MuppetFest: Discuss Original and Your Dreams

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd love a tri-agreement to have a penultimate Jim Henson weekend (I couldn't see why the three companies wouldn't want to do such a thing).

Still, while I can't see why they wouldn't, they probably wouldn't.

Something fan-based could be nice if planned correctly.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
If Disney, JHC, and SW are going to make money off us, then they need to listen to us and give us what we want.
But the majority of money from the muppets etc isn't from the sort of die-hard fan that would go to MuppetFest. We're very much in the minority, and have no stranglehold over such large organisations.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Would it be illegal for them to come to some kind of agreement with the two companies. I mean both companies need to be able to look at the bigger picture. We obviously cant have an event without Kermit and the gang and I wouldnt want to have an event without all the SS crew or the Fraggles or anything that has come out of JHC. I would even like to be able to maybe have Puppet Up performance. It really could be a great weekend. I think we need to find a way to make this happen with the two companies (3 if you include SW).
This comment drew my attention to something. I hadn't really realized it before, but there has been no re-release of Muppet Family Christmas this year. It seems like that's the first Muppet production to hit shelves around this time.

If we saw that released, with no character groups cut out (i.e., Fraggles, Sesame Street), it might at least prove that there's hope there.

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I'll start by sharing this so you know where I come from: I work for AOL as a blogger for the website Cinematical. Cine is a member of Weblogs, Inc, one of the absolute largest blog companies existing. We pull in a good amount of traffic. I'm the regular geek-beat writer, doing anywhere from 50-100 posts per month. I've written about my Muppet love on more than one occasion via my regular weekly column, "The Geek Beat," and my shorter posts.

Personally, I don't understand why we need to have company members involved to enjoy ourselves. Yes, it would be crazy-fantastic if we could have another MuppetFest with major headliner guests.

If we can't do that, why not just all get together to celebrate our love for all things Muppet? My friends and I regularly get together for Muppet viewings (this weekend is Christmas With the Muppets, watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, AVMMCM, MCC, MFC, and A Christmas Toy) and have a grand time. Why not just do that, but bigger?

Heck with another Fest if we can't pull it off. Why not just rent out a place and all get together to watch a ton of Muppet stuff with people who love and appreciate it? Yeah, it won't be as grand as MuppetFest, but it is much more doable, and thorougly fun. Think of it as a MuppetCentral Meet 'n Greet Party.

If it happens on any sort of large scale, we can get minor media coverage. Who knows, it might catch Disney's eye and let them know we still exist and care. If it gets any traction at all, Cinematical may let me cover it, which would at least give the thing exposure through AOL.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I was thinking of something similar. I went to see The Great Muppet Caper in the theater last night, and the place was pretty full. I didn't realize it until then, but Muppet fans are more commonplace than we might think. Maybe not to the same extent as some of us, but...

The fans are there, Disney. It's not a big gamble to do something with the Muppets.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Out of interest does anyone know how many MC members there are? And how many of them are active members?

BEAR

Reaction score
Punch'n'Judy said:
Out of interest does anyone know how many MC members there are? And how many of them are active members?

Good question.

Faylo

Reaction score
Well, according to the stats we have 9,108 members!
But, those who are active... I say maybe 150-200?

unclematt

Reaction score
You guys just gave me an idea. How about Muppet Central Fest?

beaker

Reaction score
Punch'n'Judy said:
But the majority of money from the muppets etc isn't from the sort of die-hard fan that would go to MuppetFest. We're very much in the minority, and have no stranglehold over such large organisations.

Ive been asking this for ages, as a fan of many huge franchises.

Why are Muppet fans, the only fans of a world famous, long running franchise that has very few diehard and active online fans/communities?

Farscape, a Henson side project that lasted just a few years, has infinately more fdiehard and active fans online than the Muppets. Same with Firefly...that lasted what, 11 episodes?

the Muppets have been around for 50 years, have been seen by half the planet on every continent, and has had a gillion spinoffs, side series, etc.

So what gives? I've been observing the online Muppet fandom thing since 1997, and a decade later its STILL underground and considered fringe.

In a way that makes it more special, like a badge of honor. Theres nothing interesting or exciting about meeting a Trekker or Lucasfan(tho I am still a huge star wars fan)

Anyone got any theories?