Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I own two of the "Best of" DVDs...I am glad that I didn't buy any more since this box set is what should have been released in the first place. My biggest gripe about the DVD revolution is when companies release a DVD to hungry fans, and then a few years later release a superior vesion of the first release. I can't help but wonder why in the world this practice continues.
Anyone care to guess?
I could see a number of possibilities

1. They release the inital "best of" DVD's, not thinking there will be a market for the full season sets. The sales of the "best of" leads them to think otherwise.
2. They use it as a "test" to see how many fans are buying the DVD's to see if they can justify a full season set.
3. They just try to bleed as much money out of the consumer that they can.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
This is really great news, and a fantastic start to showcase what kind of get-down-to-it kind of guy Greg is! Awesome work GelflingWaldo!!! I always was impressed with all you've done for these box sets, and I can't help but attribute most of this to your online petition! :smile:

Stulz

Reaction score
This is great news, and I will probably buy it regarless, however what will really make me excited about this release will be inclusion of the original openings as well as the original Zoot closings. Most of these opening/closings have been cut off for most of the releases and syndicatied airings.

These along with the UK skits must be included for the set to truly be "complete."

Any way to let Disney know that we need these included, as we have been doing with HIT about the Fraggle season sets?

Exatron

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there is any flip-flopping on which openings to use since a DVD set could easily contain both, perhaps by using the multiangle feature.

Whatever

Reaction score
I'm excited! My pet peeve is that I'll probably be in Europe when it comes out. I want to go to Europe of course, but I wish the timing was different. I know Europe has its own sets, but why buy that when it won't work in the US. I guess I'll just wait a year!

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I'm excited! My pet peeve is that I'll probably be in Europe when it comes out. I want to go to Europe of course, but I wish the timing was different. I know Europe has its own sets, but why buy that when it won't work in the US. I guess I'll just wait a year!
If it was me I'd buy the European versions of these as well as the American versions when I get back. One because I wouldn't be able to wait a whole year. And two, if they are a little different than the American version in either content or packaging, they would be great collecters items. Even if you decided not to keep them, you cold probably sell them.

rexcrk

Reaction score
This is great! I purposely held out on buying those single-disc three episode ones 'cause I KNEW they were gonna be doing this. And the actual set sounds like it's gonna be totally awesome! But one thing, why would they NOT include the original Season 1 openings? (besides not being able to obtain them of course)

Beauregard

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
This is great! I purposely held out on buying those single-disc three episode ones 'cause I KNEW they were gonna be doing this. And the actual set sounds like it's gonna be totally awesome! But one thing, why would they NOT include the original Season 1 openings? (besides not being able to obtain them of course)
Persumably becaue people are more used to the regular openings. And becaue this is more old fasioned.

BUT, if they had the new openings on the old Muppet Show it would look strange becaue of the different look of the Puppets.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Persumably becaue people are more used to the regular openings. And becaue this is more old fasioned.

BUT, if they had the new openings on the old Muppet Show it would look strange becaue of the different look of the Puppets.
Well, when they released the Flintstones first season DVD set last year, they used the original openings again(as opposed to the newer one where Fred slides down the tail of his dinosaur into his car). Yet more people are used to the newer opening. So that arguement doesn't sit well with me.

Personally, I think they should use the original openings, if for no other reason that for historical preservation. The second season onward openings may look better, but as someone who grew up on the Muppet Show, I would like to see those original openings.