1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Despite how they're being handled as of late, I can't really imagine the Muppets in the hands of any other media company other than Disney right now.

2. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

All the more reason why they need to have understudy performers for Disney’s Muppets. I now see this as being why they wanted to multi-cast the characters back in the mid-2000s as an attempt to get them in the public eye more...and why a certain ex-Muppeteer should’ve trained understudies rather than blacklist less-experienced performers.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, no.

Aside from some special cases, Disney doesn't do that the Mickey Mouse crew. Nor should they with the Muppets.

4. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Even with that, there’s other puppeteers that don’t have any obligations with Sesame like Bill B. and Dave G.

5. Duke Remington

I see what you mean and agree, but what I really mean is that they should follow a model similar to what Caroll Spinney did when Matt and Eric were understudying Big Bird and Oscar with him respectively. Up until Caroll’s retirement, Caroll and Matt took turns performing Big Bird while Caroll and Eric took turns performing Oscar until Matt and Eric finally inherited those roles completely.

That’s obviously what Disney and Henson wanted other Muppeteers to do, especially one who will not be mentioned.

6. Duke Remington

I kinda blame Eisner for killing Jim in that regard. :concern:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. Grumpo

Grumpo Member

Uhm. Just so I can be sure everything is on the right track, can somebody tell who are the current understudies for Gonzo and for Rowlf?

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

No one as far as we know

Grumpo likes this.
  9. Duke Remington

Let’s hope they’re in the process of training understudies/potential successors behind the scenes as we speak to ensure the longevity of the characters and avoid the same roadblocks they faced when Jim and Richard died.

10. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Well-Known Member

How about hand the Muppets off to another Disney Division like Lucasfilm? Lucasfilm is doing a great job making star wars content for Disney and not just Movies but also TV shows, Books, Comics and Video Games and VR could be a wise idea! imagine Muppets treatment under Kathleen Kennedy...

Duke Remington likes this.
  11. Duke Remington

Except that it’s Lucasfilm’s fault that the remaining Pigs in Space YouTube videos haven’t been uploaded—they were Star Wars parodies and the current head honchos at Lucasfilm don’t want people to associate comedy with Star Wars. All this was revealed in a recent interview with Kirk Thatcher.

This is also why a joke depicting Kylo Ren as a whiny spoiled manchild got cut from Ralph Breaks the Internet.

So it appears that the current Lucasfilm people need to lighten up. Hope they’ll do that after Episode IX comes out, if anything.

12. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

I didn't know there weren't any new Pigs in Space videos on YouTube because of this. Thanks.

Duke Remington likes this.
  13. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

14. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

15. BlakeConor14

Huh?

16. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

"Muppets Live Another Day" should be joining Disney+, it shouldn't be cancelled! Besides, The Muppets are special to Disney.

17. BlakeConor14

Just my opinion mate. And I'm not too keen on Live another day tbh. I feel they have overused the muppets getting back together again nonsense and I would rather see something different

18. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

I see.

19. BlakeConor14

Yeah and it's just doesn't make sense to me.
    Is it a comedy or a serious drama because if it's the latter I really couldn't take Olaf the snowman solving crimes with Zoot and Floyd Pepper seriously.

And it's apparently meant to erase all events from the last decade so that means no Walter and no Constantine which pretty much means the last 9 years has been a waste in my eyes

20. DMHFan

DMHFan Well-Known Member

It's a comedy, I think.