MuppetFest: Discuss Original and Your Dreams

Ruahnna

Reaction score
If they want a sign of support, I'm in. Say the word and I'm there with my magic plastic money card. Promise. If theres a Muppetfest, I'm coming with my feather boa and my checkbook. So--set 'em up, boys!

Seriously! If there is anyting we can do here at MC as a show of support for a new MF, spell it out. I'll even, um, help organize if I can figure out what to do. I sooooo want this.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
unclematt said:
What Movie Stars were there?
Tracy Ullman was one--the rest I don't remember. Too long ago now. I still can't believe I got kicked off the floor before I could meet Jerry Nelson and Steve Whitmire. :frown: I was only 3 feet from Jerry at the time, too.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
(whispering) Um, I don't suppose we could hope to see a Kermit who was actually nice to Piggy, could we? Or is that expecting too much?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
They gave us that (actually) in Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. It was a cute, in-passing kind of thing.

Leyla

Reaction score
Well, regarding Kermit being nice to Piggy... that's a part of his character. Kermit growls, snips, and snarks at the muppets around him... and often, hey, no wonder! They drive him CRAZY! But you know, deep down, he loves them, all of the insane members of his family, and always will, no matter how often they push him off the deep end.

But... it's not always easy to see that love... famial love, (I'll keep the gushyness out of this discussion) in Kermit's snarkiness towards Piggy. Certainly it's more fierce than towards any other muppet... and you can argue that Piggy drives him crazier than any of the others... but there are times when it goes beyond simple tension relief and jokes... it gets cruel.

I'm not saying Piggy can't handle it...I'm not even saying she doesn't deserve it. (I don't think she does, but I'm not focusing on that.) I'm saying it violates Kermit's character. He snips, snarks, grumbles and complains, but when push comes to shove, he doesn't mean it. He wouldn't deliberately hurt anyone.

Kermit's not mean. He just isn't. In a slew of five minute interviews, where Piggy's not around to snip back or fluster him... he comes off as one-sided and mean, at least he does sometimes anyway.

In a show... (boy, are MY fingers crossed), Kermit doesn't have to treat her like a china doll, or even like a girlfriend, to show that he cares about her... and he does. Kermit cares about all of his friends. I think that's all Ru is saying... just that it gets hard to watch him use her constantly as a target for cheap jokes. (There are hysterical jokes between them, at her expense, but... it just isn't funny when it's ...uncaring. Doesn't really make you like Kermit either.)

He IS a nice frog... to everyone... even when he is also a tired, grumpy, sarcastic, frustrated frog. Let Kermit be who he is, that's all.

unclematt

Reaction score
I dont think Kermit has ever been meen for the sake of being meen. I think it is always in a joking matter.

beaker

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
*roots for beaker* You, my good sir, have made me one happy prawn.
Thanks, but we all deserve to be happy. I think we've waited long enough for *something* big to come along, and really to get the Muppets back again.

Super Scooter said:
... wait... do you know something I don't know? I'm confused.
perhaps a little:wink:

As for Kermit and Piggy, I think(within "Muppet canon", canon being the Muppets real lives when they arent acting) they can never be together again. Kermit has made it clear on more than one time on the late night talk show circuit there just wont be any romance between the two.

Now Im not sure if thats Whitmire's take, or if thats just an established thing.

Like, I dont believe Gonzo is an "alien" in Muppet canon, anymore than Kermit really is Captain Smolet. I think what happens in the Muppet movies, or
the non backstage segments of Muppet shows is not part of official Muppet canon, as I see the Muppets as actors.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I still can't believe I got kicked off the floor before I could meet Jerry Nelson and Steve Whitmire. :frown: I was only 3 feet from Jerry at the time, too.
You got kicked off? I'm confused now!

J

unclematt

Reaction score
Beaker I say you tell us everything yo know and let us keep it a secret.