My friend's scandel, "Elmo not a girl?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
A-speaking of Garfield. Someone posted this somewhere else.

This is the Garfield cartoon up a tree.

Now, about 5 Minutes in, Jon starts talking about the cute things Nermal did all day long. And Jon keeps refering to Nermal as "he"

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I never thought of Nermal as being male cos I used to read to comic strips before I saw the cartoon. I still don't understand why they used a woman doing a very high voice for him.

Tweety was always a mystery tho but that may have been down to the limited vocal talents of Mel Blanc and the fact the Tweety's voice was just a sped up version of Bugs with a speech impediment. He was only supposed to be three and a half years old anyway.

Also, don't forget, Kermit was having his own gender issues back in the 60s. Remember his blonde wig and miming to Rosemary Clooney's "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face"?

peyjenk

Reaction score
I think Nermal works better as a girl, just because that voice was so perfect and has been instilled in my brain since childhood.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I aways read Nermal as a boy in my head...but I've never seen the comics, so I guess that makes sense to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Nermal works better as a girl, just because that voice was so perfect and has been instilled in my brain since childhood.
Well, Nermal was introduced as a "he" in his second strip appearance. http://garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1979-ga790904
I really think they should have gone with another VA for Nermal. Someone like Russi Taylor or Nancy Cartwright who have histories of doing voices of little boys, which have a more masculine quality to them.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I aways read Nermal as a boy in my head...but I've never seen the comics, so I guess that makes sense to me.
*mouth hangs open in shock and amazement* You've never..... seen...... Garfield? *falls out of her chair*

muppet maniac

Reaction score
For a long time I thought that Big Bird was, well, a chick.

You know what? So did I! :stick_out_tongue: