New movies coming out...

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Eeesh....I don't particularly like horror flicks....All the gore & grisly stuff doesn't sit well w/me....OR my stomach. Plus, they ALWAYS give me nightmares!
...I was SOO dissapointed they killed off Harry Connick in ID4.....In, like, the beginning of the movie no less! I'm not sure if I'll see the sequal, just b/c I have little trust in sequels......(Think Speed 2.)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
They've held off doing ID2 for so long for the same reasons they claimed that MIBII wouldn't happen for so long - there are so many big-name Hollywood people in it that the "backend" of the deal (profits shared between the director, producers, stars, etc.) means that even if the film did $200 million at the box office the studio might not make any actual profit.

Most people don't realize, Warner Bros. claims the original "Batman" movie actually lost money :confused: because Jack N. traded a big pay cheque for a slice of the profits and the deal so was so sweet he made tens of millions out of it.

All this money and they have trouble getting a new Muppet Movie off the ground. That's Hollywood accounting for you.....

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
LoL!

You can come chill with me Kris. :smile: I am not really scared par se, I'm just very selective about the horror flicks I see. I doubt I'll be seeing this one.

-Matt
Haha! Thanks:smile: You do realize though that you will have to tone down the scary parts and tell me what's happening because my eyes will be shut and my ears will be covered. :eek: :big_grin:

And on a side note...being called Kris brings back high school tennis coach memories...:eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... I'm not sure if there is any truth to this rumor (God, I hope not!!!) But Jean Claudde Van Damme is going to reprise his role as Guile (or however its spelt) in a sequal to the 1994 box office poison (worse than a bomb) "Street Fighter"

Yeah... sequal a movie that did bad in the first place... really smart... :rolleyes:

:sleep: :boo:

DirthNader

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
that is why something like ghostbusters 2 wasn't made til 5 years after the 1st one came out because no one wanted to damage a great film that was made.
And GB 2 would have ruined the effect of the first had it come out right after. It just didn't match the humor of the original. It was campy and a little under the top with the story line. Of course that's just my oppinion.

As for Jason v. Freddy.....(or was it Freddy v. Jason? ), I would pay money to see that one. I can't imagine that it will be nearly as scary as it will be funny. Gosh, I didn't think the studios had such a great sense of humor.

Independence Day 2? I think it could work. It was clearly a special effects movie, anyway. Of course, those kind of visuals are pretty much second nature to movie goers today. Perhaps it won't have the same effect as the first. Look at MIB2. It was a pretty good film, for fans of the first, but it wasn't as good as it's predecesor.

Ah well. I think Hollywood has lost it's originality altogether. That's evidenced by the number of reality...excuse me...pseudo-reality shows there are on television today.

Of course, Disney is the king of unoriginality. Don't get me wrong. I like about 75% of what Disney put's out, but they seem to be losing their spark. We're being innoculated with 101, Little Mermaid, Jungle bum bear's in the Big Blue Return to Neverland, Dalmations with a vengence. How many straight to video movies can one production company make? Personally, I look forward to Lilo's Big Adventure, the Day Stitch Died :rolleyes:

I rambled, didn't I? Sorry 'bout that. I tend to do that when I'm woken 3am by a screamin' baby. Good kid, just wish she'd get with the schedule:wink:

Later

wolfy

Reaction score
Unfortunately GB2 went the same way TMNT2 (and later, 3) went. Parents who went to see what their children were watching on Saturday mornings did NOT get that with those first movies...they got the original ideas that were geared toward adults (and rightly so, and OH, were they fun!). Once all those little kiddie-winks were frightened by the ghosts and the TMNTs being "real" and doing what they had been intended for by the originators, the parents screamed bloody murder! The people who work the box offices and count the money in Hollywood got nervous about it, then told the producers and actors that the NEXT movies would be "geared toward the kids, like the Saturday morning shows they watch" so they could garner all that money that parents throw around. Thus, the brain-level of the movies went WAY downhill...

"Straight to video" movies? Most of those I don't even touch. In fact, I am pretty bad about going to Disney movies any more (and I mean the ones that are "Disney" not "Disney-related" like Touchtone or whatever other company they might have). Most of the current "Disney" movies are brain-dead as far as I am concerned.

Since when did crotch-shots, farts and total ineptness become so funny that we should have to pay big money for it, and subject our kids to it on television, as well as in a movie, which, when I was growing up, has the name of a man on it that used to be synonimous {sp!} with "family movies?" I really think poor old Walt is sick from all the spinning he has done in his grave over what the board and the people at Disney have done to his movies and his name...

As for horror movies and if they are as good as they used to be...I don't think there has really been a good horror movie since "Psycho," unless you talk about "The Boston Strangler," but that was based on a real story, and it's not as scary as "Psycho" or "The Birds" or some of the other Hitchcock movies.

Want to know what's scary? When you see a remake of "Night of the Hunter" (a great movie with Robert Mitchum and Shelly Winters in black and white and the use of shadows and light help provide the terror and horror in the show).

The remake of "Night of the Hunter" had (prepare yourself, old movie lovers): Richard Chamberlain.

YES!! Richard Chamberlain, the guy who played the priest on the miniseries "The Thorn Birds" and was named "miniseries king" in the 70s-80s. HE played the part that Robert Mitchum played! Do you know how hard it is to watch someone with a facelift and no expression or even any kind of menacing looks trying to play a part that is supposed to be an evil person who is menacing toward children and a poor widow?? Just doesn't work...

