Muppet cartoon by Lowercasegods

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Normally I'd jump at the chance to contribute to a project like yours, Count, but unfortunately my artistic schedule is pretty full these days (which explains the huge lapses of time between my cartoon postings). But to aid your other request, here's a description of the cartoon: Supergrover is swooping down upon an even balder-than-usual Fat Blue who is roughing up Prairie Dawn. I gave Prairie brown hair to better connect her to Lois Lane, and made Blue balder to represent Lex Luthor. Hope that helps!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's OK LCG... Hopefully, Bo's talking to a pair of crazy Dane dames who might help.
And good and funny cartoon... Hee, Mr. Johnson as Lex Bluther.
Wait! Someone help Prairie Lane! Can't stand anything bad happen to Prairie.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Can somebody help me here? I'd always thought the character was known as Fat Blue, but in the last fifften minutes, a couple people have told me he's called Mr. Johnson! Was I wrong all this time? Are they known by both names? Did I make Fat Blue up, like Brad Pitt's character in Fight Club? AM I IN ALL ACTUALITY FAT BLUE??? Okay, just kidding about that last part.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
He's called Fat Blue because his base puppet is Fat and Blue. Apparantly peple have managed to figure out over time that his name is Mr. Johnson, but honestly, I just call him Fat Blue.
Also, super cute comic!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... To expand on what Mrs. P commented...
The Muppet known as "Fat Blue" has been assigned that name by most, but they'd be somewhat misinformed. See "Fat Blue" is the type of generic Anything Muppet he falls into because of his characteristic big fat blue round head. However, in a sketch where Grover posed as a singing telegram delivery monster, one of the last verses (the one that's actually the correct one) he says that this character's proper name is Mr. Johnson.
Mr. Johnson is the one who has the fat blue round head, brown hair and brown mustache.
Simon the Sound Man, almost identical, has black hair and mustache instead.
Both are voiced by Jerry Nelson and sometimes spark confusion between viewers.
Since "Fat Blue" is his Anything Muppet classification and Mr. Johnson is his real name, I have him as Mr. Johnson in the Muppet Listings threads.
Hope this helps clear up things LCG.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I'm guessing that he was named "Fat Blue" in the scripts since the Workshop preferred him without a name (he's been listed as "Mr. Blue", "Grover's Customer", and, by Grover, "Little Blue Man"), and that name was used in the "Unpaved" book.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Can somebody help me here? I'd always thought the character was known as Fat Blue, but in the last fifften minutes, a couple people have told me he's called Mr. Johnson! Was I wrong all this time? Are they known by both names? Did I make Fat Blue up, like Brad Pitt's character in Fight Club? AM I IN ALL ACTUALITY FAT BLUE??? Okay, just kidding about that last part.
no he is named and it is in Sesame Street Unpaved book
Fat Blue.

ISNorden

Reaction score
rumtar_10165 said:
no he is named and it is in Sesame Street Unpaved book
Fat Blue.
"Fat Blue" describes several characters built from that pattern; there are other "Fat Blue" Muppets besides the one who can't get decent service from Grover. I'm on the "Mr. Johnson" side of the debate myself: First, no one ever addresses him as "Fat Blue", although Grover's descriptions sometimes come close. Second, the first singing-telegram sketch dates back to the late 1980s if I remember correctly: that's before Henson's death in 1990, let alone the drastic changes (at least ten years later). Third, a newer sketch still has Grover calling Mr. Johnson by that name: with two widely separate sketches confirming it, I'd consider "Mr. Johnson" a bona-fide canonical name for that particular Fat Blue.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Check it out! Jay did a caricature of Kristen Chenoweth! She plays Ms. Noodle on SS. Awesome work as always, Jay! Man I love this guy's work! :excited: