Muppet Treasure Island: Buried Treasure

Ruahnna

Reaction score
The fight scenes. The fight scenes are just worth watching. Kermit's fancy swordplay and daring, manly (um, frogly) deeds are just endearing. I love it when he cuts up Long John's uniform. Watch for Clueless Morgan to be the worst pirate fighter, like, EVER! (Also watch the other pirates gang up on him!)

I like the singing and talking trees. If you watch to the very end of the movie credits--which we all do, right?--then you'll see the tree telling a joke to the very unimpressed Long John Silver.

The ending, with Jim realizing that there is probably some good in even bad people. I liked Smollet's affirmation of his wise decision, and the support that Jim receives from his friends, as well.

Zanzibarbarians. (Need I say more?)

Piggy's entrance on the elephant with the chanting boars. Love the boar costumes.

(Did not like Fozzie's role in this. The whole "little man who lives in my finger" thing was off-putting.)

I did like the way they handled the story. I just finished listening to "Treasure Island" as a book on tape, and admired again the way they took what they could use and changed other things according to what serves the movie best. Benjamina Gunn has to be the biggest stroke of original thinking, but I also like the way they portray Jim getting ashore with the pirates, and the way he is induced to join them by the taking of his father's compass. Jim's father's compass also provides some sweet moments in the movie.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm? After diving through Muppet Wiki's articles on the subject, I thought those were the characters identified as "The Island Heads" at the end of the movie.
And you know the character of Polly Lobster, refered to as "Bad Polly" in the credits? Well, he wasn't the original choice for Long John's confidant. No, the original drafts of the movie called for a female parrot named Amazonia, but she was written out of the story when her character relationship got a bit too adult shall we say. The parrot was however used later, as Stevenson the Parrot in the MTI CD-Rom computer game.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
And you know the character of Polly Lobster, refered to as "Bad Polly" in the credits? Well, he wasn't the original choice for Long John's confidant. No, the original drafts of the movie called for a female parrot named Amazonia, but she was written out of the story when her character relationship got a bit too adult shall we say. The parrot was however used later, as Stevenson the Parrot in the MTI CD-Rom computer game.
I've read that every draft had a change in how Polly was portrayed. In one draft, it was a parrot named Robert Louis Stephensen, who regretted writing the book. Also, it was originally considered to have Gonzo play "Jim" and Rizzo play "Hawkins", before casting them as themselves portraying Jim Hawkin's friends (I wonder if the writers ever considered having them narrarate the movie again, like in The Muppet Christmas Carol).

spcglider

Reaction score
I have to say that, of everything PJH (post Jim Henson), Muppet Treasure Island is my top pick. Everybody seemed to be settling in nicely with their new characters (especially Steve and Kermit) and they hadn't forgotten the classic, timeless humor that made the Muppets so marketable in the first place.

But then again, how can you go wrong with a Pirate story and The Muppets? Seems like a natural to me.

I love the soundtrack. It's actually got some weight to it. The songs are clever and funny. And the orchestral stuff is rich and gorgeous.

The Muppets that were created specifically for the film (the pirates, mostly) were not only sweet puppets design wise, but were written and performed extremely well and fit in with the overall Muppet idiom.

I didn't like what turned out to be a lasting effect on the character of Fozzie, though. Since MTI, he's been treated very much like the "idiot son of Squire Trelawney" in every script that's been done. Very similar to what they did with Sallah and Markus Brody in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They were written as bungling idiots. A shame, since their characters were richer and more interesting than that (as proven by Raiders Of The Lost Ark).

Fozzie is not an idiot. In fact, he's quite smart. But for some reason, the character that he plays in MTI stuck on him and has haunted him ever since. Even in Very Merry Muppet Christmas. Shame again, really.

But beyond that, Muppet Treasure Island is my "newest" favorite. My "oldest" favorite, of course, remains The Muppet Movie.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
The Count said:
The pirate names... Recently found out Big-Fat-Ugly-Bug-Faced-Baby-Eating O'Brien was a human character, and a lady pirate at that.

Now check me on this: The woman they had appearing as Big-Fat-Ugly-Bug-Faced-Baby-Eating O'Brien looked VERY MUCH like "Cutthroat Island's" Geena Davis... was that a purposeful jab at another pirate flick?

I haven't checked release dates against each other, so it could just be a crazy co-inky-dink... but WHAT a coincidence it would be! Eh?

-Gordon

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I loved the way that Kermit looks so very vulnerable when he is strung up by the pirates. This is such a, well, costuming thing, but his slim little legs beneath the knickers make him look noble and yet gentlemanly and urbane. Although he certainly frightened and facing certain doom, he exudes strength and demands that Benjamina not give in just to save him. This was very different from Kermit's reaction to almost the same situation in TMM, but then--that was Kermit, wasn't it? And this is Captain Smollet, who is different! Gee--the frog can act! Kermit in captivity doesn't mind to show a little fear and crack wise. But Captain Smollet is a fount of strength and fearlessness. This also makes the song more touching. Any, I was just delving deep and thought I'd share....

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I absolutely love the melon-sized eyes that Kermit's sporting when trying to keep Piggy from falling to certain doom.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I liked Piggy's description of her house--pink lawn furniture. I also like the way she says, "He maroooooned me!"

Beauregard

Reaction score
I love everything about Piggy's voice and look in this movie. She was at one of her best stages (she goes through ups and downs). Her costumes were marvelous (Do you think she got to keep them?) and her hair was perfect.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I agree Beau! I loved everything about Piggy in this movie! Her hair, the outfits, EVERYTHING!