Muppophobia?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I admit I'm afraid of the characters in Dark Crystal - I saw it once and I won't see it again!

I know there's a muppet I'm forgetting (probably one of the monsters) but generally I'm more nervous about "dummy" puppets. Oh, and that hand puppet from Mr. Rogers. She is seriously creepy, especially her voice *shudder*

peyjenk

Reaction score
I think he means Lady Elaine.... glad to know I wasn't the only one! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember only two old-school sketches with Frazzle, both of which scared the daylights out of me when I watched them back in the day:

1. Cookie Monster's appearance on "Beat the Time"; Frazzle was attached to the chain that Cookie had brought as one of three rhymes for "rain". The way Frazzle frightened Guy and the audience was contagious, in my opinion.
  2. Little Jerry and the Monotones' song about the way Frazzle expressed his emotions; the lyrics did show him in a more sympathetic light, but the crazy-sounding growl that Frazzle used to communicate anything still bothered me as a kid.
You know, that's clearly what happened with Frazzle in the 1990's, when they revived the character. Instead of being monstery, he was almost child like. Compair with Taz in Tazmania. His mother spoke perfect English, and he went to day care. Personally, I never found that character creepy, since he just always made me laugh. But no wonder they had to change things in the 90's. I actually like him more as a wild child.

But I never quite liked the Fat Blue anything Muppet Spider seen in this skit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xRcPIyiQNjY Especially at the end, where he runs around and everyone's screaming. Of course, I had a huge fear of spiders (especially the rubber ones) when I was a kid. Still don't like toy spiders. Kids that played with them musta been Nihlists or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but that sure don't mean they aren't creepy little guys!

And scary looking. Actually, I'm not even slightly bothered by real Spiders anymore. But those ugly rubber abominations don't even LOOK like real spiders. They look like terrifying mutants. Those things scarred me for life.

Especially hairy legs, like on the side of that aforementioned Fat Blue spider muppet's head.
Now, This one and that other fat blue one that had the Spider body are kinda cute. But the hairy legs and the fact that Little Miss Muffet screamed at the top of her lungs creeped me out.

wemblingalong

Reaction score
Sorry Richard Hunt

The Muppet Musicians of Bremen. I was so scared of. I do respect it though in terms of how groundbreaking it was at the time. I still feel a little creeped when I watch it though.

Glayds the Cow terrified me (yes you can laugh) it was something about those eyes! I was always afraid she was going to show up at my house!

Placido Flamingo scared me. I was totally creeped out one day and my babysitter replied, "It's just a puppet! It's not real!" How saddend I was to hear those words. I was 5 and it was the first time I ever was told that by an adult. Too bad she was wrong! :wink:

peyjenk

Reaction score
Yeah, the bad guys in Muppet Musicians of Bremen were pretty freaky.