Muppet Convention Thread #2: Where Should it be Held?

bandit

Reaction score
I agree with BOTH of you, if you can believe it. I think that having a website wouldn't hurt...especially if we want to secure a name. But the real meat and potatoes of the work can't be done until we know what we're working with. Having said that...We're gonna do SOMETHING...with or without Greenville's help so....I'm all for rallying the troops!

HOORAH!!

Borples

Reaction score
Shoot. I just typed up a big post and lost it. Trying again:

Who's up on city politics? I was searching for the Gville Chamber of Commerce, but they don't have one. Instead they have the "Delta Economic Development Center." Nothing on their site screams "This is who you should contact if you want to plan an event." So I looked at other city govt. sites, but no inspiration there either. I mean, there's the Planning Department, but that's mostly zoning. And permits. And now I'm worried about permits. But I digress. There's the mayor's office, but again, what do they DO? And, in short, where do we send this letter?

Links:

http://www.greenville.ms.us/chamber_of_commerce.html
http://www.greenville.ms.us/City_Government.html

It would be ideal if they had a tourism office or something, but I'm not finding anything to that effect.

Borples

Reaction score
I like the idea of having a web site handy, but yeah, there's not much to put on it just yet. I do wish we had a place to chat. There are a lot of logistics to discuss, and I'm not sure if I want to start getting into all that on the forum. This thread is going to be eight hundred pages long, and there are like five of us participating!

Hmmmm. Anyway you can go straight to the source? People who put together conventions or any kimd of event usually keep numbers. Back at the library when I worked PR it was a pretty big deal. Im sure Muppetfest is the same.
Ill ask around about the site. I have some techy friends with the patience and know how to do it. :smile:

And my pleasure. You did the hard work, P! ( test driving P as your new Moniker, Borples!) This is the least I can do.
Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna start a thread in Classic Muppets to see if any of the old-timers (heh) can help me out with my MuppetFest question.

P, am I? Well, I guess we can't both be B, but where does that leave Pinky? I guess she's just Pinky. Come to think of it, I tend to think of you as 'Red.' Danny can be 'Blue.' And I'm...borple colored? Oh gosh, I need more caffeine. Or less. :smile:

bandit

Reaction score
LOL Borple is definitely purple. So there you go! P for purple. Hahahahah
That's funny. I had a friend who referred to Mokey as BLUE. o.o Blue Fraggle...which is just goofy.

Here's what I think-- I think we can go ahead and secure a domain name. It can't hurt to have it handy and then we can just add stuff as we go so if Danny wants to get on that...GO DANNY! If not, I can see if I can find one of my techy friends.

I DEFINITELY agree we need a chat room. We could all meet at certain times and discuss this stuff. Though it would be cool if we could leave messages if we could not actively be in a chat. I know there are several free chat room programs out there but question is whether or not they are permanent or whether someone has to create one every time they log on. I've never looked into it that deeply but I DO have a friend who was a mod on another forum which had a chat room attached to it. I'll see if I can get any info outta her! ^_^

P, you had some really good questions earlier too about where to direct these letters. I'm going to talk to my old boss in PR and see if she has any ideas. Sure, not every city is the same but at the very least it's a starting point.

bandit

Reaction score
We could also do a face book page a little later down the line to really saturate the air waves! Imagine that!? And if you do your videos, post them on there.
The invasion begins! Bwahahaha....of course...*ehems* "We are of peace, always."

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Beaky suggested 'thousands,' which I will use if that's a fact. Were you there, Beaky? (be prepared for my crushing jealousy if you were!)
Actually, I wasn't. But that was my best guess looking at the many bystanders I saw in pictures from MuppetFest.

By the by, these are great ideas you guys are making. I definitely agree with bandit. We should secure a domain and have it dormant until we send the letter off. (Man! I used some pretty seldom-used words in that sentence.) In reality, I think we've finished Phase 1 of this!

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Here guys! Check this out.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-own-free-disposable-chat-room/
There are still plenty of other options but this article gives an idea of just a few of the things out there.

As it says, they are all disposable so I don't know if that really fits our needs....but....check it out anyway. ^_- Weigh in!
These are some pretty cool chat rooms! These look like pretty good options for our topics. My favorite of the five is TinyChat. It looks the best of them, even though it also looks like the simplest of them.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah it looks pretty good to me too. Let's wait and see what the others think of it. :smile: