Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
One reason I filed it under a constantly churning rumor.

Though it is cool to see so many people who get the newsletter. I primarily get it to keep up with my Disney Comics hobby, specifically Scrooge and the Ducks.

haydenschoen

Reaction score
I'm new here, so maybe this is old news. I just found this website called comickorner.com and they claim to be selling a 5 disc dvd box set with 35 episodes. Anyone tried this? is it legal what they are doing? I am very tempted to try buying but I would like confirmation that it is legit before I do it. Here is the link:

comickorner.com/product_info.php?products_id=348

AnakinGonzo

Reaction score
Um...don't they already have the rights to use those clips? They're in the show already, right? Therefore they have the right to use them.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Hmmm...Good point, AnakinGonzo (oh, the jokes I could tell about THAT name...).

Yeah, all the "live-action clips" from the show would have to be in there. Even the World Trade Center. The events of 9-11 hurt more just by that MB episode "Six To Eight Weeks" featuring the WTC.

BJ

Dantecat

Reaction score
Gosh,I just wish Playhouse Disney would air them.Anyone know the e-mail to Playhouse Disney?

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
AnakinGonzo said:
Um...don't they already have the rights to use those clips? They're in the show already, right? Therefore they have the right to use them.
Not exactly.

When TV shows negotiate rights to clips, they negotiate them for the actual airing of the show.

Nowadays many shows also negotiate rights for DVD's and VHS but back in the early 80's the concept of home video was still fairly new and the concept of TV shows on DVD or VHS wasn't even on the table.

While some clips were probably worked out for home distribution (those companies with whom Henson had a working relationship) the odds of all the footage being cleared is pretty unlikely.

The whole TV show on DVD craze really caught the industry by surprise, so little planning was ever considered for securing the rights to a lot of shows which can get pretty expensive.

While certainly possible, it's most likely that this is a show that's going to have a hard time coming out.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Only if they do it right!

Remember, MB was one of the first shows to make it onto VHS in a professional manner (and I have a good number of them). I think that home video rights transfer to DVD, but I may be wrong (thanks DMCA, you're not much of a help at all).

BJ

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Any idea who actually owns the rights to Muppet Babies? Are they owned by the same company as Muppets Take Manhattan cos that particular movie wasn't sold with the rest of the Muppet stuff to Disney. It is still owned by Tristar Pictures.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Mistersuperstar said:
Any idea who actually owns the rights to Muppet Babies? Are they owned by the same company as Muppets Take Manhattan cos that particular movie wasn't sold with the rest of the Muppet stuff to Disney. It is still owned by Tristar Pictures.
Disney owns the rights to Muppet Babies.