New movies coming out...

Beebers

Reaction score
The Oscar people *suits puffing up* feel that a certain measure of gravitas must be maintained at all times by the Academy and that real recognition of comedy would compromise that.
The Emmy people take the same view regarding genre t.v.
I think it's ridiculous and unfair but there it is.
Any performer will tell you that comedy is 1,000 times harder to deliver than drama.
It's tougher to write it well, (we do have too much lame, lazy "comedy" out there) tougher to perform and tougher to film.
I'd love to see Murray win and I think this year he'd be one of the few comedic turns ever to be so recognized but for Sean Penn in the mix. I think Penn will win, not because comedy is overlooked but because Penn's performance in Mystic River is talent of some other plane, it's otherworldly how good he is. Penn is not liked out in the world nor in Hollywood but he is one of our finest working actors today.
Audiences increasingly appreciate the Golden Globes because they have their categories set up in such a way that no one worthy is ignored or overlooked.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Seriously--why is dramatic acting more award-worthy than comedic acting? And why is "genre" television less award-worthy than other programs at the Emmy awards? Why did it take seven years for Star Trek TNG to pick up a best series nomination? And why hasn't Bill Murray been nominated for an Oscar before? Darn shame...
i think i heard somewhere that bill was almost nominated for best actor in ghostbusters.

but he was nominated for best actor in ghostbusters for the golden globes but lost.

ryan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
True--Ghostbusters remains one of my favorite Bill Murray performances. His delivery in this movie is comic perfection--shame he wasn't nominated.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
saw miracle and 50 first dates a few days ago. both good movies. 50 first dates preview looks real cheesy and i wasn't expecting much, but the movie turned out to be a very good movie. probably one of sandlers best.

miracle was also good. kurt russel did a great job as the heah coach who had little humor what so ever.

ryan

Beebers

Reaction score
I was watching that game, as it happened, the entire Olympics actually that year; you can't know the tension, hope and excitement of those weeks. I'm so glad they made this very good film. The coach, Herb Brooks, collaborated on it and then was killed in a car wreck during post-production not long ago sadly.

In regular life he was a lovely man, and full of integrity.

:cry:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
anybody interested in seeing welcome to mooseport?

i'll get around to seeing it one of these days, within the next few weeks, but not when it comes out tomorrow.

ryan

Beauregard

Reaction score
I saw some pictures of Passion of Christ on IMDB. Jesus looks complealty brillint. Just one picture of him I saw, and I'm like WOW.

IMHO, that is Jesus to a T.

Beebers

Reaction score
I know, it's a brilliant and brave film, a heartbreaker. Everyone everywhere is just within themselves for long periods of time when they come out of the theater from the early screenings.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
I understand the point Gibson is trying to make with this film, but I can't see spending two plus hours of my precious weekend and $10.50 to see a guy beaten. It just doesn't work for me. Of course, I couldn't stomach Schindler's List or The Pianist either.

Jennifer