort, but I prefer “The Violent Years”.

Operation Double 007: I’ve never seen a less self-conscious movie in my life. The film was an obvious cash-in on the James Bond franchise and actually starred Sean Connery’s brother in the “Bond” role and the dialogue in the film basically rams this forced premise down your throat. Luckily the movie is wacky enough that it distracts you from the plot.

Kitten with A Whip: There’s an intro on the DVD by Mike Nelson saying how this episode is not a fan favorite. I can’t see why, because I howled all the way through! And it’s really not that bad a movie (other than how John Forsythe’s under-acting and Ann-Margret’s over-acting seem to be battling it out for who can be the hammiest actor in the film).

Revenge of the Creature: With humanoid monsters and all-around campy execution, this movie should have blown me away, but it was a complete snooze-fest.

The Final Sacrifice: Much like Kitten with A Whip, I don’t think the movie’s that bad. The teenage boy is portrayed as overly feminine (which Mike and the Bots get a lot of mileage out of), but that’s about it.

Blood Waters of Dr. Z- My opinion of Revenge of the Creature is identical to this film.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Out of the episodes you named, "The Final Sacrifice" was the only one I found to be laugh-out-loud funny, but that's because I'm a Mike fan and never thought Joel was half as funny. Mike is just a better comedic actor, and a better actor overall, in my opinion. :laugh: Rowsdower:smile:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
*Bursts into thread*

This just in! ...well it happened yesterday, but nobody has brought it up yet.

Shout! Factory is going to be releasing a Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack Special Edition of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie! Details on the full range of the special features have not been disclosed, but confirmed feaures will include two new documentaries (one about the movie and the other about This Island Earth) and the theatrical trailer.

*Takes notice of the emptiness, slowly slinks out*

Scooterforever

Reaction score
*Bursts into thread*

This just in! ...well it happened yesterday, but nobody has brought it up yet.

Shout! Factory is going to be releasing a Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack Special Edition of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie! Details on the full range of the special features have not been disclosed, but confirmed feaures will include two new documentaries (one about the movie and the other about This Island Earth) and the theatrical trailer.

*Takes notice of the emptiness, slowly slinks out*
Thanks for the update, this is the first time I heard it. I don't believe we own the movie so I'll be buying the Special Edition for sure.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Who else plans to go to the live riffing of Starship Troopers this August? I'm terribly disappointed they couldn't get rights to live-riff that hackiest of all teen films, Twilight, but hey, giant bug jokes!

Should be well worth the admission. Their live shows tear it up. :smile:

----------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So, everybody here knows the date November 23, that was the debut of The Muppets, the seventh film and first under Disney/Muppet Studios management. Well, this year it'll mark MST3K's 25th anniversary. And how best to celebrate? With the 25th Anniversary Shout! Factory DVD release of course!

The movies included in a silvery tin case include:
Moon Zero Two from Season 1,
The Day The Earth Froze + the short that inspires Tom and Crow to be demented circus clowns, from Season 4.
The Leech Woman, from Season 8, and
Gorgo, from Season 9.

But wait, there's a fifth disc. What does that extra disc have?
Mitchell, Joel's last episode!
And The Brain That Wouldn't Die, Mike's first episode!

Plan your MST3K parties accordingly.
*Hope :scary: has a recipe for sampo we can make.