Muppet Peter Pan

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was the only person to buy it and read it yesterday? Here goes...

Now, off the top of the bat, (premptive strike and all that) someone's gonna say that the father should be played by Gonzo or another one of Dave Golez's characters... to keep up the tradtion of the father and Hook being performed by the same actor. And Lemme tell you... I have NO idea how that would have worked. Sam is an excellent choice for the father, even hijacking the narrator and the story... replacing any instance of England with America... and in a very in character pushy way.

We really got to see somewhat into a backstory, something most Peter Pan retellings never go into (I'm sure the most popular, Disney one didn't get into that depth), and really... you can tell Amy is a Muppet Babies fan here, just for the accurate drawing of what a young child version of Kermit would look like.

Piggy was just amazingly characterized, down to her not so random placement of French. Indeed I heard ALL the Muppet voices when I was reading it. Something that was inconsistent with Robin Hood (especially with characters who were introduced in that issue)...

And, well... there's nothing that can't be said about the art that we weren't already gushing over in the cover previews. This is the Muppet comic for people who hated the art of other muppet comics. We have very fluid versions that look exactly like their puppet counterparts. None of it seemed slavish, nor did it have to be stylized. I've seen numerous comics that have characters slavishly, rigidly drawn out of the style guides (certain artists in the Ren and Stimpy comic book certainly wither copied, traced, or just pasted pictures of the style guide into the comics). I especially loved the rumpled Kermit, trying to catch his shadow. looks JUST like the real thing.

All and all, we've got ourselves a great comic. Shame that the first issue was an establishing issue... But you just can't rush getting to Neverland... errr.. NeverSwamp. And I just am sitting pins and needles waiting for the next issue.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I was the only person to buy it and read it yesterday? Here goes...
I'm impatiently waiting for mine to get here... NO stores around me carry it. Have to order by snail mail. :smirk:

GRandolph

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Drtooth! I'm glad you thought the Muppet voices were right on, and Amy's artwork is indeed stellar!

Yes, plenty of Neverswamp fun awaits in issue #2, and I'm happy to hear you're looking forward to it!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the comic store. Nobody's mentioned the nicely-toothed paper! This comic book has an entirely different feel to it. It really is like a story book. :flirt:

My only complaint so far is that I want more Muppets! I have a feeling we'll see Rowlf, Animal, Pepe, Fozzie and the gang soon enough. Don't want Amy to get carpal tunnel from all the inclusions! :wink:

Amy

Reaction score
That was precisely Boom!'s reasoning behind the more newsprinty paper-stock - to get a more traditional 'comic' feel.

me, I still prefer the more modern glossy stock - it replicates colour better, but whatever. As long as the final thing is legible :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That was precisely Boom!'s reasoning behind the more newsprinty paper-stock - to get a more traditional 'comic' feel.

me, I still prefer the more modern glossy stock - it replicates colour better, but whatever. As long as the final thing is legible :wink:
I just noticed Peg Let #3 has the same paper stock too. Hmmm. Oh, and I am so glad Robin Hood is over. Make way for Pan.

Are you done with all of them yet? I know you can't disclose too much, but are there any other Muppet projects you're working on? By the way, it's been a long time since any artist has done the kind of justice to Scooter the way you have. He's a hard Muppet to get and you nail him each time. :wink:

Amy

Reaction score
Are you done with all of them yet?
Nope. Takes time to do 4 issues of comic (8 in my case, if you include Monsters Inc.) from pencils to full colour.

I know you can't disclose too much, but are there any other Muppet projects you're working on?
Yeah, no, sorry, can't say :wink:
I WILL be doing more Muppet work, that much is certain.
But until Boom! formally announces anything, I can't give hints, sorry.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the alternate cover, which is posted at Muppet Wiki (referred to as the "C" cover... It doens't say where it's exclusive to)? In the background of that cover are toys resembling Muppet characters, including Bert and Ernie. I guess Disney missed that; Roger Langridge has said that he's often tried to sneak them into the comic and Disney keeps making him take them out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... I liked that too. When it comes to comics, I always think of how worn the colors of really old ones (ones as late as the 80's) possess.... On some of the real old ones, certain inks almost bleed through the page, making the artwork look illegible. We really have come a ways sine then... but I'm liking the glossy one for the same reason... it replicates the color better.