1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Ned's illness...

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Redsonga, Jun 22, 2008.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Actually, didn't Doc & Sprocket move to the desert in Arizona? Not all of Arizona is a desert, though.
  2. Yva Minstrel

Yva Minstrel New Member

They didn't really say where specifically they moved to. Doc just told Gobo that they were moving to a place called the desert, which sort of implies Arizona, but keeps things rather non-geographcial. He didn't say Arizona specifically, but that's sort of the impression that the viewers get about the new residence. When I hear desert, then I do immediately think of Arizona. But, it could also be New Mexico, or even parts of California.

I remember the week I spent in Tucson, and by the time we flew out, I was having trouble breathing and my asthma is rather mild. Arizona, on the whole, is known for having issues of asthma as a health factor. One of my friends lives there, and is an Asthma sufferer. She always makes comments about her lungs feeling like cotton.

Speaking for myself, I always breathe easier when I'm around the moist sea air as opposed to being in dry climates like Arizona. Of course, in the last episode, Doc did say something about the mountains in the distance, so maybe Ned was there so that he could get to them. Hard call, but still that whole bit about the desert and Ned's asthma is simply quite puzzling to me.
  3. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

From what I understand, AZ USED to be a great place to go for asthma. However, with the population boom, pollution became a problem so it negated the benefits. It's like paving Paradise.
  4. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And this could be why Doc & Sprocket and Ned & Fluffanella went there.
  5. Yva Minstrel

Yva Minstrel New Member

You're right, but from what my friend in Tucson said, it wasn't just the pollution that caused the outgrowth of astma cases there. I am wont to say that there were probably factors involved like that. I could not move back to Houston because of the pollution issue. The last time I was there, October 2000, the air was so bad that I had a sore and scratchy throat the whole time I was there and had trouble breathing, so I can believe that pollution does, in fact, factor in.

My friend who lives in Arizona actually said that there were certain plants that had been planted there during the past 15 or so years (probably after the last episode of 'Fraggle Rock' was filmed). At any rate, since these plants were not good for the climate and area, that it became horrid for asthma sufferers.

Thanks RedPiggy, now things seem a bit clearer to me on that front. I guess 'Fraggle Rock' really is timeless, I've almost forgotten that it was made around 20 years ago.

Geez, I guess that means, I'm getting old! :coy:
  6. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Many of us 20 somethings that grew up on the show are now being considered old by the new generation & seeing as your generation is before ours, that would make you twice as old in the eyes of modern audiences. XD
  7. Yva Minstrel

Yva Minstrel New Member

Oh geeee, tanks a lot! :p I was 12 when it came on, and I missed the last two seasons because I lost cable television, but still I always loved it.

IMO Fraggle Rock is like a fine wine, each time I watch it, the show just gets better and better.

So in the immortal words of Philo and Gunge, 'Nyeh!' :smirk:

The fact that I was like 8 or 9 when the Muppet Sow was on somehow makes me feel about as ancient as the Cavern of Lost Dreams.
  8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Now, now. No need to be offended. I never meant to offend.

I agree whole-heartedly.
  9. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, there are different types of asthma caused by different things..it could be the Ned also had other illnesses on top of it that were made worst by the cold and was not totally honest with his friend about how bad it could get, but when he finally did tell him all the gory details Doc would not hear of him going some place all alone with his troubles not knowing anyone...
    So the asthma could have just been a sign of something worst that meant he needed hot weather. Most of my family is 60+ years old, and all my aunts were nurses so I know a few things like that... :(
  10. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

But blistering, scalding hot weather?
  11. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, old fashion doctors are a little of the all or nothing kind so maybe so..or maybe that was Ned's childhood home to so it was the one he picked..everyone likes to go back home after all...
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

There's no place like home. *clicks heels in fellow stateperson fashion*
  13. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I'm interested to know what happened in the finale of the British series. Because by then we'd replaced the original Captain with a younger guy, who would certainly not go west to look after a friend...would he? I also wonder, did the British guy meet the fraggles at the end?

Beau
  14. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I'd like to know that too, considering that all I got was the original Canadian/American series.
  15. Yva Minstrel

Yva Minstrel New Member

I don't know the answer to that Beau, but I will look into the British releases when we fly to London in November. Till then, I guess all we can do is assume.

Because the German version is parallel to the N. American version, I would guess that they left in the same manner as the Doc character we know. The sad thing about the Fraggle Rock episodes in Germany was that ZDF (the television station) had a fire some years back (according to what I was able to find out), and many of the master copies of the show were destoyed. So, I was surprised that the show was even released here and that we were able to the show in German at all.

I hope that they will be able to get us through to the final episode. My husband has never seen the show before I got him into it, so it's a hard call.

But, as for the British version, I'll let you know what I find after I get back.
  16. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

From what has been put forth, only the original show (Canadian/American/Australian) and the UK show lasted through to the finale.
  17. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Hmm...Looks, according to Muppet Wiki, that the UK series stopped on the Honk of Honks...
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Odd. I was sure it went all the way until the end.
  19. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Well, that's still an effective ending, since all worlds united.
  20. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Point taken.