1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by gfarkwort, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. heh heh. Thats cute.
  3. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

She's not as proud as she used to be: I remember her best as the no-nonsense director who used pageants to teach about a wide range of subjects (and got lots of other Muppets involved in the lesson, too).

Unfortunately, Prairie Dawn's dramatic talent went to waste after Sesame Street changed format. Nowadays the writers limit her to (1) interviewing characters from children's stories, or (2) vainly trying to protect the letter of the day from Cookie Monster's appetite. If Prairie were a flesh-and-blood child actor I bet she'd threaten to quit after so much typecasting... :concern:
  4. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

My sentiments exactly! Elmo's OK if he's treated like other major cast members, but not like the center of Sesame Street's universe. When the show was new, Sesame Street kept a balanced attitude towards popular characters: none of the major cast members (Muppet or human) became "THE star" five days a week. Treating Abby Cadabby like "THE star" is a big mistake, whether she bombs or becomes the next Elmo.
  5. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

If you look at the Press Kit that someone has posted up there a link you would see that Prairie has a new episode. She is doing a padeants. Its about eatting healthy. Can't wait to see it. As well as the old Fix it Shop too. I'm also hoping that when she meets all the people on Sesame Street. That they have Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Grover and Prairie too. I don't want to see just Big Bird, Snuffy, Oscar, Elmo, Rostia and Zoe. I want the older Muppets there too.
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I remember those. She still does that from time to time.
  7. SJohnson

SJohnson Member

8. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again...Instead of jumping to conclusions and already making critical judgements about the new season and new characters, why don't we just wait and see it first? I, personally think that Abby sounds like an interesting addition to the cast and some of the episode descriptions seem pretty interesting and new. Let's wait and see Abby before we make snap critical judgements about her. I mean, it could be ANY new character and some of you all will be labeling them as the new "Elmo".

Disclaimer: I like Elmo.
  9. emberfire

emberfire New Member

good point :D
  10. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

I met her performer, Leslie yesterday.
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You did! What Happened?

Thanks SJohnson, Aw, she sound just adorable!:)
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I think this is just about the first time any new character being introduced to Sesame Street got so much publicity. They must REALLY want Abby to work out.
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That's whatthought to. I guess they do.
  14. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

I just checked out her site I see she has a wide range of characters besides Abby Cadabby.
  15. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yes... Leslie Karrara's most probably best-known Muppet character so far is Spamela Hamderson from Muppets Tonight. She was also one of the two main voice actresses for this radio show about time-traveling historical misadventures, forget the show's name.
    But I'm looking forward to hearing/witnessing her perform Abby Cadaby and Iris in Season 37, along with all the other new characters and episodes starting tomorrow.
  16. Ventrilotwist

Ventrilotwist New Member

I have to find some way to record it tomorrow. I hate messing with VCRs but I don't know how else to do it. Will someone record it for me?!
  17. RobintheBrave

RobintheBrave New Member

Is it my imagination or has the creation of new Muppet characters become much more political and economically-driven than it used to be? It seems in earlier times, the writers and creators of Sesame Street just created whatever characters struck their fancy. I mean, I can't imagine they brought in a bunch of kids to see how they liked Guy Smiley's look or debate how Guy could bring in merchandise sales.

I understand that the children's television market is way, way more competitive than when Sesame Street first started. Still, this article saddens me since it makes it sound like the current creators of the show have had to lose some spontaneity and make marketability more important than artistry.

Robin the Brave
  18. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Sorry, but I think I may have to disagree with you here.
  19. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

20. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

I listened to the NPR segment just now. . . . It seems to me the voice didn't stay the same through the whole interview. At times it sounded a bit like Lily Tomlin's little-girl character (I can't think of the name--the one who always said "And that's the truth! THBBBPT!") and then thirty seconds later the voice would be different. Sometimes high, sometimes deep. Maybe it was just an off day for her, or maybe she's still working out just how Abby will sound. Either way, the voice isn't nearly as "cutesy-wutesy" annoying as many shows would make it. So Ms. Carrara-Rudolph has my thanks for that.

I'm all in favor of more high-profile female characters, but I'm skeptical any time somebody tries to design one specifically to be a star. It's tough to manufacture stardom (flash-in-the-pan boy bands notwithstanding--they go as quickly as they come). We'll see. I'll have to watch tomorrow's episode.

And I wish they'd give Prairie Dawn more screen time, stories, and, yes, merchandise. But >SIGH< Sesame Street has devolved into a younger kids' show, so poor Prairie's too old for their current target audience. . . .