MuppetFest 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Beau. "I don't think they will release this, because you can see the performers."

Actually, the opposite is true. The recorded version is Muppets-only. I don't believe it's broadcast quality. At the time it was only shot to provide vision for the big screens. Also, there would be too many rights and clearance issues to cover. The tape exists, but it's one for the archives.

secret squirrel

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i was gonna say that, if they had big screens there, that was what the video was primarily feeding - it's different than filming something for TV. Interesting that the version is Muppets only though.

It would actually have been a good collectors item to sell via a Muppet fan club if they ever got one going again.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance of it making it to the Museum of Radio and Television? That's one way for people to see it. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Luke said:
It would actually have been a good collectors item to sell via a Muppet fan club if they ever got one going again.
Luke, JHC cant even spent 5 minutes to update Muppets.com(which I find pretty sad) ...I think the only collectors club is the Palisades one.
You know, I see no reason why JHC cant whip Muppets.com into something really special...or maybe Im the only one who notices what should be the main site hasnt been updated since cell phones were still a dream away.

Secret Squirrel said:
Beau. "I don't think they will release this, because you can see the performers."

Actually, the opposite is true. The recorded version is Muppets-only. I don't believe it's broadcast quality. At the time it was only shot to provide vision for the big screens. Also, there would be too many rights and clearance issues to cover. The tape exists, but it's one for the archives.

secret squirrel
I figured that the taping was primarily for the overhead screens...but it seems like an extrodinary amount of work went into it(like the quasi 3d holographic lasers for the Newsman sketches) as well as just a historical thing for them to do. I guess this is like MV3D...one ya have to be there to see:frown:

Luke

Reaction score
beaker said:
You know, I see no reason why JHC cant whip Muppets.com into something really special...or maybe Im the only one who notices what should be the main site hasnt been updated since cell phones were still a dream away.
They have no money, so i would guess the motivation for them to do things nowadays would be for the potential to profit, if someone could come up with a good proposal for Henson Interactive to develop something subscription wise you never know. They did put together a mailing list around the anniversay time and would have seen how Palisades club is doing so they do seem interested.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Beaker said:
You know, I see no reason why JHC cant whip Muppets.com into something really special...or maybe Im the only one who notices what should be the main site hasnt been updated since cell phones were still a dream away..
I highly doubt this last quote, since we've had cell phones since at least the late 1980s!

(technically, they were around even in the 70s!) Trust me, I saw this stuff at the museum recently
:smile:
:wink:

But to get back to the post, yeah, muppets.com could be improved by a lot.
And I'd love to see video of Muppet Fest, since I wasn't able to go.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Secret Squirrel said:
The recorded version is Muppets-only. secret squirrel

There were a few forehead, hand, and shots like that. I loved it!! :zany:

Oh yeah, not that it'll matter much, but I voice my desire...my whole hearted necessity!...for this to be released on DVD/Video.

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
Luke. "Interesting that the version is Muppets only though."

To clarify: The cameras were at Muppet height. So it includes the guest stars, but, for the most part, not the Muppet performers.

secret squirrel

puppet builder

Reaction score
The Muppet Show-Live would be nice, but...

The Muppet Show Live performance was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and a lot of fun to see. A video release would be awesome for my memories.

The way it was produced was both for Jumbotron and intent for subsequent release was obvious. It was very well scripted.

Brooke Shields and Jon Voight were great, especially for his stepping in last minute. It was wonderful to see Paul Williams, though his voice was pretty shakey.

Similarly, Steve had the same kind of troubles that night. After the comment below, I remember Steve telling me that he had a head cold and remember him drinking hot tea all weekend. Steve is a brillant performer. Give him the rat, amongst many others and he's unbeatable. He's taken up Kermit nobly and with gusto. Yet, Kermit's personality is subtley different and singing as Kermit is something that just hasn't ever worked well for him. I would imagine it was very hard and an emotional thing for him to have to do live. However, that piece is THE signature piece of anything the Muppets have ever done. That night, it just wasn't ON.

Remember the Perform a Muppet segment at Muppetfest!? Seemed intended to be incorporated into the opening for the live show. Yet, it just didn't pan out, so it didn't make the live show.

This is why The Muppet Show - Live is in the vault and will likely stay there. If the finished video was quality and stood a chance of making money, without risk to the reputation of Muppets, it would be out there.

JHC has followed a path of producing high end "picture perfect" product in it's post-Jim era. They are very open to fan appreciation, but are very closed-door when it comes to opportunities within the company. Somewhat understandable, yet some of those long-time, dedicated fans may have an incredible understanding of the characters and just the ticket that JHC needs for the survival of the characters.

People want to laugh and the Muppets naturally taps into that. If JHC can't recover that essence of zany energy, that is so much their trademark, and reliably translate it to media within a timeframe that resonates with their fanbase; their efforts and successes will continue... however conservatively.

With Fond Memories & Honesty,
Puppet Builder

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
puppet builder said:
Similarly, Steve had the same kind of troubles that night. He is a brillant performer. Give him the rat, amongst many others and he's unbeatable. He's taken up Kermit nobly and with gusto. Yet, Kermit's personality is subtley different and singing as Kermit is something that just hasn't ever worked well for him. I would imagine it was very hard and emotional thing for him to have to do live. However, that piece is THE signature piece of anything the Muppets have ever done. That night it just wasn't ON.
Our friend Steve was very sick that whole weekend, so that we had a MS Live at all is a blessing!! He had some throat infection (possibly sinus infection).

The discussion came up recently about Steve's Kermit, and 99.9% of the time he's dead-on to Jim's (in the opinions of myself and a friend), except once in a while Kermit's voice--while talking--cracks. This is noticeable in the Behind the Scenes stuff with Kermit on KSY. I decided that it's likely Steve's way of performing Kermit but by letting you know directly that it isn't Jim's voice we're hearing.

However, Steve--to have gone on with MuppetFest and Muppet Show Live!--is to be applauded and cheered! :smile:

HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!
Go, man! Go!

And Jerry's Floyd sounds exactly like Jerry's Floyd. Thought I'd add that. :sing:

FOZ

Status
Not open for further replies.