MuppetFest: Discuss Original and Your Dreams

beaker

Reaction score
MarkFraggle said:
If it happens on any sort of large scale, we can get minor media coverage. Who knows, it might catch Disney's eye and let them know we still exist and care. If it gets any traction at all, Cinematical may let me cover it, which would at least give the thing exposure through AOL.
I advocated this in 1998-2000 on here, but the fact is...without some sort of 1) official sponsor/event or 2) without at least some JHC/Muppeteers involved in some way, even unoifficially...its going to be like ya said, just a few people meeting at a restaurant to watch dvds in a hotel room.

MuppetFest got what, I think 1200 people. And that was before the massive 2002/2003 Muppets everywhere blitz at the stores and on tv.

If...IF Disney designated a "Muppet filled weekend" with Muppeteers at either WDW or California Adventure, this may be the closest we'd have to a Muppet fest...and I guarantee youd have alot of fans flying out.

Super Scooter said:
This comment drew my attention to something. I hadn't really realized it before, but there has been no re-release of Muppet Family Christmas this year. It seems like that's the first Muppet production to hit shelves around this time.

If we saw that released, with no character groups cut out (i.e., Fraggles, Sesame Street), it might at least prove that there's hope there.
LOL! Disney probably would cut the FR and SS guys out if they rereleased it.
The post 2004 era has not been kind to us fans.
Super Scooter said:
I was thinking of something similar. I went to see The Great Muppet Caper in the theater last night, and the place was pretty full. I didn't realize it until then, but Muppet fans are more commonplace than we might think. Maybe not to the same extent as some of us, but...

The fans are there, Disney. It's not a big gamble to do something with the Muppets.
True. Deep down most people have afondness for the Muppets...but the *actual* active Muppet fans/diehard fans are few and far between.
That said, if Muppetfest had been properly promoted, ya woulda h ad azillion more people...as ya say, people have a fondness for the Muppets.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's sad because the Muppets have such potential for a major comeback. I like that they were trying to do some edgier stuff with them for a while, but I think the main focus on any future Muppet production would have to focus heavily on sticking to the characters personalities, and maybe playing with that.

(momentary plug for myself): In my fan-fic/script, I included Bean Bunny as a fairly large character. I think I did an okay job at giving him his personality, but expanded on it so he could say things that maybe he couldn't get away with before. That'd be pretty cool to see for the Muppets on the large scale.

I attended the movie with a friend who only "likes" the Muppets, but he was laughing just the same as anyone else in the theater. Not a "diehard" fan, but I think I can draw him out some. :wink: Another MuppetFest would do extraordinarily well, in my own opinion. The Muppets are still cool, they're still funny, they have their diehard fans and their frequent viewers. And I think more people like the Muppets a lot more than they might care to admit.

beaker

Reaction score
Alright, so we all agree that there needs to be a big Muppety gathering for 2007 sometime.

Question tho:

Do we want to count on the off chance Disney will do something...and the super off chance they'll have JHC be a part of it...

or are people going to organize their own small independent Muppet gathering, with the off chance they can get a few people from the Muppet world involved?

unclematt

Reaction score
I think we need to give the first a try and have the second as a fall back.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
meetup.com (or soemthing similar) had a Muppet Fan section that you could create a MeetUp in your city with other Muppet Fans. I never got any replies to it, though, so dropped it.

unclematt

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
meetup.com (or soemthing similar) had a Muppet Fan section that you could create a MeetUp in your city with other Muppet Fans. I never got any replies to it, though, so dropped it.
I am going to look into that.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
What we should do is have a MC Fest, basically all the members close to a certain state all meet. So lets say NY, if anybody is near NY, they come to New York etc. What we could do is just have a week marathon (in the summer) of muppet productions (old, new, rare) I would be glad to participate. We can also have food, muppet music, etc.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am all about that. I dont need much of an excuse to go to New York.

SweetumsRules

Reaction score
I have an idea. Why dont we just do it independently? Like how they do comic conventions, or even horror conventions. They invite actors, in this case muppet performers, pay for their travel and hotel expense, and the actors make money themselves selling autgraphed pictures, and autographing your own stuff. Thats how the Chiller and Fangoria conventions of horror and stuff got started, independently. Maybe Disney or the JHC will even be interested. Set up rooms with performers, puppets autographing, and other rooms with vendors. Then you have Henson-type happenings, movie showings, Q&A, etc.

I dont know, I mean I know Disney owns the Muppets now, but There's gotta be something we can do as fans and do a fest or convention or something. I mean face it, muppet fans are like a cult status, just like comic book and horror fans. lol

unclematt

Reaction score
SweetumsRules said:
I have an idea. Why dont we just do it independently? Like how they do comic conventions, or even horror conventions. They invite actors, in this case muppet performers, pay for their travel and hotel expense, and the actors make money themselves selling autgraphed pictures, and autographing your own stuff. Thats how the Chiller and Fangoria conventions of horror and stuff got started, independently. Maybe Disney or the JHC will even be interested. Set up rooms with performers, puppets autographing, and other rooms with vendors. Then you have Henson-type happenings, movie showings, Q&A, etc.

I dont know, I mean I know Disney owns the Muppets now, but There's gotta be something we can do as fans and do a fest or convention or something. I mean face it, muppet fans are like a cult status, just like comic book and horror fans. lol
That sounds great except there would be alot of up front costs that I dont know if us Muppites (a while back we did vot on Muppites, right?) would be able to afford. Cost is always the first obstacle and it is a big one at that.