Ned's illness...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The thing that strikes me as odd, if Ned had astma and left the damp climate, then why did they move to the desert? I mean; according to my doctor, who has been treating my asthma for the last 10 years, the desert is probably the worst place in the world for astma sufferers to pack up and move to. If Ned was to move to Banff (in Alberta Canada) then that would be fine, but moving to the desert just strikes me as odd.
Actually, didn't Doc & Sprocket move to the desert in Arizona? Not all of Arizona is a desert, though.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Actually, didn't Doc & Sprocket move to the desert in Arizona? Not all of Arizona is a desert, though.
They didn't really say where specifically they moved to. Doc just told Gobo that they were moving to a place called the desert, which sort of implies Arizona, but keeps things rather non-geographcial. He didn't say Arizona specifically, but that's sort of the impression that the viewers get about the new residence. When I hear desert, then I do immediately think of Arizona. But, it could also be New Mexico, or even parts of California.

I remember the week I spent in Tucson, and by the time we flew out, I was having trouble breathing and my asthma is rather mild. Arizona, on the whole, is known for having issues of asthma as a health factor. One of my friends lives there, and is an Asthma sufferer. She always makes comments about her lungs feeling like cotton.

Speaking for myself, I always breathe easier when I'm around the moist sea air as opposed to being in dry climates like Arizona. Of course, in the last episode, Doc did say something about the mountains in the distance, so maybe Ned was there so that he could get to them. Hard call, but still that whole bit about the desert and Ned's asthma is simply quite puzzling to me.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
From what I understand, AZ USED to be a great place to go for asthma. However, with the population boom, pollution became a problem so it negated the benefits. It's like paving Paradise.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
From what I understand, AZ USED to be a great place to go for asthma. However, with the population boom, pollution became a problem so it negated the benefits. It's like paving Paradise.
You're right, but from what my friend in Tucson said, it wasn't just the pollution that caused the outgrowth of astma cases there. I am wont to say that there were probably factors involved like that. I could not move back to Houston because of the pollution issue. The last time I was there, October 2000, the air was so bad that I had a sore and scratchy throat the whole time I was there and had trouble breathing, so I can believe that pollution does, in fact, factor in.

My friend who lives in Arizona actually said that there were certain plants that had been planted there during the past 15 or so years (probably after the last episode of 'Fraggle Rock' was filmed). At any rate, since these plants were not good for the climate and area, that it became horrid for asthma sufferers.

Thanks RedPiggy, now things seem a bit clearer to me on that front. I guess 'Fraggle Rock' really is timeless, I've almost forgotten that it was made around 20 years ago.

Geez, I guess that means, I'm getting old! :coy:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I've almost forgotten that it was made around 20 years ago.

Geez, I guess that means, I'm getting old! :coy:
Many of us 20 somethings that grew up on the show are now being considered old by the new generation & seeing as your generation is before ours, that would make you twice as old in the eyes of modern audiences. XD

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Many of us 20 somethings that grew up on the show are now being considered old by the new generation & seeing as your generation is before ours, that would make you twice as old in the eyes of modern audiences. XD
Oh geeee, tanks a lot! :stick_out_tongue: I was 12 when it came on, and I missed the last two seasons because I lost cable television, but still I always loved it.

IMO Fraggle Rock is like a fine wine, each time I watch it, the show just gets better and better.

So in the immortal words of Philo and Gunge, 'Nyeh!' :smirk:

The fact that I was like 8 or 9 when the Muppet Sow was on somehow makes me feel about as ancient as the Cavern of Lost Dreams.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, there are different types of asthma caused by different things..it could be the Ned also had other illnesses on top of it that were made worst by the cold and was not totally honest with his friend about how bad it could get, but when he finally did tell him all the gory details Doc would not hear of him going some place all alone with his troubles not knowing anyone...
So the asthma could have just been a sign of something worst that meant he needed hot weather. Most of my family is 60+ years old, and all my aunts were nurses so I know a few things like that... :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
So the asthma could have just been a sign of something worst that meant he needed hot weather
But blistering, scalding hot weather?