Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

LadyHyde

Reaction score
Ashanti? Someone I never would've guessed. But I would've preferred Natalie Portman.

Luke

Reaction score
I don't think Portman was ever really a feasible choice. She probably made a wishlist but sounds more like internet rumor that just picked up steam. I can't believe there hasn't been more reaction to this, the Palisades board is jumping with erm pretty much disgust at the news.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. We just don't have enough movies based on classic books where a soul-singing lost-soul finds her way. I suppose that urbanizing the film makes up for the deletion of Snoop Dogg from the VMX film? I dunno. Anyways, there've only been Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland type films where the singer performs her way to the big time, and I guess it's time we have another.

Luke

Reaction score
I'm mixed on it. I don't like the way they are really going to modernise the actual plot, but it was expected. Ashanti is credbile, so i'm sure seeing as they would have paid up for her to do this kinda stuff we'll be hearing a LOT of her, i'd rather hear our Muppets the most. I am liking the Tarrantino skit, also the role for the Rats. Not so sure about Kermit as the Scarecrow - i'm guessing the Scarecrow ends up falling for the witch and she rebuffs him or something. What about the Penguins? That's what i wanna know.

Do you think i should have posted the article in this thread? I started a new one because it was big news but i dunno now ...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Nah, you linked to it above.

Wondering: You reckon they'll have Kermit the Scarecrow be made of green burlap material for the head and green gloves for the hands? Or, just put Kermit in a scarecrow costume?

I think I'd like to see the Muppets more into the fashion of who they're playing. You know, they can make a metallic-looking Gonzo puppet, with the voice and long-crooked nose we'll know it's Gonzo; especially if they carry the eyes over to it. Fozzie as Lion would work basically well just how they did it before on TMS: Add a bushy mane and lion tail, and whiskers to his nose. Fozzie as a Cowardly Lion can be VERY funn-ee!

Luke

Reaction score
I reckon they'll just stick Kermit in a scarecrow costume - brand recognisability when it comes to merchandise and future products etc etc. I could see them doing something funky with Gonzo though. I agree, Fozzie is great as the lion - very glad they stuck with that.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Yea no dobt. I honestly don't think it will be as A list (Well as far as teen actors) as we may think. Although they got alot of normaly just A-List Film Actors in VMMC so who knows. Muppets still hold such a great brand name. Once again Disney knew what they were getting with that name.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Oz

Well gang I am going to hold out for an unknow to play Dorothy, personally speaking that would work so much better. This story is supposed to be based more on the book, but I am sure Disney and the Muppets will give it there own twist and turns.

I think it would play better to use charactes more like the Lion, Scarecrow, and tin man from Disneys return to OZ, and include the Muppet Characters as things like the Witch, the Wizard, the Munchkins, The Good witch and so on.

From the sound of it, this really will not be happening the way I would like. So what else is new. I do hope they atleast try to make kermit, Gonzo and fozzy look more likethe magical creatures they are playing, it will make the magic more believable. I do hope it will nor be ultra modern, asn i ahve allready stated the Wiz really did not to well at all as a rock and roll verision of OZ

McFraggle

Reaction score
Luke said:
I reckon they'll just stick Kermit in a scarecrow costume - brand recognisability when it comes to merchandise and future products etc etc. I could see them doing something funky with Gonzo though. I agree, Fozzie is great as the lion - very glad they stuck with that.
I too could see them doing something weird with Gonzo. I also agree about the Fozzie and Kermit comments. :smile: