Muppet Show Downloads

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should have just named the penguin Britney and made Luke really happy. :zany:

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Scott provides a great service. He shares these (non-released) clips on his site for free so that everybody can enjoy them.
Yeah, as far as clips are concerned (because let's face it, I could never host full episodes on my budget), I have a rule for BSL... nothing that's commercially available, read: can be purchased currently.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Maybe we should have just named the penguin Britney and made Luke really happy. :zany:
luke would have fainted...

on the other hand................................

Sarah

AmyK2402

Reaction score
I was reading through the list of replies, and I was wondering what is the website where you could download clips/episodes of The Muppets. I'm a big fan of the Muppets and it's easy for me to download clips. Kazaa has some clips, but alot of them are of the same clips, just under different names. If anyone knows of any good sights, let me know! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I always imagined it was called Zany. I think that is a great name.

:zany: :zany: :zany: :zany:

Wait are those penguins holding hands?

plucky

Reaction score
Not to revive a dead thread, but here's my thoughts on this whole thing.

1) Time-Life is selling SOME episodes on DVD. 3 episodes on each DVD, I don't even know the price, but it is alot for 3 episodes (like many Anime series).

2) There is no sign of Fraggle Rock being offered on DVD. There are some old episodes released _1 per VHS tape_, but that is all.

3) The Storyteller is going to be released soon on DVD. It will have ALL 9 episodes!

The results of the above are...

1) I was looking for Storyteller episodes online a short time ago, but the news that they would all be available soon on DVD just made sure that I'll be running out and buying it as soon as it is in stores! I can't WAIT to see them again!

2) As for Fraggle Rock episodes, hey do not air on any channel near me, and are not available in any real manner to purchase. I didn't get to watch them "back in the day" because I didn't have cable when they were on HBO. The only way for me to watch them is to find them online. I have been somewhat successful in this, and because of it would be more willing to actually purchase Fraggle Rock merchandice if it were available.

3) As for downloading of TMS episodes...
a) Any company that puts 3 22 minute episodes on a DVD is not using the DVD to its capacity. It is a waste of space, a waste of money, and a waste of resources for all parties involved. The Storyteller DVD should be a good indication of what CAN be done (be it on 1 or 2 DVDs in its pack, it is still more then 3 episodes). There are series out there I want to buy (Dragonball for instance) JUST BECAUSE they put 15 episodes in a 2 DVD set! I feel this sort of thing needs to be supported in order to show companies that customers like it!
b) I've read some reviews that say parts are missing from some episodes? This may or not be true, but I want to look into it more. If I'm buying a DVD of a show, I want the whole show there! We purchased Muppet Family Christmas and Emmet Otter on VHS, and wanted to purchase them on DVD, but found that the DVDs are still missing bits. I understand why things are missing in these two particular releases, however disappointing it is, but are parts actually missing from TMS episodes? This would REALLY make me unhappy. Downloaded episodes often come from old tapes people made, and if those are from the versions that HAVE all the missing pieces, then they really are 2 different things.

Lastly, if a complete set of Muppet Show episodes were released, in order, on DVD, with around 5 episodes on each DVD, I would walk out and drop down whatever they were asking (well, to a point, I don't have $1000 to spend on just that right now :wink: ). Same for Fraggle Rock. I can't support an endevor that is "Some episodes that we think you might like, put together in whatever order we see fit, with maybe the right beginnings and endings, but maybe not, and maybe with some parts missing out of them, and oh, we'll only put 3 episodes on a DVD too!" Such a thing seems less to me like "Supporting the Henson company" then "Supporting a Media Company that is taking advantage of their situation". Maybe this is the best deal that the Henson company could come out with right now, but I will have to hope it is not true. Buying into a series that is incomplete is something I cannot do, but as soon as a quality collection comes out (like Monty Pythons Flying Circus boxed set?! Wow, that's the way to market!) my wallet will be open to spend what they ask!

plucky - who hates the fact that DVDs are so cool, yet wasted by companies that would rather bilk the consumer..... (Blue Submarine 006 anyone? 1 30 minute episode per DVD? I think not..... if all 6 were on one DVD, even if it cost $50, I'd be happy to buy)..

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I completely agree with you that the TMS DVDs are not all they could or should be. But does that justify stealing their content from a website? If that's the case, what a person is really saying is "I actually DO like the content; I'm just using my griping as an excuse to do whatever I want with the stuff."

I can't reiterate this enough: if someone wants to download the Joel Grey ep or the Hal Linden ep or whatever else isn't currently commercially available, I have NO PROBLEM with that. But when I've perused the list of downloadable stuff, someone's always offering the Star Wars ep, the Elton John ep, the Vincent Price ep, etc. That takes money out of Henson's pockets and guarantees we won't be seeing a follow-up season-by-season boxed set anytime soon.

To answer your question about the eps not being complete: most of the episodes are 100% complete, including scenes that never aired here in America. With all the first-season episodes, though (there's about 3 or 4 of them out of the 45 available eps), they forgot (?) to restore the original openings. So if you don't want to buy them out of protest, that's fine. But a true protest, in my mind, doesn't mean downloading and enjoying the content anyway.

Anyway, no death threats aimed at you, my friend. Just trying to make my side of the argument clear.

plucky

Reaction score
Oh, I understand what your argument is, I'm just presenting some other sides to it, Devils Advocate is fun :smile:

Let's move on to another discussion too that might have interesting results....

How many people here have Muppet Episodes on VHS tape, be it from taping it themselves, or from trading it with other people?

Now, how many of those people have gone out and bought all the ones on DVD that they own and watch on VHS?

Now, true, the Supreme Court ruled that "time shifting" is legal, but I haven't read the finer points of that ruling. Is it still legal to watch those episodes AGAIN and AGAIN? That is no longer truely "time shifting". Trading tapes and dubbing them for others also is just the same as downloading them via. the internet.

Now, lets take the example of someone who HAS all episodes of the Muppet Show on VHS, and they taped them off the TV themselves. Depending on if one thinks it is fine for that person to keep and enjoy those tapes, even though some are available for purchase now, can that person also download them from the internet?
What if a person OWNS a CD, and downloads the songs from that CD off of the internet, is that fine as well?
What if a person OWNS a store purchased VHS tape of a Muppet Show, can they download that off the internet? What if the download is DVD quality and looks better then the VHS tape, or has an extra that the VHS doesn't?

Just a whole bunch of theoretical questions to ponder and debate :smile:

plucky