My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Some projects I feel weakened the Muppet Show brand was the Muppet Show character kid vids produced under Jim Henson and the Muppet Babies program. They kept up the Muppet name, but diminished some of the appeal to mature audiences. When I say the word "Muppet" to much of the mid-twenties and under crowd they all too often sing a rif from Muppet Babies instead of the Muppet Show.
That may be true, but at the same time, Muppet Babies was many kids (including myself) jumping off point for the Muppets. Watching Muppet Babies and The Muppet Show on Nickelodeon was a very memorable part of my childhood. Though I would probably still be a Muppet fan, I still don't know. And just for the record, I am a fan of all things Muppets. Though I grew up on Muppet Babies and still like it, The Muppet Show and the movies are what really keep my interest.

Something that bothers me is that after the Muppet babies, other cartoons about kiddified versions of well known TV personalities popped up like unwelcome weeds. I watched all of these as a kid. None of them had the charm Muppet Babies had.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I remember those Muppet kid videos and I never saw them as too childish or lacking in Muppet feel. And I don't think Muppet Babies deserve all the flack it gets, it was a witty and innovative show that broke many boundaries. Perhaps some people think the Muppets are just for kids, but that is their problem, they are wrong. I'm not going to put the blame on what I think were great projects. But like I said we all have our own opinions. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I remember those Muppet kid videos and I never saw them as too childish or lacking in Muppet feel. And I don't think Muppet Babies deserve all the flack it gets, it was a witty and innovative show that broke many boundaries. Perhaps some people think the Muppets are just for kids, but that is their problem, they are wrong. I'm not going to put the blame on what I think were great projects. But like I said we all have our own opinions. :smile:
It's a branding problem. The Muppets brand was "kiddified" before Jim Henson died and has had a hard time getting out of that slump. The Babies and the Muppet Show character kid-vids might be okay in some opinions, but they weakened much of the edge and perception of the Muppet Show characters.

One simply cannot blame the audience for such perception as it only serves to perpetuate the problem. There wasn't enough mature or general audience themed Muppet Show character programming to counter the more juvenile-geared projects. It's easy to talk about in retrospect.

I don't think the kid-vids should have been made with the Muppet Show lot of characters. Some find them well produced, other fans do not, but that's not really the point I'm making. Why utilize the characters for only the kid market when Sesame already does that very well? That's the very thing that set the Muppet Show apart.

I have my issues with the Muppet Babies cartoon, but it was not a mistake to make the project. It was very popular, highly regarded and a good source of revenue for the Henson Company. However, it was the only running Muppet project when there should have been something else to balance it.

To blame Disney for misunderstanding or misusing the Muppet brand is premature. The Henson Company didn't do the best job in solidifying it when they had ownership. I still think Disney should be given a chance.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's a branding problem. The Muppets brand was "kiddified" before Jim Henson died and has had a hard time getting out of that slump. The Babies and the Muppet Show character kid-vids might be okay in some opinions, but they weakened much of the edge and perception of the Muppet Show characters.
I'm not even sure I'd give the kid-vids much of the credit or blame either way. While I personally enjoyed them, I don't recall them becoming particularly popular or easy to find.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm not happy about Disney's foot-dragging, but they do seem to be keeping the characters in the public eye and are now seriously distributing the Muppet Show DVDs now that they have a new team on them. Something was streamlined in that process. I'd like more stuff on them, but seriously, just the complete episodes is all that I need. Season one, even with its cool extras, didn't provide edit-free shows. Disney's providing the fans with these shows an understanding and caring above and beyond the crummier "Best of" singles released before the Mouse ownership.

I just want this writers strike to end so that we can see what new actual project(s) are in store!

Drtooth

Reaction score
That may be true, but at the same time, Muppet Babies was many kids (including myself) jumping off point for the Muppets. Watching Muppet Babies and The Muppet Show on Nickelodeon was a very memorable part of my childhood. Though I would probably still be a Muppet fan, I still don't know. And just for the record, I am a fan of all things Muppets. Though I grew up on Muppet Babies and still like it, The Muppet Show and the movies are what really keep my interest.
You know, I have to say I was fortunate to live in an area that reran the Muppet Show early on Saturdays (before the network programming) before the Muppet babies. So, other than the fact Fraggles were on Cable and I could only see the animated version, I got exposed to the major projects of the day.

I don't think the kid-vids should have been made with the Muppet Show lot of characters. Some find them well produced, other fans do not, but that's not really the point I'm making. Why utilize the characters for only the kid market when Sesame already does that very well? That's the very thing that set the Muppet Show apart.

I have my issues with the Muppet Babies cartoon, but it was not a mistake to make the project. It was very popular, highly regarded and a good source of revenue for the Henson Company. However, it was the only running Muppet project when there should have been something else to balance it.
As for the kid vids, I have to admit, they just don't have that much appeal unless you're really young. I was no more than 8 when I saw "Hey! You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear" and was just disappointed in every aspect. Especially the fact that Fozzie was only in 5 minutes of a half hour project. However, I reccomend seeing "Hey! You're a Cartoonist" (Working title, "Hey! Draw our copyrighted characters just like us!"), mainly for the appearance of Picklepuss and Pops. Not only was this the first outside SS project featuring Carol Spinney, these were actually his original characters. And he even drew in the large Puppet suits (he was able to see out of a small slit in between Pop's Head and neck, BTW). But other than that, I wondered about that myself.

As for Muppet Babies, I have to say, I miss that kind of preschool show. They actually treated the kids as an audience, and not a consumer group shouting back obvious answers at the tv. It was a major cartoon series in the 1980's, and the source of many insignificant copies over the years, ranging from Baby Popeye to Baby Felix (A horrible little cartoon that comes from Japan, and is more a knockoff of Doraemon than MB). Not to mention numerous awards and revenue. Fraggle Rock animated was kinda a mistake, and I wish NBC would have just reran some of the HBO episodes instead.

That said, I feel that Jim wanted to psuh Muppet show characters to kids, while coming up with more fantasy and artistic style programs before he passed on. Which is why you saw a lot of projects like Greek Myths, the Storyteller, Jim Henson Hour, etc... I just get that feeling. I still think that Kermit should have been the only Muppet on those kid vids, though.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I heard that any Disney® staff found using the word 'Muppet' were fined $150,000 per usage!

Reevz1977

Reaction score
...However, my source is not always accurate! He also claims that Steve Guttenburg is going to take over the role of Indiana Jones after the next movie, the Olsen twins were behind the assassination of 2Pac and Will Smith is being lined up to play the role of John Candy in a biopic of the late great actors life, so...

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Will Smith is being lined up to play the role of John Candy in a biopic of the late great actors life, so...
Ugh I'd kill myself I can't stand will smith John Candy was amazing and that would be such a nightmare lol I'm so glad your kidding.:big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As for the kid vids, I have to admit, they just don't have that much appeal unless you're really young. I was no more than 8 when I saw "Hey! You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear" and was just disappointed in every aspect. Especially the fact that Fozzie was only in 5 minutes of a half hour project.
See, I saw that video back in the day and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the most amazing thing they ever did, and it was made for kids, but it wasn't dreadful. I just don't always judge a project based on how long the characters are on the screen, so long as their appearances are memorable. :smile: