1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Meet Julia
    Sesame Street's newest Muppet has autism. Meet Julia this Monday on HBO and PBS. Then discuss the anticipated episode with fans.

3. Sesame Street Season 47
    Sesame Street's 47th season officially began Saturday January 7 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Feature: Change Username

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Phillip, May 28, 2016.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

One of the most requested updates we receive is for members to have the ability to change usernames. Maybe you'd like to make a capitalization change or go with something entirely different. Up until now this has been a manual process that required numerous steps for the staff to implement. Now if you go to your User Control Panel, you'll see a new option to "Change Username".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is some more general info on how this will work:
    • A new "Username History" tab will be present on members profiles. A history of old usernames will be displayed in your profile. This history will be publicly accessible by anyone.
    • A user can't use a username that was used before unless that username was used by the same user.
    • Once a username update is made, the forum staff is immediately notified so that we are aware of the change.
    Here are some of the current restrictions that are in place. These are subject to change if needed:

1. Maximum Number of Username Changes - Limit to 3
    2. Minimum Number of Days Between Changes - 30 days
    3. Minimum Days Registered Required - 0 days
    4. Minimum Posts Required - 0 posts

Please consider this change carefully. Your public username and avatar is how most people recognize you, so changing this will have a big impact on your account. It is generally best to keep the same name for a long period of time unless you have a really good reason to make a change.

Let us know what you think of this new feature and if you find it helpful.

2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

How does this affect logging in?

I know you can use your email address but you can also use your username. Would you log in with your old username or new username?

Kinda disappointed you can only change it 3 times but I understand why.

3. Phillip

You'll log-in with your new username.

4. WhoseLineFan

WhoseLineFan Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for including this new feature!

Phillip likes this.
  5. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Sounds neat!! I like mine though, so I'm not changing.

6. Sgt Floyd

Apparently 'Sarge' is taken by a banned account or something since it won't let me change to that even though no user seems to exist with that name.

WELP. Time to think of something else. :sigh:

7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

How about 'Lieutenant.

8. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

What about...SargeProtector? :o or Sargent.

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Ooh I like that one.

10. Sgt Floyd

PFFFF

I LIKE THAT

the irony is that I was considering 'Surge' because its close to 'Sarge' XD

Colbynfriends likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've often considered changing my name to "Snowthy" since more people here call me that than anything, or perhaps "JScarbrough," or something like that but, I've been "D'Snowth" for so long, and considering it's what everybody here knows and recognizes me as, I think I might as well just stick with it.

Ironically, IIRC, I don't believe "D'Snowth" was even my original handle here when I first joined.

12. Sgt Floyd

Honestly its mostly the Sgt that annoys me, since at the time I made it I didnt know how to spell 'Sergeant' and it never occurred to me to look it up.

That and Floyd is very very rarely ever referred to as 'Sergeant' anyway

13. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I believe it was Courage-Bagge.

14. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

This is a rad new feature.

Considering changing my name on here as sonicruler100 was something I used years ago, might change to the name I use on everything now.

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  15. WhoseLineFan

WhoseLineFan Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

16. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I don't want to be negative, BUT, I don't see good things with this feature.

We wont know who is who and it is a spammer's delight. If members want change, why not just change their avatar. In real life, we are born with a name, and most see it through their life time.

17. Sgt Floyd

Well, you can only change it three times, and there's a 30 day wait period before you can change it again. And you can go to a person's profile to see their past usernames. It would be pretty impossible for this feature to be abused.

However, I could be biased as I am one of those people on skype that you hate because they change their name every single day :p

18. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

So, just making sure I have this right, you can only change your username three times, no matter if there's been a long time between changes?

19. Phillip

Thanks for expressing your concern. We share it. We've tried to find a good balance so that people who legitimately need to change their username have an easy way to do so without abusing the privilege. In the past two days, we've had only six name changes out of thousands so the system appears to be working so far.

Sometimes people sign up for an account with their Facebook profile not realizing that their full real name may be visible. Sometimes folks want to make a capitalization change or add a space in between two words in their name. Sometimes it's a complete change. These requests are not the majority, but they do come from a significant number of people.

As I said in the first post, we'll continue to tweak the restrictions as needed moving forward in case abuse occurs. Thankfully so far this has not been an issue.

WhoseLineFan likes this.
  20. Phillip

Correct, you've got it. We've tried to find a nice balance so that users could change their name a few times if desired. Ideally you find a username you like and stick with it long-term.

WhoseLineFan and 1000 Eyes like this.