MuppetFest 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Secret Squirrel. Some people here had suspected as much. Oh, well. Maybe if they ever do another one they can record it. And maybe we can see little snippets in upcoming retrospectives and DVD collections!

Here's hoping...

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Briefly: the two-day MuppetFest convention in So. California in Dec. 2001 concluded with "The Muppet Show Live," a two-hour benefit performance for Feed the Kids that was framed as an episode of "The Muppet Show," complete with Kermit popping out of an O at the beginning, with Statler and Waldorf heckling from a balcony, and with plenty of comedy and musical numbers. The difference between this and a typical episode of TMS is not only the length, but the fact that it was being performed live on stage in front of us. Not actors in giant costumes performing to a prerecorded track, but the ACTUAL Muppets live on stage, with the actual performers.

Brooke Shields and Jon Voight were among the guest stars, as was Paul Williams, who played a piano with Kermit sitting on it as they (and eventually other Muppets) performed a number of the most famous songs that Williams wrote for the Muppets (he wrote the scores for Muppet Movie, Muppet Christmas Carol, and Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas). The "Rainbow Connection" finale featured a TON of the most famous Muppets onstage, as well as the towering Bossmen characters.

In other words, it was one of the GREATEST Muppet productions ever. Period.

Unfortunately, the people at Henson were too humble about their creation, apparently, and didn't realize anyone would want copies afterwards. Hence the "will we ever see this on video?" discussion.

Hope that helped.

Ryan

Reaction score
This probably should be moved to another folder. Again, another misleading post. :rolleyes:

dwmckim

Reaction score
My 2 cents on the video/dvd release...

I feel strongly this is something that should be made available and the whole key is in HOW it's done...

If we're talking about an available-in-stores general release product, i doubt that would be the best avenue. It is possible to do so if marketed appropriately and with a special introduction announcing the circumstances the show was done under etc. (ie intro and/or packaging can be along the lines of "In December 2001, Muppet fans the world over gathered in Santa Monica for a weekend celebration of the works of the Jim Henson Company. The official fan festival, put on by Henson and Creation Entertertainment, climaxed with a special live performance of The Muppet Show at the Palace Theatre in Hollywood! The audience got to view the show as if they were watching an actual production of The Muppet Show being taped: seeing the Muppeteers working The Muppets held up over their heads on platformed stages - while interacting with human guests Paul Williams, Brooke Shields, and Jon Voight. Mixed with classic clips, favorite songs/sketches and all new material, this special evening doubled as a benefit for Save the Children. Now fans the world over can experience the MuppetFest magic that took place!" Extras of course could include additional footage of highlights of the Festival portion....or even some of the rare footage that was screened (or stuff that wasn't shown...like some of the stuff being shown at MTR - this would be a wonderful opportunity to get some of the old commercials and rare early stuff on DVD).

...However, while that would be the best route to go IF it was a commercial DVD, my main feeling is that it should be a special video/DVD sold through Creation...which is something that's not too uncommon for them to do - releasing videos of a festival highlights. (The Farscape Fan Club had a video release of their first Con). That way it's available to those that want it - the purchasers have a full understanding of the circumstances that the show was done under, and much of the overhead costs associated with a larger commercial release wouldn't apply as per fancy packaging, advertising/marketing, distribution, etc etc.

Granted, Henson can probably use all the money it can take in (and Creation certainly love to rake in as much cash as they can bleed from fans), but if possible, they could even extend the charity portion further and have a portion of the proceeds go to Save the Children.

There are ways to get this show out to those who want to see it! Especially considering how the initial press for MuppetFest referred to it as what would be an annual event and now it doesn't seem like there will be a MF II (or if there is, it won't be for awhile), it would be a good way to keep the official organized fandom going and keep up the energy/momentum. Those that weren't able to attend (and especially those who were counting on a future event - not to mention those that were initially planning to go but weren't after the delayed date change) should be given the chance to see it. It can - and should - be done.

Luke

Reaction score
DW

Henson related people have said that the video shot is not broadcast quality, what you were seeing was being shot for the big screens for the audience to get a good view. I know myself, that technically the conditions for shooting something for a live relay, and shooting something for broadcast is totally different. It'll never be released as a commercial product - though clips would make some nice commercial DVD extra's where the quality wouldn't matter too much, or as you say, just a low budget DVD sold at the next Muppetfest (if there is one) or via a website. It's a shame cos i'd like to see it.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Any information on the next MuppetFest?

Hi everyone!!I know that many people online here have been to a muppet fest..I would love to go to one, but how much would it cost? Where is it located? Any information would help out greatly..thanks!!

-Sandee-

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There may not be another MuppetFest convention. No official announcements have been made for the next one. The Henson team is working through a lot of long-term strategies right now. If it happens, believe me it will be all over the site and forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.