Slash and gash movies aren't my speed, and that's mostly what the "Freddie" and "Jason" and "Mike Myers" movies are about. "Night of the Living Dead" can be a little spooky, but in my books, once you make a good scary movie, don't try and "improve" on it...it doesn't usually work...

Like with "Willard..."
wolfy

And yes...I saw and enjoyed both the original AND "Ben"...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
ok....good points about all of that good stuff you all just mentioned.

moving on.....let's get to some of the summer movies coming out. okay, here's a big one that may or may not deliever anything: terminator 3: rise of the machines
think that hollywood shouldn't have made another terminator movie? think arnold is desperate in making movies that he'll do anything? think this movie should have been released a few years after the 2nd terminator movie?...

as for my answer, i may go see this movie. but i don't know. it's been a very, and i mean very long time since i've seen the terminator movies...so it's a toss up if i go see this movie or not..

ryan

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
moving on.....let's get to some of the summer movies coming out. okay, here's a big one that may or may not deliever anything: terminator 3: rise of the machines
think that hollywood shouldn't have made another terminator movie? think arnold is desperate in making movies that he'll do anything? think this movie should have been released a few years after the 2nd terminator movie?...as for my
Ok, I like both Terminatior movies and I'll probably see the third one. But I think it'd dumb that the bad terminator is a girl and Arnold says "She'll be back". Dumb.:rolleyes:

DirthNader

Reaction score
Originally posted by electricmayhem
Ok, I like both Terminatior movies and I'll probably see the third one. But I think it'd dumb that the bad terminator is a girl and Arnold says "She'll be back". Dumb.:rolleyes:
I agree....dumb. Just the word. If Richard Chamberlain is the king of the mini-series, then Arnold is certainly the king of cheesy-one-liners. Honestly, in every movie he has ever made, there is at least one. Must be in his contract or something.

Wait...............I........yup. I think I just had an idea :crazy:

wolfy

Reaction score
Oh, you wanted strictly summer movies, for 2003?

Okay...let's see what is available and what I might really want to see....

Coming out May 2 - "X2-X-men 2" Okay, I kind of have to admit, I got the hots for that Wolverine fellow (Hugh Jackman became my "mental summer romance" for about 2 days). He is a cutie, and I like the young girl who plays "Rogue," so yeah, I will probably go and see this on the big screen rather than wait for it to come to video, although I will probably buy the DVD as well...

"Daddy Daycare" (too close to reality here, had my kids at "Daddy's Day Care" before, so no), "Wedding Party" (what?) and "Matrix Reloaded" aren't my speed.

"Finding Nemo"...maybe. Again, that Disney thing...do I, or don't I? I can wait for the DVD, really. ALMOST did with "Lilo" but glad I finally saw it on the big screen. Kicked myself for missing "Spirit" on the big screen, though. Gads that must have been beautiful...

"Bruce Almighty" with Jim Carrey. It has possibilities; not nuts about the craze for Jennifer Anniston (who told her she was a great actress, anyway, Brad Pitt; who can't really act either?). This is an "iffy" one, although I do really like Jim and his work...

"Hollywood Homicide"...again, what? Never heard of it...

Now we get into the sequels (besides X2, I mean):

"2 Fast 2 Furious" Never saw the first, don't intend to see this.

"Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle" Demi Moore is needed to boost this movie? No Bill Murray? Bernie Mac is "Bosley's brother from another mother"? Naaaaaw. This is a teen-boy's dream, so let them spend their bucks going to it; this momma is stayin' home...(maybe I'll rent "Chicago...")

"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" and "Exorcist 4: The Beginning" Well, in my book you can't really improve on the first ones, so no, won't see these either...

"Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde" Usually sequels don't work as well as the originals, but Reese Witherspoon is a great little actress and I really enjoyed "Legally Blonde." I'll see what the trailers are like, then I might wait until DVD like with "LB" before I see it. Again, it depends upon my mood and my bank account for that day...

"Bad Boys 2," "Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life: Tomb Raider 2" and "American Pie 3: American Wedding" all send chills up my spine. Again, probably more for teenaged boys and men who enjoy this kind of thing; not my speed...

"When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer 2" Harry and Lloyd as teenagers? Jeff Daniels or Jim Carrey? Jeff Daniels as a high school student? Jim, maybe, but Jeff? I don't know...it has possibilities...maybe...if I feel in the mood for it...I'll have to see...

"The League of Extrodinary Gentlemen" Haven't really heard enough about this one to form an opinion, so can't say "yea" or "nay." Will consider when I start seeing things about it...

"The Hulk." Ummm...watched the TV show. Does that count? Again, this is one of those "watch the trailer later on and see how it looks" kind of thing. When I heard "Spider-man" was coming out, I thought "Oh, no...they can't." Saw the trailer, was intrigued, enjoyed like crazy. Same with "X-men." So, I'll wait and see...

"Gigli" Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez? Are you TRYING to gag me? Only I know it is now coming out under a new name and I don't recall what it is...

"S.W.A.T." and "Masked and Anonymous"...again, movies I have never heard of, and don't know if I wish to see.

"Cursed" Heard this is along the lines of the "Scream" trilogy by Wes Craven, only this time he is dealing with werewolves. You know the kind of movie...scary at first, fun later, makes a great movie for The Wayan Brothers to parody...Will I see it? After a parody, perhaps...only recently seen the "Scream" movies and wasn't impressed...

I'm sure there will be more, like "Pirates of the Caribbean" with the most fey-looking Johnny Depp you can imagine as the pirate captain (shuddering), but those are the ones I found online as currently coming out this summer...
wolfy