New movies coming out...

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
This is really funny, but I think the first R-rated movie I saw in the theater was in my senior year of high school, seeing "Shakespeare in Love" with my English teacher!! :crazy: We had been working on the school magazine and she asked me and the other two editors if we'd like to see it with her. The other two declined, but I figured, "Hey, why not?" There were a couple scenes that kinda embarrassed her, I guess, sitting next to one of her students, but they went right over my head at the time so I didn't care. :stick_out_tongue:

Gee, now that I think about it, that may have been the *only* R-rated movie I ever saw in the theater. I don't get to the theater much, and there aren't too many R-rated movies out there I really care to see. Those that I do, I'd usually prefer to have a pillow and an exit readily available. (I spent half of "Braveheart" in the kitchen and had to escape to the porch a couple times during "The Green Mile." :eek: )
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
my first R rated movie was the Patriot, but that wasn't a bad movie, just gory...and I have nothing wrong with gory!

but on the other one........was Revenge of The Nerds......mother didn't know that the TV edited version was soooo much nicer

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The first R rated movie that I actually watched straight through was Blues Brothers, and it was only a few months ago.

The swearing doesn't bother me, really. I try not to swear too often (hehehe), but it's just one of those things that's never been shocking for me to hear in film or television. Now, I didn't realize people swore in real life until I was 8 or 9. hehe.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
You know, I absolutely could not believe it when I found out Blues Brothers was rated R. I don't know how old I was when I first saw that; certainly no older than middle school, and probably before that. The thing is, as many times as I've seen it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the actual unedited video. I think I may have always just watched it on tv, usually TBS, which is famous for its extensive editing. Still, I can't imagine there was enough in that movie to warrant an R rating. Same with The Jerk. Both hilarious movies...
Erin

jediX

Reaction score
Was the second Blues Bros. rated R? I havn't seen that one in ages and can't recall...

My first R movie was when I rented Terminator 2 back in 6th grade.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
You know, I absolutely could not believe it when I found out Blues Brothers was rated R. I don't know how old I was when I first saw that; certainly no older than middle school, and probably before that. The thing is, as many times as I've seen it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the actual unedited video. I think I may have always just watched it on tv, usually TBS, which is famous for its extensive editing. Still, I can't imagine there was enough in that movie to warrant an R rating. Same with The Jerk. Both hilarious movies...
Erin
They use the F word occasionally... I've seen worse PG-13 movies, though...

I think it's the scene where you first see the Nazis that earned it the R rating. Plus, back when it was made, there was no PG-13 rating, and it obviously couldn't get the PG. they just had to go for the higher of the two.

You realize the second Indiana Jones movie was the reason they came up with the PG-13 rating?

Oh, and btw, Matt, Blues Brothers 2000 has a PG-13.

And I want to see The Jerk too.

"I was born a poor black child."

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Hm, I think I was pretty young when I saw Terminator 2. Major nightmares. On TV, of course, so it could have been worse; I'm big on seeing tamer versions of these less-than-innocent movies! :stick_out_tongue: I think Blues Brothers 2 was PG-13; I never saw it tho.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
They use the F word occasionally... I've seen worse PG-13 movies, though...

I think it's the scene where you first see the Nazis that earned it the R rating. Plus, back when it was made, there was no PG-13 rating, and it obviously couldn't get the PG. they just had to go for the higher of the two.

You realize the second Indiana Jones movie was the reason they came up with the PG-13 rating?

Oh, and btw, Matt, Blues Brothers 2000 has a PG-13.

And I want to see The Jerk too.

"I was born a poor black child."
Hehe, we posted at the same time. I didn't know that stuff about the ratings. I didn't realize the PG-13 was so recent or that it was made for Indiana Jones. Interesting! Temple of Doom is another one of my major nightmare movies. That scene with the heart... quadruple ick! The Jerk is a terrific movie, by the way. I highly recommend it. As for the F words in The Blues Brothers, those were the first casualty of TBS, and I didn't miss them. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, it was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and (I think) Gremlins that were behind the PG-13 rating. From what I've heard, it was actually Steven Spielberg who originally suggested the category to the MPAA.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
The swearing doesn't bother me, really. I try not to swear too often (hehehe), but it's just one of those things that's never been shocking for me to hear in film or television. Now, I didn't realize people swore in real life until I was 8 or 9. hehe.
I feel the same way. Cursing in movies isn't thast big of a deal, but I prefer to not cuss much myself. I remember in elementary school how it was a big thing if you saw a curse word in the bathroom of the school.

Anyways, my parents never let me watch R movies when I was under 17. But now I have a healthy collection of all different movies from Muppet Christmas Carol to Final Destination 1 & 2 to Barbershop to Ernest to Matrix. I have a little bit of everything.