Muppets Auditions Sept 2005+

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Melonpool said:
One thing about doing it Friday night -- who knows how late the auditions are going to go? It could be a really late evening.

Steve
Thanks. That's one of the things I was keeping in mind about that. Also, folks don't want to be up too late the night before an audition anyhow, and we know us: once we all get to talking and puppet-ing and being our usual online selves, we'll wander off-topic, "muffin" the meeting, and have too much fun to call it quits early! That's why I chose Saturday evening.

So far, there's quite a few who's making it to the dinner. Wish others could go, too.

BEAR

Reaction score
Still trying to decide if I will be able to go to the audition. I live about 5-10 minutes away from Burbank so it wouldn't be a hassel to drive out there. Aaah I can't decide.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Go! Gogogogogo!! Bear, GO! Even if it's just for the experience. Go, go go go.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BTW: Just because I've got something scheduled for Saturday night doesn't mean folks can't still get together through the week. If you've got an opportunity to plan something out do it and post the info here.

I just wanted something to wrap the weekend up for everyone, but also wouldn't interfere with 'rehearsals' or 'practice sessions.'

MGov

Reaction score
Why would a puppeteer NOT do this?* I mean, I've been a Sesame Street and Muppet fan for as long as I can remember. I've made paper puppets, real puppets, I tried to teach myself ventriloquism.

But I've also done a lot of acting, writing and directing. I never planned on puppeteering being a career. But the chance, any chance, to audition for the Muppets comes along and I would hate myself for passing that chance up.

If I get bounced at the pingpong ball stage or because my voices aren't good enough or because I'm left-handed, at least, when the opportunity came along, I was there. And not being good enough for the Muppets certainly isn't going to stop me from using puppets in my work.

I've seen it posted many times here, that it is very difficult to get into a Muppet/Sesame audition. They are going to see a lot of puppeteers in a short period of time and are going to have a great selection to choose from in the future. Which will make it even more difficult to be seen by them in the future. Why not go for it now?

Everyone has to make their own decision. And if someone is being completely honest with themselves and know that, right now, they just aren't good enough, then that's respectable.

But if the only thing that is keeping people from going to this audition is fear of failure or fear of success or even fear that the dream of working with the Muppets will end now, well...

*footnote: other than the obvious reasons like too far away, four broken limbs, dog ate my puppet, etc.

Reaction score
Yes! Yes! yes!

Exactly why I am going to LA! A chance a hope a dream! FUN
and an opportuinity to meet my Peeps :zany:

The lovers the dreamers and me! :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Go! Gogogogogo!! Bear, GO! Even if it's just for the experience. Go, go go go.

Thanks, Mrs. P. I dunno. I am not primarily a pro puppeteer by trade like most of you are. I am an actor. I do like to play around with some of my toy Kermit and Grover puppets sometimes. Thats about all I have done. I think I would do okay. I like to do voices and things and I have watched Muppets my whole life so I pretty much know the Henson technique, but I dunno if I should bother. I think maybe I should just stick to sending my resume and headshot to Sesame Workshop casting for the human cast as I was thinking about instead. It doesn't matter, I just really want to be a part of Sesame Street someday.

Jinx

Reaction score
C'mon, Bear! There's no reason why you can't audition as a puppeteer and a live-action performer! I spend a LOT more time onstage than I do behind a playboard, but puppeteering is just a different form of acting. The way I often describe it when I am teaching a workshop is as a "tanslative" performance. By that I mean, as an an actor you know when to look up, when to look left, when to bring energy up, when to bring it down. Puppetry requires exactly the same results, you just have to translate what is ordinarily in your entire body into your hands. Your wrist becomes your neck, etc. etc., but the acting instincts are identical.

On another note, some of the best times I've had in my life have been going for huge auditions where all I got was a "thank you very much". But the fellowship shared with fellow performers gave me experiences I will never forget. And because of those experiences, I am far, far less intimidated (if at all) in an audition environment. It can only make us grow.

And since you're right in the neighborhood, well, just come on down!