1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

My first build - kermit

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Muppetlab, Jan 7, 2013.

1. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Great! I'm so pumped. :fanatic:

2. Muppetlab

Muppetlab Well-Known Member

Ok arms are on.. Check out the flickr link above :)

Still need to pick the seams..

I need your help tho.. Opinions on his eyes..
    To small?
    They are 30mm at the moment.. Im tempted to change them to larger pingpong balls.. Whatcha think??

3. Muppetlab

One thing ive noticed aswell.. Its amazing the difference in his colour depending on the type of light conditions!!

4. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too. Awesome job with your Kermit!

5. Looking fantastic. Kermit was my first build too and I think yours is far superior to my first version. I think the body is perfect.

6. ToodlesTeam

ToodlesTeam Active Member

I'm still blown away by how good Kermit looks for this being your first puppet. That's one fine looking frog you've made! His arms turned out great. As for the eyes, my gut instinct is to say they should be larger....but the eyes really don't look too small in your pictures so I don't really know.

7. Muppetlab

Couple of new photos added playing with his arms..
    Yea ive definatly decided to redo the eyes :)

8. llamallover

llamallover New Member

Wow that looks great! What did you use for the hands?

9. Muppetlab

I used 3 lengths of florists wire. Bent 2 of them in half which rreated the four fingers then the third for the thumb. Glued inside a length of thin craft foam that was folded in half.

Then glued the fleece around that and trimmed the fingers down.. Quite straight forward really and has the desired effect with nice poseable fingers. There is a photo in the set of the skeleton.

10. Muppetlab

Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  11. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

12. Muppetlab

Thanks muppetfan..
    Ooh i like muffins :)

13. He turned out great you must be thrilled. Hope my next Kermit attempt is half as good. Greg

14. Muppetlab

Thanks Greg..
    Your one is pretty awesome aswell :)

There are a few changes im gonna make for my next one, would be cool to bounce ideas off eachother

15. Hey Muppetlab, sounds like a good plan. I'm hoping my next (final) version will be made from Antron fleece. I'm waiting for my supplier to get some more white fleece in stock then I'll start experimenting with the colors. I was quite happy with my last attempt, and in pics quite closely resembles the older henson looking puppet which is what I was aiming for, but there are definite tweaks I want to make to get him more accurate in the face, eyes, and mouth expressions. I haven't yet found the right mouthplate combination for kermit, they are either too flexible and don't hold the shape properly, or not flexible enough so you can't do his funny expressions.

would love to hear more about how you put the head together and how flexible your kermit is for expressions.

Greg

16. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

He is GORGEOUS. What an excellent job! Very impressed! :excited:

17. Muppetlab

Sweet news about the antron!.. What colour dye mix are you going for?

I experimented with several materials for the mouthplate and eventually used two sheets of thin craft foam glued together. It is strong enough to hold its shape and flexible enough to manipulate the mouth into a number of expressions. However it is still quite still and not as glexible as id have hoped once it is al put together!

I have since found a nice ascetate plastic (used by locksmiths to slip locks) that is very strong and very flexible... This is what i will use for my next build.

Im only redoing the head and collar on my next frog as im happy with the rest..

I might even do a video showing the construction..

Hope that helps:)

18. Muppetlab

Just checked.. The new mouthplate material is called "super mica" and comes in a6 sized sheets :)

19. Muppetlab

Short camera test (before the arms were added)

20. Muppetlab

Ok so there seems to be an abundance of kermit threads at the moment so i thought id just update this thread rather than start a new one.
    Yes.. Im working on version 3! Mainly to inprove my skills..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its getting there :)